Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

It's funny to read that many of you apparently actually have the money to try out all these cars I just made the consideration between the TRF201 or the TLR22 this summer - and in the end went for the 201, considering it was based off a B4 (which seems to be a safe and popular choice for racing and bashing) and I have some history with collecting Tamiyas. I don't have money to sell it on and get another car to try out, though I have to say that this being my first truly modern competition buggy I absolutely love it!

Of the 22 I also heard there were some quality issues with stuff like chassis plates in some kits that weren't straight. It's bad news of course, but if you look at all the brands: The 22 apparently has bent parts from the box, the DEX210 no spares availability and a diff you could get a certificate for if you manage to build it right, the TRF201 has an idler that turned out to be weak and the part to which the front shock tower mounts is hardly available but is something that I've already damaged a couple of times, and the list goes on
Old 11-01-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKOR33 View Post
Umm no high profile drivers.......
One mr Darren Bloomfield maybe pretty sure he won the worlds warm up with the car and indoors recently has been winning quite a bit.
Sure correct me if i'm wrong guys but i'd say he a pretty good promotion for losi....
That was with a rear-motor configured car on a dirt track. The lack of success is with mid-motor on astro.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 11-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Can't judge a car just buy it's High profile wins, there are about 5ish drivers in the UK who could win a national with just about any car you give them. Lee martin drives the 201 into many top class wins...do we form a que for the 201? B4 is still the best car on the market as far as world results....yet how many people have changed away?

Judge a good car by it's regional club results and national results accross the field, a good car should be strong, made of good materials,be quite easy to set up to drive well and have good retail back up. And it shouldn't need loads of extra money spent on it,or loads of hacking with a dremal to get it to work.

The losi is a good car,but if you strugle to find a setup to sute you it can be quite unplesant to drive, thats not to say it's not a good car once you get it there

I think with the genaration of new mid,narrow cars is you must know how to set a car up to do what YOU want,as what you want maybe very diffrent to what bloomers,cragg, martin etc want. I along with a few other have tried a bloomers setup on my losi 8ight,we still can't work out how the hell he drives it.

In rallyx a few years back Dave Crompton was untouchable with his crono for several years,The only people brave enough to run a crono were a few team mates.....there was no que to buy one

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 11-01-2012

I feel its more about fashion than anything else. It seems to run in cycles, and very much having the latest car out seems to be something certain racers always do, then the next big thing comes along and a whole bunch of cars come up for sale and a differant thread on oople gets popular.
The hard bit is being able to shrug your shoulders and carry on with what you have.
I was certainly a better racer when i managed to stick to the same car for a whole season let alone when i raced the same car for 2 or seasons.

X4TE
X2C
Old 11-01-2012

Funny discussion all this. It seems to be very much a fashion thing lately, and also, I know many a Durango driver running the 22 in 2wd that has now changed for the dex210.

If TLR makes a good 4wd, that would bring back a lot of drivers. Being a brand with only a 2wd, in a market where every other manufacturer now can offer both, cannot be easy. The 22 is a great car, and working for the distributor means I have to drive one, But I'd rather like a Bmax2 to go along with my Bmax4:P

I can't imagine why the cars design would chase people away, and I believe it would just take a Lee Martin, Neil Cragg, a more electrifocused Bloomers or something like that to get drivers back on the wagon... That, and a 4wd.

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 11-01-2012
Mad Member

I can understand the thinking behind this thread as i have noticed a air few for sale recently too.

but there are also lots of Cougars changing hands regularly too...

Horizon sold an amazing amount of 22's in UK last year as it was a new concept of kit, was very reasonably priced in comparison to Cougar or a conversion cost of kit+ new chassis etc, had been kept quiet and nothing else was due for launch at that time or the following months... since then the DEX210 and C4.1 have been seen on tracks tested and released which will balance the field up with less running existing cars to try the next big thing or more an easier life.

Agree with the Losi Team folllowing in UK... i the car had a strong team of top drivers at National level then i feel opinions would be different.

The internet/forums popularity these days causes personal opinions to turn into rumours very quickly an this justs boosts brand rivalry and banter track side.

One thing that has been overlooked though... if they are for sale, they do sell quickly which means new drivers into the TLR fold

I love my 22 (all 3 of them!) will be sticking with it and going into this years outdoor season with set up knowledge tried and tested last year rather than starting from scratch

No r/c kit i've tried has ever felt right or instantly made me world champion out of the box, all have lots of settings to adjust, thats without the crop of shiny aftermarket tuning aids that are thrown at us these days.... just takes time to try them all to find a personal set up, its all part of the fun!
Old 11-01-2012

The 22 is a very good car, but its design ( roll centers, weight distribution, etc ) is largely based for the US-style tracks. So it has a lot of forward grip to attack big jumps coming out of the corners, and it likes to rotate on a dime because the US tracks are often less flowing (lots of 90/180deg. sharp turns) than the European / UK tracks.

Big plus for this is that the 22 is a monster on the tight indoor tracks.

Biggest problem that I found with it was the pistons. Sad because on the previous losi shocks the pistons were super consistent. Now on the versions I've seen (haven’t seen recent ones though, so maybe there better at this time) the pistons weren't flat and the holes weren't always drilled straight. But there are a couple of really good aftermarket pistons available, so easy solution right there.

