Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 23-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post
When you say "mud" I hope you mean "clay" ....
Just as a note, the track will be clay but throughout the thread i may class it as mud by mistake, but it is deffently clay
Old 23-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbot View Post
A few years ago I found a unit in stevenage to open a unit i had a few issues that stopped me moving it forward.

The business rate on the unit was light industrial not leisure rate the local council had issues with me using the venue for this as they did not want children on the business park they also got the valuation office involved to work out the new business rate.
They suggested that I took a unit on the leisure park but the rent and rates were too expensive.
I would advise that if the main use of the venue is model car racing you check this out first there are ways round this, if one part of the venue is used or highed out for one off events you can get away with it.
I believe this is why dirt arena closed!
There is a myth going round that model car tracks don’t pay rates as they are no profit making this is not true I found out the hard way and are club got a back dated bill of over £6K
Please get everything in place first speak to the landlord about what you’re doing and council get it in writing as well.
This is different than running a club at a hall/sports ground where you hire room/land off them they will be paying the rate on the land/building.
Good luck
Noted, thanks i will look into it. My family own the unit outright but i will still talk to the council
Old 27-01-2012

Just a quick update:

Got all the wood onvoard of my van now, will be there nice and early tomorrow morning to get the rest of the track boarders built. Then will post more pictures tomorrow along with a walk around video and a exact measurement of the track length. Hopefully will then be able to start progress on rostum and orginising the clay

Sam (still looking for a company to sponsor the race track and ill name the venue in there honor)
Old 28-01-2012

Right, spent a good few hours there this morning and got nearly all the track markings/boarders done, so you can really see the shape.

The view from where the rostum will be (minus the blinding light );

Im now fully aware of the size of the track and i think it is the right width and length for 1/16ths but i also think you could get away with 1/10th racing but there may be quite a few laps done

Next weekends plan:

Tarpaulin the floor inside the boarders
Build Rustrum
Get in the clay
Old 28-01-2012

Looking good and id say you have put a lot of effort and time in to this project and all for a hobby too,i look forward to running my cars down there. Are you going to put some banked curves/corners in by any chance?

jK
Old 28-01-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbot View Post
A few years ago I found a unit in stevenage to open a unit i had a few issues that stopped me moving it forward.

The business rate on the unit was light industrial not leisure rate the local council had issues with me using the venue for this as they did not want children on the business park they also got the valuation office involved to work out the new business rate.
They suggested that I took a unit on the leisure park but the rent and rates were too expensive.
I would advise that if the main use of the venue is model car racing you check this out first there are ways round this, if one part of the venue is used or highed out for one off events you can get away with it.
I believe this is why dirt arena closed!
There is a myth going round that model car tracks don’t pay rates as they are no profit making this is not true I found out the hard way and are club got a back dated bill of over £6K
Please get everything in place first speak to the landlord about what you’re doing and council get it in writing as well.
This is different than running a club at a hall/sports ground where you hire room/land off them they will be paying the rate on the land/building.
Good luck
The first thing you need to do is check which use classes the unit has planning for, if you find it hasn't got planning for leisure use and just the usual B1,B2 & B8 you will need to apply for planning permission- the council will visit and they will not take kindly to you having already started works, it makes them far less likely to give retrospective planning. Don't underestimate the planners - you will do so at your peril!
Old 01-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesk View Post
Looking good and id say you have put a lot of effort and time in to this project and all for a hobby too,i look forward to running my cars down there. Are you going to put some banked curves/corners in by any chance?

jK
Thanks its a labour of love, lol.

I will be introducing banked corners etc and jumps when the clay goes down. The boarders are there purly to hold the clay in place.

Sadly no videos atm but ill run my 1/16th Or 1/10th round thus weekend on the flat track and post vids
Old 01-02-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I was looking at a Losi Eight mini yesterday - this is the sort of venue it was made for.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
I was looking at a Losi Eight mini yesterday - this is the sort of venue it was made for.
I agree

Spent the morning door at the track this morning well 8-3 so more than just a morning.

