Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 20-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
you can use the stuff that you have

La219 in the front and the Sp107/La 304 in the rear.

Works super i have them...

Good find those arms ....

mvh isobarik
hi iso and welshy, i tried installing the arms last night with the original c hub and the ZX-5 c hub, and i find that the zx-5 c hub pushes the front wheel much more outwards. i havent tried fitting the 62.5mm CVD yet to see if they will go in nicely with some moving space though. also if iremember right, the rear of the old lazer used a longer rear UJ at 3mm longer than the front, that would make it easier for me to get UJs, however after hearing about your tips welshy, i think i better look at your pics first.
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I will post pics later on of the rear hubs and front hubs on my zx so you can see why i run narrower rear end. Zx-5 (the shaft drive) rear hubs or (iso help me out here) the rear ultima rb type r rear hubs. Makes the car more dialable than the zx/zxr original hubs.

Sp-107
Sp-107.02 (2 degrees toe in inbuilt )
Sp-107 H (hard graphite version )
Sp-107V
Sp-107V2 ( 2 degrees toe in inbuilt )
Spw-123 ( alloy version )
Spw-123.02 ( you guessed it right alloy version with 2 degrees toein inbuilt )
La-304

mvh Isobarik
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
hi iso and welshy, i tried installing the arms last night with the original c hub and the ZX-5 c hub, and i find that the zx-5 c hub pushes the front wheel much more outwards. i havent tried fitting the 62.5mm CVD yet to see if they will go in nicely with some moving space though. also if iremember right, the rear of the old lazer used a longer rear UJ at 3mm longer than the front, that would make it easier for me to get UJs, however after hearing about your tips welshy, i think i better look at your pics first.
Actually its the otherway around the front when using the innerhole of the hub hole have an w-5063 wich are 3mm longer then the w5061 standard uj.

optima mid have the same offset on the rims its just the inner sleeve thats different. Kyosho Lazer 2.2 inch rims they have the old style offset in the rear but at the front they are deeper when measuring from the inside. thats why they started to drill their hubs and eventually they came up with an new one La-59 with two holes since when using the 2.2s at the front they came up narrow compared to the rear but when you moved the hub outward they neaded an longer UJ hence the w-5063

I have built my cars with La-219 and the Sp-107/La-304 hubs since they are working super and they are a perfect fit.

Well regarding the Uj´s front w-5063 or the la-232 65.5 mm from kyosho or 3 racing fit perfectly have those too.

in the rear w-5061 or well here come some problems w-5061 are 62.5 so um-510 fits but the axle is longer so what i have done is that i bought the um-510 and fitted the shorter axle from the La-232 part number is La-231.02

La-245 should be the combo of them both but since i dont have them i cant say for sure.

mvh isobarik
Old 20-09-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Iso,

Ive got a zx5 axle but now need to get the dogbone item to fit to it. What part number do you recommend to make the uj the same length (maybe 1mm shorter) as the original rear zxr ujs?
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

What lenght are they now

Avaliable lenghts are

mvh isobarik
Old 20-09-2011

Lets say 62.5 or 60.5

Im having issues with my proto Ujs where they are wearing out on the cups due to being a bit too long so now need to get it sorted hence why I already have the MIP type kyosho axles and only need the bone section.
Answer UK team driver
Old 20-09-2011

Quote:

Well regarding the Uj´s front w-5063 or the la-232 65.5 mm from kyosho or 3 racing fit perfectly have those too.

in the rear w-5061 or well here come some problems w-5061 are 62.5 so um-510 fits but the axle is longer so what i have done is that i bought the um-510 and fitted the shorter axle from the La-232 part number is La-231.02

La-245 should be the combo of them both but since i dont have them i cant say for sure.

mvh isobarik
thanks so much for the very informative information !
iso, i thought the standard zx-5 uses 62.5mm in the front and 65.5 in the rear? if that is so, the 62.5 from the zx-5 should fit straight in the rear of the ZX with SP107/La304 right ?
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Alcyon

Yupp that should do it....

The zx-5 uses 68 in front and 65.5 in rear.

mvh isobarik
Old 20-09-2011

Quote:
Alcyon

Yupp that should do it....

