Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 01-06-2011

can you give me details on the car like, condition and price please.
Old 02-06-2011

Be careful if you want a PSI kit... They tend to break on high grip surfaces (especially carpet over here in the UK). The good thing about RCjunky's car is that he has strengthened the upper decks with thicker material so shouldn't suffer (hopefully) from this any more.
Old 02-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok so being a stubbon bugger I gave it another try today heres the results:
No body as yet Ill see if I keep it as a mid

I don't have a LP servo so the lipo had to go in sideways

I think making a longer t plate and having the motor a little further back would then allow for the LP servo and the lipo to go in straight

Now just to test it out, hopefully tomorrow
Old 02-06-2011

I actually used a busted main chassis ( I had the fist kit made, the spot it broke was redisgned before anyone else got there hands on a kit) and I've run it weekly since January or carpet and no issues at all, that was one of the planed revisions for a gen2 kit tht never happened but I think the files where made and the new owner should be able to make them (but a 2 peice design with the extra thickness to reduce costs) but I know this was an issue before we started carpet so the stock flexy upper deck is still on one peice, so it still works amazingly on dirt. The xxx-cr thats mid motor is much better, even my home brew conversion was better then stock.
Old 02-06-2011

i just moved my idler gear bellow the spur so i can use any pinion. It was difficult but it works well. I had to drill and tap the motor plate.
Old 02-06-2011

the pics posted of the mid by onekiwi seem too show the rear wheels having toe out ?. May just be the way the photos were taken tho.
Old 03-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I haven't changed anythiing since I turned them around
Any set up tips?
Old 03-06-2011

make sure you have left the rear pivot blocks the correct way around and only turned the gearbox around. The other thing that i found is that i run is lots of droop at the rear.
Old 03-06-2011

lots of droop is good for these cars, and you keep the stock pivot facing the same direction. For dirt I ran the shocks all the way to the inside for the most droop, for carpet its just slammed to the ground.
Old 06-06-2011

i got a old motor plate off a mate and drilled it to accept the idler gear to make a 4 gear transmission. I can use any size pinion. Its not that neat but works just fine. Sorry about pic quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Losi 4th gear.jpg (185.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-06-2011

When the losi PSI conversion came out there wasn't a 4 gear tranny, instead there was a similar extrenal system, except it had a cam type system so it would also work with any spur and pinion :P but it moved the motor too far forward as it would with any external system, so the 4 gear system actually made the car faster with more rear weight.
Old 06-06-2011

when you used the psi car, did you consider running the lipo down the centre. I know it would give less rear traction but mine is down the centre and it has loads of rear grip on any surface.
Old 06-06-2011

I tried saddles like the 22 has and it had too much front weight, a lipo down the center would be worse, it pushed really bad entering, and super loose exiting. it also would need to revise the steering set up to do it. BTW I still run the car and beat 22's with ease
Old 06-06-2011

I tried the 22 and after only 3 or 4 weeks of running the car and trying to get it working, I just had to give up and go back to the CR2...

I built the CR2 up from bits that a mate of mine (team Crocker, lol) had lying around in his kit... chucked it together on a Thursday nights over a few beers and raced it on the Saturday... I won the days racing, beating many many 22 drivers - and then repeated the win the following week! Fingers crossed that next weekend I'll maintain my 100% record!!!

The 22 will be a good car in approx 6 - 12 months time, but it is not yet!

Whilst we're talking about CR2's... I've been in touch with a guy who can make some 4 geared gearbox's for the CR2. He's sounding a wee bit cold about the idea of making some as it takes so long to set the machine up. So I'm trying to drum up some interest to see if there are any other CR2 drivers that would be interested at having one made?? I already know of about 6 but the more the better - if there's lots then he'll have no choice but to give into demand

Good times, Jon!
Old 07-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I did the same in the last pic but had my gear we can say on the top..

I ran a losi 6.5 84 and 19/20 and it got hot...

In that pic isn't that 3 gears not 4? pinion spur and idle, wheres the fourth
Old 07-06-2011

the external idler is the 4th gear in effect onekiwi. I had seen a mod where people were using a 20t pinion only and using a longer motor screw with the idler on it. I wanted to use different pinions so i didnt want to do that tho. I am making a twin deck carbon version of my car in the next few weeks.
Old 07-06-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

thats what I did.. a pain if ya want to change pinions. I am getting an extra motor plate so I may just drill another hole or make the motor mount holes a little bigger so I can move the motor around a little more
Old 07-06-2011

For those interested, I got an email back from the new PSI owner and he said he's set up to make kits and has been working on improuving the tranny cases due to some quality issues and he'll be using a differant machine to make the holes for the bearings (he never said what tool he'd use but I think it might be a boreing head on a verticle mill) but he can currently make kits so if you want one, send him an email, he thinks his spam filter might be why people aren't getting replies
Old 07-06-2011
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunky View Post
When the losi PSI conversion came out there wasn't a 4 gear tranny, instead there was a similar extrenal system, except it had a cam type system so it would also work with any spur and pinion :P but it moved the motor too far forward as it would with any external system, so the 4 gear system actually made the car faster with more rear weight.
The 4 gear gearbox made my CR2 slower
Old 07-06-2011

maybe I'll try the old cam gear system tonight, it will still just bolt right in and now running carpet I haven't tried it, but I'm concerned it might make things worse as my car is pretty dialed now, and it doesn't need any more steering (going from yellow rears to blue makes it undrivable, touch the gas and you'll spin)