Few things are changing, like the track layout going to include a crossover to make the most of the limited space i have

Today we spent the day building the rostum, its 16ft long and elevatedjust under 2ft off the floor. (its not finished yet)

Alot of the internal boarders are going to be removed and replaced with plastic tubing which will allow track changed easier

Sam
Old 11-02-2012

i wish we had a indoor dirt (clay) track up here in the north.

looking great mate

Old 12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamorsum96 View Post
i wish we had a indoor dirt (clay) track up here in the north.

looking great mate
Cheers mate, ive tried quite hard, does get frustrating at times. The only thing which is really holding me back atm is the search for Clay, once that is found and delivered then it wont take long after.

Rostrum is now completed apart from a lick of paint and the step. The base of the rostrum is now all bolted down the the floor so it wont go anywhere. Also had 6 people on it today and it didnt fall down! Also ive measured out that there is enough room on the rostrum for 8 people allowing each person to have 2ft of space

Also here is the one of the layouts im gonna settle for which is going to have a crossover just so i can utilise more of the space

(the picture isnt to scale or size, its just a rough one with layout on it)

Sadly im away at the first round of karting nationals next weekend so next progress wont be for a fortnight

Sam
Old 13-02-2012

A cross-over? Seriously?

SilverstoneRCMCC
Old 13-02-2012

Default Cross over

A cross over is a great idea to give a longer lap in a small area. Many great 1/8th tracks have done it in the past. As long as you use mesh or see through material so you can always see the cars. Also don't forget to put sides on to stop cars falling off.
A large thing to think about as well is being able to marshal/get to the cars if they crash on/under it.
Old 13-02-2012
Mad Member

Default awsome

Cross overs are awsome if done right, terrible if not done right..... SO........

Do it right and will be great!!!!

Good luck.

Would love to come see it once done.
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 13-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1END View Post
A cross-over? Seriously?

Yes seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Larner View Post
A cross over is a great idea to give a longer lap in a small area. Many great 1/8th tracks have done it in the past. As long as you use mesh or see through material so you can always see the cars. Also don't forget to put sides on to stop cars falling off.
A large thing to think about as well is being able to marshal/get to the cars if they crash on/under it.
Way ahead of you, i plan to use clear plastic, now do i choose corrigated or smooth? Will have sides on it aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
Cross overs are awsome if done right, terrible if not done right..... SO........

Do it right and will be great!!!!

Good luck.

Would love to come see it once done.
Hope to see you here too!

I need to raise funds for a transponder setup for track so will run practise days until i can buy one so i can run race nights
Old 13-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looking good Karting! Keep up the good work.

I'v got my Tamiya 201 in rear motor ready to hit your track!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 13-02-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The first thing you need to do is check which use classes the unit has planning for, if you find it hasn't got planning for leisure use and just the usual B1,B2 & B8 you will need to apply for planning permission- the council will visit and they will not take kindly to you having already started works, it makes them far less likely to give retrospective planning. Don't underestimate the planners - you will do so at your peril!
.....as you found out the hard way James.
Did anything come of your indoor project?
Old 13-02-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

We have never done anything without planning permission - just to make that clear ! We just tried very, very, very hard to get permission for a building to house an indoor clay track, sadly we couldn't get permission for the building.

Last edited by James; 13-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 13-02-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

does this mean we're all soming to RHR for a week soon.....

Or is that the 'Special oOple Invernational Surprise' this year !!!

'Hint, you may need Holeshots' somewhere on the Entry Form.......

Old 25-02-2012

Not much of a update for a few weeks, so ill bang in a big-un.

First of all, a supplier for the clay has been found! Barring any problems clay should be delivered early next month.

Secondly, Track crossover is nearly finished, track has been swept and all nails and screws have been removed

Thirdly, thanks to MR Trueman i now have shed loads of track markings

Now for some pictures:

Hope to see you all for when its finished for; testing the track and advice/modding for jumps to suit from beginner to experienced. Plan to have one big feature jump, the crossover jump/bridge, one set of doubles/triples, one bit of 'whoops' and some other bits thrown in. With banked and off camber corners. Might even be able to get a wall ride in there too for extra length.

I think when its open i will:

One night during the week for racedays (will have to make sure it clashes with no other local clubs)
One day during the weekend for general practise days and beginners

Sam