Old 09-08-2015

Default Half a second behind

Yes I know my average was poor....!!! 😁
Old 09-08-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
I did the same without taking a solder to the servo.

Take the baseplate off, slide the rubber grommet along the servo wire and then carefully remove a small amount of plastic from the baseplate so the wire can exit straight back from the servo. Screw the baseplate back on and then fold the wire along the bottom of the baseplate, holding it in place with some Shoe-Goo.

If you ever want to sell the servo, the grommet will go back and the wire can be restored to the original position.

Note that when you do this you will break the paper seal on the servo and your warranty will be void. HTH
I also shortened my wire at the same time, and my sticker remained intact lol
Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Have you tried a power cap in the received, Google spectrum power cap to were what I mean
Thank you Mark, that's worth a try. Cheers
Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
I did the same without taking a solder to the servo.

Take the baseplate off, slide the rubber grommet along the servo wire and then carefully remove a small amount of plastic from the baseplate so the wire can exit straight back from the servo. Screw the baseplate back on and then fold the wire along the bottom of the baseplate, holding it in place with some Shoe-Goo.

If you ever want to sell the servo, the grommet will go back and the wire can be restored to the original position.

Note that when you do this you will break the paper seal on the servo and your warranty will be void. HTH

Thanks Mark and Slowone advice really appreciated.
Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
STM - Get the iron out...? You wear clean, pressed shirts to an RC club? Now that's impressive!
LoL.........
Old 10-08-2015

Hey Chaps
How much temperature does a motor fan strip off the heat of a motor? I am running slightly (note; sarcasm) too hot (90°) with my D4. I have the timing on 50 and a 70T 35pinion with 46mm tyres, giving a run out of 72.26... Everyone says a run out with a D4 should be around 80, do you think I'm running hot because the motor is over revving?

Thanks in advance.

Stu
Old 10-08-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

80 seems way too big, on a large national track the highest I can find for a d4 is 71, and never seen any other much above that.

Driving style and throttle application is a big factor to motor heat.
Old 10-08-2015

Hi Stu...... Did you change your spur gear?

As im sure the standard spur on a zen is 66, which would give you a rollout of 76.64
Old 10-08-2015

Thanks Sam, good point, it is 66T, forgetting myself!
I have ordered up the fan for cooling, most have suggested at Mairitime Sam 80/81 is a good rollout. will keep to that and see how the fan goes on reducing the heat...

You'll be missed Thursday! Thanks so much for all your help yesterday, it was great fun as ever!

G has your pinion!!! Don't forget...
Old 10-08-2015

Any constructive criticism on my driving would be gratefully received. I am the last car on the grid, white car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=341V5A4Odv8

Its was an immense day, so much fun!!

Thanks Newbury RCCC

Best Wishes
Stu
Old 10-08-2015
Mad Member

Stu, I would gear it down or knock some timing off. A fan stuck on the back of the car will upset the handling. I know it is not that heavy, but it will make a difference.

For it to have any effect it has to be close to the motor which means having it on top. Any position more than 5mm away from the can will have minimal effect on temps. I doubt it would reduce temps by more than ten degrees over the run.

If this was such a good idea, everyone would be doing it by now. No one does, so that tells us something, eh?!!
Old 10-08-2015
Mad Member

Stu, watching the video your car is definitely over-geared and/or over-timed. Notice how everyone catches you through the sweeper as your car bogs down - that's where the heat gets generated. Out of the corners they have you for breakfast. When the orange and white car crashes and then catches you, your corner speeds are similar but he out-accelerates you from every turn.

As for the driving, you are trying too hard IMHO. You seem to throw the car into a corner, miss the apex and have too much speed so making you exit wide. Watch the front runners and see how much closer they are to the apex and tight on the exit.

Because foam tyres never completely lose grip, it is assumed that cars can always go faster. The tyres are losing grip and that means you can't vary the line effectively. When the front end loses grip, the car will not go where you point it, it will go where it has enough grip to go, and that usually means missing the apex and exiting too wide.

There is a sweet spot for fast cornering on foam tyres and it is rarely flat out. Just below it the car will in effect turn itself. Try backing off earlier and rolling the car through the corner and you'll see how quickly it turns and how easy it is to hold your chosen line. Speed that up until you are back to missing apexes and exiting wide - somewhere in between is that sweet spot.

Just my thoughts, hopefully you will get others.
Old 11-08-2015

Hi SlowOne
Really great stuff... After watching the other drivers a few times, I had seen their ability to feed the throttle which I certainly don't feel I do.
The cars look of not having grip is me trying to not make my turns long a smooth, but I can obviously only do this if the car is better balanced, as I feel if I turn sharper hitting the apex I will cause too much drag on the carpet if you know what I mean....
I will taper my speeds into the bends more, I feel and see that, and as Mark said, throttle control is a big contributing factor on the motor themperature.
I regret purchasing the motor fan now but i am sure i can move it on....
Thanks in advance, will report back after Thursday.. Because Thursday is, yep you guessed it, Maritime!
Old 11-08-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucartwright View Post
I regret purchasing the motor fan now but i am sure i can move it on....
There is a saying - measure twice and cut once! When problem's arise, think them through carefully before you jump - eggs... sucking... teach you... etc.