The zx-5 uses 68 in front and 65.5 in rear.

mvh isobarik
iso, i wonder if the zx-5 in your country and mine are different, of course over here most of the zx-5 are RTRs. according to my local hobby shop owner, the zx-5 uses 62.5 in front and 65.5 in rear. i actually bought 3racing 62.5, only a pair. i have just done a test fit on my optima mid, and i found this.
keep in mind the ball diff outdrive on the optima mid and lazer is the same.
look at the first photo, lazer zx arms, with ZX c hub, with 62.5 CVD. in the second photo, you see that the CVD bone end cannot go in any further, and the camber angle at arms level is zero ! you cant add any camber at all. thats becuase the kyosho ball diff has a step machined into it to prevent further travel than what you see in the picture. also notice in the 1st picture the distance the hex are from the arm edge, which is quite close. i beleive a 60.5 would be perfect here.
Look at the 3rd picture, its the ZX arms mounted with ZX-5 c hub with a 7 marked on it. Now look at picture 4. Notice that the 62.5 CVD bone end is further from the inside, that means i have more sliding space. That means the 62.5 CVD is perfect with ZX-5 c hub. however the ZX-5 hub needs to be grounded at the lower end cause its actually interfering with the arm ! i couldnt push the c hub inwards at the top, that means also no negative camber. Also notice in picture 3 how far out is the hex from the arm edge.

Lastly look at the last photo,showing ZX arm with ZX-5 hub LA304. in my next post, look at the picture. The 62.5 bone cannot go in any further, that means also cant adjust more negative camber. Conclusion is i also have to use 60.5 in the rear with ZX-5 hubs. i am waiting for LA-28 to arrive to test if the 62.5 will be perfect for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0039.JPG (493.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0041.jpg (223.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg pict0040.JPG (477.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0043.JPG (312.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0044.JPG (369.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 20-09-2011

the rear bone end maximum position. conclusion is, with zx arms and zx c hubs, the front track width is narrower than combination of ZX arms wih zx-5 c hub. and i beleive its the opposite for the rear . Rear ZX arms with rear ZX hub will be wider than zx arms with zx-5 hub. please correct me if i am wrong. there could be 2 possibilites why i am getting a different result than you guys.
The C hub in picture 1 may not be Lazer ZX, but this is the hub i got with my ZX when i bought it used in 1992. Do you guys recognize this c hub? if i am not mistaken the Lazer zx c hub part LA-27 has the upper rod mounting placed after the kingpin, not before it. the other possibilty is kyosho revised the design of the ball diff outdrive somewhere maybe in 1990 perhaps with a deeper step machined into it, and my outdrives could be the old type ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0046.JPG (332.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Alcyon

rear

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/LA232-U...55_p_3629.html

front

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/search....20&search.y=18

3racing just do the rear 65.5 and the 68 front

mvh isobarik
Old 20-09-2011

Quote:
the rear bone end maximum position. conclusion is, with zx arms and zx c hubs, the front track width is narrower than combination of ZX arms wih zx-5 c hub. and i beleive its the opposite for the rear . Rear ZX arms with rear ZX hub will be wider than zx arms with zx-5 hub. please correct me if i am wrong. there could be 2 possibilites why i am getting a different result than you guys.
The C hub in picture 1 may not be Lazer ZX, but this is the hub i got with my ZX when i bought it used in 1992. Do you guys recognize this c hub? if i am not mistaken the Lazer zx c hub part LA-27 has the upper rod mounting placed after the kingpin, not before it. the other possibilty is kyosho revised the design of the ball diff outdrive somewhere maybe in 1990 perhaps with a deeper step machined into it, and my outdrives could be the old type ?
Picture one is a ZX/ZXR front hub and is correct (1st piccy on the left). I personally wouldn't use the ZX5 front hubs on the ZX or ZXR as there is a fractional difference, and can cause problems with the UJs, like what your having. Yes the rear hub in the picture you have is what I use and would prefer a fractionally (1mm) shorter UJ to account for the movement inwards.