If you have trouble with the amount of steering while exiting corners, just adjust the rear anti-squad so it doesn't transfer as much weight to the rear while accelerating

I've modded the rear hubs. I've lowered them by about 2mm. It gives the car a lot more stability on longer sweeping turns.

Also changed the slipper, I replaced the stock items with the AE slipperpads (and AE style spur) and I switched back to the old slipperspring which is more consistent.

Apart from that. Excellent piece of machinery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22 - old slipper setup.JPG (20.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 22 - lowered rear hub (1).JPG (51.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 22 - lowered rear hub (3).JPG (41.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 22 - lowered rear hub (2).JPG (31.6 KB, 98 views)
Old 12-01-2012

Same thing is happening here in the U.S., I bought 2 to run one as a mid and one as a rear. Both were second hand and almost new , saved a ton of money. But it was just overkill so I'm selling one to make room.... for the 210 which arrived today.... second hand but still new in the box again saving $$$ .

Now if I could find a deal like that on a C6 Corvette I would be

I ordered 50 sets of tires yesterday I should be set for a while. Panther.
Old 15-01-2012

I now want to see mr bloomfield in Racer selling that car. Well done on the super win at Area 51. Il eat my words.

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 16-01-2012

The 22 is actually a really good car. And in terms of quality for a 10th buggy it's build like a tank. I still have yet to break anything or have anything need replacing in over 6 months of ownership.

The problem with the 22 is that it is designed for low grip American clay tracks and as such has far too much front end grip for uk tracks.

If you follow bloomfields setup though, including the spindle camber link mod then it transforms the car. I have tried it along with the battery mod and running 104g weight and the cream weight and rather than too much steering I now have under steer. A tiny bit too much infact for my style so I jut need to dial that out.

Fact is though if you are struggling to make the car work for you then put some time in to using the bloomers setup as your starting point. He is employed by TLR to test cars all day so who better to listen to. It's not gonna be for everyone but it's a great start point and completely changes the car.
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post
The 22 is actually a really good car. And in terms of quality for a 10th buggy it's build like a tank. I still have yet to break anything or have anything need replacing in over 6 months of ownership.

The problem with the 22 is that it is designed for low grip American clay tracks and as such has far too much front end grip for uk tracks.

If you follow bloomfields setup though, including the spindle camber link mod then it transforms the car. I have tried it along with the battery mod and running 104g weight and the cream weight and rather than too much steering I now have under steer. A tiny bit too much infact for my style so I jut need to dial that out.

Fact is though if you are struggling to make the car work for you then put some time in to using the bloomers setup as your starting point. He is employed by TLR to test cars all day so who better to listen to. It's not gonna be for everyone but it's a great start point and completely changes the car.

Where do we find the setup. Is it carpet or Astro and also is there anyway it might not be in adobe reader. Its a nightmare program. What happened to good old fashioned word

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 16-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgifford View Post
Where do we find the setup. Is it carpet or Astro and also is there anyway it might not be in adobe reader. Its a nightmare program. What happened to good old fashioned word
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/se...023/index.html

i beleive this is the base setup he runs for any surface
Old 16-01-2012

i think the build quality is one of the best...

great car..

most annoying thing about it is the space inside when runniing mid, everything has to be micro (or you need to buy a new shell and mod sides)
Old 17-01-2012

Default bloomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22jgs View Post

Can you post a picture of the modded camberlinks bloomer runs...

Thanks
Old 17-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleader View Post
Can you post a picture of the modded camberlinks bloomer runs...

Thanks

Have a look at this picture. Look at were the camber links are now, then look to the side and you will see the extra ball stud.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 17-01-2012

Her is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mms_img-390330253 (2).jpg (196.6 KB, 149 views)

Norway
Old 18-01-2012

Default Bloomy

Thanks for the pictures. I read some material had to be removed from the hub. How much?

How do you like this setup. Pros and cons?

I race 17.5 non boosted on a tight indoor carpet track.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Old 18-01-2012

It should be half the size (take off 3mm)
You need longer Turnbuckels to.
I just made ​​the modification so I have not tried the car yet.

Norway
Old 18-01-2012

As Flode has mentioned remove 3mm, you will then need to redrill the hole to open it up to 3mm in size, this alows the long ball stud to go through and only grip on the caster block and not the spindle, this allows your steering to still be free moving and smooth. You will need longer turnbuckes, losi do a 55mm length pair TLR6071, i would build up a seperate set so you can do as Darren has done and quickly change from the standard link positions to these modified ones if necessary.

On track - You will notice the car will feel very similar going in to the turn but it will let go of the turn quicker, the biggest difference i found was getting out of a corner on power as the rear end would stay in line much more and calm the car down as the front would let go of the turn, most peoples inboard cars that i have done this mod to prefer it, but on the outboard car it is not good and not a mod i would recommend.
If you ever need more steering as Darren did at the Area 51gp you just go back to the standard link.

Remember to space up the ball studd on the bulkhead to 3mm when you run the modified link and lower the ball stud when you run the standard link position

Si
Old 18-01-2012

i havent used longer turnbuckles, but as Si says above.
much nice to drive.