Problems have to be solved at root cause, not at symptom level. One thing that will serve anyone well in racing is to know how to analyse what the car is doing, and then think through why that is happening. That's when asking others helps so much - they might not be right but they will give you nuggets of information.

Just to rub salt into the wounds and patronise you further (!!) there were posts on here saying people were running the D4 at 80mm/rev, higher than you, but they didn't complain of overheating. There's a clue that says you are generating too much heat in the motor.

The question that was crying out to be asked was "what makes a motor overheat?" Armed with those answers I am certain you could have worked out what I said above.

I've re-read this a couple of times and it still sounds crap, so apologies for that. I mean nothing by it, just trying to give you other tips on race cars and getting the best from them with the help of your racing buddies. And that sounds even worse so now I am in this hole I am going to stop digging!! Best of luck on Thursday.
Old 12-08-2015

Morning SlowOne
Firstly, the messages you post always come across with the right tone and above all else a very caring manner.. Please don't apologies, really appreciate yours and anyone who chips in with any help.

I think the problem to date has been my car, the Schumacher, for me that is, didn't deliver this simplistic build and run which meant my car was not truly set right like others who have far more experience. Having run the Zen only twice, turned up to a meeting in Newbury and then suddenly finding myself in an A final was a big shock to be honest.

The video provides me with a birds eye view of my lack of driving skills in the better classes. As a newbie I think was throw as much speed at the track in the hope to get round without hittin anything and "that will do" but of course watching the rac, the guy who won all three of the a finals they ran has clearly no more speed than me down the straight but left me standing as you right diagnosed and for all to see.

My concept/was that if I carry enough speed to the corner hit a reasonable apex it will be good enough, how stupid to think! Haha. From your comments and watching back, the forces and energy to stop/go/change direction of these little cars is high, proportionatly and as you so rightly suggest, simply trying too hard, carrying too much speed giving the throttle too much to do and causing overheating. I totally understand this. Throwing money at the problem in this case definitely served me no favour, silly boy!!

The eagerness when you have cars/drivers perceived better than ones self it's so hard to not get sucked into racing them and not the track which creates the over zealous speed which if was applied correctly would sort the problem. Cat in the headlights syndrome! I play a sport at elite level and recognize all these emotional conflicts that competition provides which is one of the big reasons I love this hobby, and why I have to get better!! (For all those sports psychs out there, "would like to" get better)

I am certainly going to pay far more attention to the top drivers now I feel I have the car to compete with them and will be watching their every move!!

Apologies, I have not re-read this message before posting, doing it on the fly but wanted to reply.

As ever folks, many thanks and apologies if I rambled on!!
Over and out.
Stu
Old 12-08-2015

Stu I watched a couple of minutes on it and yes your car gearing may be a bit high.

Also you appear in the first couple of minutes to be correcting the car on the straight to get a better line for the end turn. I'd suggest working on improving the consistency of your exit on the previous turn so you don't have to slow the car down on the straight by steering - slows it down a lot.

On the technical section in the middle of the track you're leaving a bit too much room for error so your lap distance is longer.

Your entry to the left hairpin appears to be 'let go of throttle then turn'. The car has a bit of a delay actually doing what you ask as the tyre takes a moment to grip and change direction.

The front running cars are turning in on full power and then easing off to bring the front in to the apex. There's an instant response because the tyre is already changing direction - you're just adding weight to it to ask it to turn more. They're adding more and more steering as the car slows as well - shortening the length of the turn entry (and therefore lap length) without compromising the corner exit.

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.
Old 12-08-2015

Duly noted racingben

Here is a question, and I know everyone and car is different, but what do you guys run as your expo settings for your steering?
Old 12-08-2015

Interestingly, neither of you have asked whether I am running short or long rear pod? What do you guys run?
Old 12-08-2015

My expo is about 25%

I have a supastox.

No comment on setup really as the car seems to be pretty consistent in the video so I'd say you have more time to come from you than the car at this point.

I love the simplicity of the zen and will consider getting one. Having said that I also like tinkering with the supastox to constantly get more out of it. My car is rarely the same from one run to the other. Sometimes it gets better, occasionally I go totally wrong and it's shocking.

One challenge has been to go from a hall with a billiard table smooth sports hall floor to another hall with a very uneven wooden floor. I went from a car that was stiff as a board (black front springs and red rear) to a soft squishy car (blue front white rear) to try and ride the bumps.

The real challenge has been to make the SSGT as efficient over bumps as the zen / mardave. I'm pretty much there now but initially the way the car scrubbed speed on a bumpy corner was like I had the brakes on compared to the other cars

www.ModelCarParties.co.uk - Radio Controlled Car Racing Events - Kids Parties, Fetes, Exhibitions etc

www.ElliottsDrivingSchool.co.uk - driving lessons, trailer training, young driving experience (14+). Areas covered include - Huntingdon, Cambridge, Peterborough, Bedford and surrounding towns / villages.
Old 12-08-2015

Ben
25% more sensitive or less sensitive? Not knowing your tranny, Futaba and Spectrum move in different directions with reference to increased and decreased sensitivity.