I based my designs on original Ujs that were standard in the kit but with Iso's help you should get the right length.
Answer UK team driver
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
Alcyon

rear

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/LA232-U...55_p_3629.html

front

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/search....20&search.y=18

3racing just do the rear 65.5 and the 68 front

mvh isobarik
hmm, that means i am actually installing a 65.5 not a 62.5! when i go home tonight i will measure the CVD i have against W-5061 and see the difference. no wonder i am having problems ! looks like my hobby shop knows squat after all !
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
guys, i went to my local hobby shop, and i found 8 bags of Lazer ZX arms from a 3rd party manufacturer calle MPP from 1990 ! i feel so stupid becuase it was right under my nose all this time and i didnt know ! i much prefer the ZX arms over the ZX-5.
now alls left is to get the rear hubs and front c hubs . quick question, the ZX uses an odd looking upper turnbuckle for the front outer link, it is possible to use a standard turnbuckle, or a ZX-5 ballstud kingpin with a ZX-5 ballstud? will it severly limit the front suspension travel?
LA-27 & LA-28
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220860132681...84.m1555.l2649
KINGPIN
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220860130666...84.m1555.l2649
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
What lenght are they now

Avaliable lenghts are

mvh isobarik
iso, what are the part numbers for 62.5 and 60.5 ?
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Lastly look at the last photo,showing ZX arm with ZX-5 hub LA304. in my next post, look at the picture. The 62.5 bone cannot go in any further, that means also cant adjust more negative camber. Conclusion is i also have to use 60.5 in the rear with ZX-5 hubs. i am waiting for LA-28 to arrive to test if the 62.5 will be perfect for it.[/QUOTE]

the one you are trying to fit in the rear is not the 62.5 its the 65.5 thats why its a perfect fit in the front but not in the rear.

have tried that so i know

where have you bought youre cvds from ???

and yes you have to cut/dremel a little bit in the arm to gain some movment for the la 219

If you have bought the cheaper 3 racing bones they come in lenght of 68 and 65.5 use the shorter one for the front of the zxr

the 60.5 are wierd in that way that the bone yes 60.5 ut the axle itself is longer so the total is not shorter.

If you just follow these instructions

LA-232

and

2st um-510.01 bones and 2st la-231.02 axle

thats what you need have done that and yes they fit

mvh Isobarik
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
hmm, that means i am actually installing a 65.5 not a 62.5! when i go home tonight i will measure the CVD i have against W-5061 and see the difference. no wonder i am having problems ! looks like my hobby shop knows squat after all !

yeah to get the right rear bone just follow the instrctions above .

and yes LHS usually know suat since im getting email from mine and helping him out with parts for his customer.

mvh isobarik
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
the one you are trying to fit in the rear is not the 62.5 its the 65.5 thats why its a perfect fit in the front but not in the rear.

have tried that so i know

where have you bought youre cvds from ???

mvh Isobarik
those bones are 3racing bones i presume 65.5mm i bought from my LHS.
another question iso, why not just install LA245 since its 62.5mm, and the axle part is the same as LA232 ? if use LA-28 rear hub with Lazer ZX rear arm, i think the 65.5 will fit perfect? If use LA-59 front hub and Front ZX arm, the 62.5mm(LA245) will be perfect ? For 62.5mm i will have no choice but buy kyosho. pretty expensive compared to 3racing !
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

If you use the LA-59 and want to use the inner hole ie the wide stance so then the 62.5 is to short since the lenght is the same as w5061

The La-245 why dont i recomend it since i have not tried it I cant say if it will fit or not so are you sure about the axle lenght on the LA-245 then go a head why i recomended the stuff that i did in the way that i did is that i know it works.

the LA-219 and the la-304 is so much easier to get then the zxr dito.

mvh isobarik
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
If you use the LA-59 and want to use the inner hole ie the wide stance so then the 62.5 is to short since the lenght is the same as w5061

The La-245 why dont i recomend it since i have not tried it I cant say if it will fit or not so are you sure about the axle lenght on the LA-245 then go a head why i recomended the stuff that i did in the way that i did is that i know it works.

the LA-219 and the la-304 is so much easier to get then the zxr dito.

mvh isobarik
ok that means with LA-59 i will use 65.5 in front. i think you are not certain if LA245 axle stub pin spacing is the same as LA232 right?
rcently i stumbled upon someone who wants to sell a ZX to me. it seems all original with the exception of alloy arm braces. my question is if i were to race it on a loose, tight offroad track with one small jump and one BIG jump, is there anyhting i should change on the car? Is the stock torque splitter an advantage on such a track? do i need to change the top shaft to a zx-r slipper shaft? also is there anyone making the reproduction for the front gearbox? i dont think i will change the suspension becuase from my experience with my old lazer, the car understeers a bit, and is very easy to drive, and thats the way i like it.