Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-07-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Right, just so you guys know, I have sent an idler gear away, to be copied by RW Racing, so you can have a machined idler gear. Tamiya only sell the gear in a pack with the diff gear.
Old 14-07-2010

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

The same car that ate an idler dnf'd last week with a gear box failure(i have not been able to confirm if it was an idler or a spur gear,once i find out for sure ill post back)

So far of the 5 cars at our track only one car has had any type of issue.. we are going into our 4 week now of racin them
Old 15-07-2010

Well the same car lost its 3rd ilder gear last nite, and a second care lost its first..... My self and one other driver have logged the most laps with our cars and have not seen this failure...yet.

we are at a loss as to why this is happening. i beleive a gear box case is going to be ordered to try out.
Old 15-07-2010

Below is a quote from Randy Caster (TRF driver from the USA) found in RCTech's forum:

"Tamiya has recognized an issue with the idler gear material, and are already working on a more durable material. Some people are having issues, some aren't, I think it has a lot to do with how much motor you are using, and making sure your diff/slipper are set correctly.

For anyone building, or rebuilding their 201 transmission, before installing the idler gear, boil it in water a couple times. This will help to soften the material and make it less brittle, and should hopefully solve the issue altogether until the new parts are available from Tamiya.

If you do happen to strip an idler gear, I would recommend replacing the diff gear and idler gear. This is basically just to be sure that none of the teeth on the diff gear are chipped or cracked and would cause another failure."

Old 15-07-2010

boiling! Wow have not hear of that since the old AE pan car days! LOL Oh and HPI with there PRO3 Oh well At least they are on top of it. Wont hold my breath about Tamiya handing out next gen gear sets to early owners though

FYI: At my club we run 13.5 motors. most have turbo/supercharged software in effect and the track is a hard packed small indoor track.... Everyone running the new car has years and years of race experience so slipper settings should not be the issue, but worth looking at.
Old 16-07-2010

It might sound like blasphemy but the gears from kyosho rb5 (um509) fits in the 201.
The diff gear is identical but the idler is 26t instead of 27t.
There is an optional 26t idler in delerin (umw513)
Old 21-07-2010

my idler let go at the weekend this was after 9 5min runs spread over 2 race days(let go during the 10th)hope tamiya sort this quickly
Old 21-07-2010

I shall call RW tomorrow, see how well my idler gears are coming on
Old 22-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
It might sound like blasphemy but the gears from kyosho rb5 (um509) fits in the 201.
The diff gear is identical but the idler is 26t instead of 27t.
There is an optional 26t idler in delerin (umw513)
I thought the same thing but didn't know anything about the pitch/diameter/module ect of the Kyosho gear.
Also there's aftermarket metal Idlers for the RB5 on ebay.
Old 22-07-2010

WEll of the regular Tamiya racers at my local track, i'm the last man standing... My friends who's car has the most laps on it, let go tonight, on single tooth on the idler snapped off. My car knock on wood is second in total laps and im still on the original gear..

like a ticking time bomb.... My B4 sits in the padock nightly.. i have a feeling she will be rolled out soon.
Old 22-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I shall call RW tomorrow, see how well my idler gears are coming on

Any update Steve ? I emailed them last night but no reply as yet. Im holding off my build until these gears are ready

See My Feedback

Old 22-07-2010

One of our racers ran the Kysosho 26T idler last night. Said it meshed nicely and possibly the tranny rotates a bit more free.
Old 22-07-2010

I tried a couple of times, but with RW he is always busy, try again in the morning
Old 22-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I tried a couple of times, but with RW he is always busy, try again in the morning

Ok cool - keep me posted please mate

See My Feedback

Old 22-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ticking time bomb is a good way of saying it!! Has anyone tried boiling them and done decent mileage after? Also, how much grease are you all using on the gears when you build?

There's no doubt this is an issue, just wondering what can help mitigate it!?
Old 22-07-2010

looking at it and after chatting with Dyna, if it is going to go, it will go early, otherwise it will run and run, to do with fibre alignment in the mouldning
Old 23-07-2010

mine went straight in no boiling and used plenty of grease.have boiled the replacement gears so will see what happens
Old 23-07-2010

Right, have spoke to RW Racing, idler gears should be released middle to end of next week, you can buy them from

www.fusionhobbies.com

or

http://www.m-k-racing.com/

They are machined out of solid material, and the usual very high quality RW standard.
Old 23-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Right, have spoke to RW Racing, idler gears should be released middle to end of next week, you can buy them from

www.fusionhobbies.com

or

http://www.m-k-racing.com/

They are machined out of solid material, and the usual very high quality RW standard.

Thankyou Steve !

See My Feedback

Old 23-07-2010

no worries, should be miles better than the kit one (which is unusual for Tamiya), plus you wont have to buy it in a pack with the diff gear.