Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 29-06-2013

OK I understand now
How many pieces is it, I thought it was just one but in the drawing you are specifying which sections need to be hardened which implies it is more than one piece.

I'm not sure if I do or don't want the one way but it would be nice to have he option, what are the pros and cons of running it?

On another topic, long story but I somehow now have an ezy-run, how decent are these, I haven't had a chance to even learn what the deal is with LiPo batteries and brushless motors, I'm still stuck in the days of brushed motors and 1200ma SCR cells!
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 29-06-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
OK I understand now
How many pieces is it, I thought it was just one but in the drawing you are specifying which sections need to be hardened which implies it is more than one piece.

I'm not sure if I do or don't want the one way but it would be nice to have he option, what are the pros and cons of running it?

On another topic, long story but I somehow now have an ezy-run, how decent are these, I haven't had a chance to even learn what the deal is with LiPo batteries and brushless motors, I'm still stuck in the days of brushed motors and 1200ma SCR cells!
One piece but the current one is not hardend and decided to send mine off to have the pole sections cut out and hardend steel welded in as i need it quite quickly. I made a mistake with just the threaded end by shortening it too much and didnt want to burden Alcyon with getting it done in time so have a machinist in the uk doing it.

On high grip for my style of driving the one way gives me a second a lap so am slower with a permanent 4wd. It gives me more speed in and out of corners at a tighter line with my tub chassis. But a lot of top guys on lower grip like clay and dirt the one way gets tightend to make the car total 4wd as its better on tracks like that.

Im unsure on the ezrun so cant help you there. Personally go for the HPI / Tekin RS Pro or LRP escs as they are rather good. The HPI has a built in switch so much neater. Motors, i love the losi exorlerin (i think thats how to spell it) or LRP X20 but havent tried anything else. Be warned use a 5.5, 6.5 or 7.5 only if you have built my gearbox as with no tensioners youll snap the rear and front belts.

Lipos unless you have the raised rear top deck mount you have to uses 4400 or less as the top deck mount gets in the way and stops the battery getting in. With the raised section a 5500 lipo saddle will fit but you must use the demon products banana plug for joining the two packs together in the middle as those plugs are lower meaning once the cells are located in the lipo trays and locked in place by the holder the connectors have enough space to avoid touching the top deck, so no shorting.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 29-06-2013

Thanks for that info

I need to pick out some shock towers for my tub car
I have your rear tower which looks like the ZX-S one but not sure which one to get for the front, the one you did that looks like the ZX-S one is the obvious choide but I'm not sure how I could use a ZX-R body with that, though I'm not certain what body will go on my tub car yet, its either Tomcat or ZX-R. Do you have pics of your car with the body on from the front?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 30-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Thanks for that info

I need to pick out some shock towers for my tub car
I have your rear tower which looks like the ZX-S one but not sure which one to get for the front, the one you did that looks like the ZX-S one is the obvious choide but I'm not sure how I could use a ZX-R body with that, though I'm not certain what body will go on my tub car yet, its either Tomcat or ZX-R. Do you have pics of your car with the body on from the front?
I use the semicircular or my zxs design tower with tomcat shell. I will update with a pic later as im unable to due to being at silverstone f1. Im front row on woodcote corner
Answer UK team driver
Old 30-06-2013

I was in the Woodcote stand too! Small world
Old 01-07-2013

Most true. Im burnt big time, what a day.
Answer UK team driver
Old 01-07-2013

Poms and a hot summers day, Don't mix! Aloe Vera Gel and Asprin will help relieve the pain.

On a side note why don't the pargu alloy arm brackets fit/work? And what is the alternative? Sorry if this has been covered before, still only up to page 165.
Old 01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makattkd View Post
Poms and a hot summers day, Don't mix! Aloe Vera Gel and Asprin will help relieve the pain.

On a side note why don't the pargu alloy arm brackets fit/work? And what is the alternative? Sorry if this has been covered before, still only up to page 165.
Yes us Poms may not handle the sun but ive drank many an Oz under the table. Boy what a holiday, in a stunning country where you feel safe, the people are tops but its what you dont see can kill you. Ok i was very hammered whilst flicking the ten or so red backs off me whilst waking up in a garden and lucky whilst very drunk not to have been bitten by the funnelweb i happened to pick up. The ozy saved my life by killing it. Still loved it there.

On to cars and paragus are narrower,its like he has made a mold but taken the original out before it sets so when he made more they came out smaller. Its possible he made an error with his measurements on the original he based it on but they are all narrower so means wishbones rub and width is slightly off and it makes a big difference to handling characteristics.
Answer UK team driver
Old 03-07-2013

i just realised something. Racer mag with replica of Masamis XLS. Firstly the collection of buggies, well my design zxr is dead centre in white. Also page 110 bottom left red towel next to the chaps is my ZXR-S. Then page 109 top right im the one on the left eating my bacon and eggs and look as i felt quite rough.
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
i just realised something. Racer mag with replica of Masamis XLS. Firstly the collection of buggies, well my design zxr is dead centre in white. Also page 110 bottom left red towel next to the chaps is my ZXR-S. Then page 109 top right im the one on the left eating my bacon and eggs and look as i felt quite rough.
got a scan of it ?
Old 04-07-2013

Not yet, but the pic of the zx based on my design is on here.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...=122353&page=2
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-07-2013

Default Imitation - the sincerest form of flattery ?

Sorry I just couldn't resist when I saw this at Tesco's...
Old 04-07-2013

Quality.
Answer UK team driver
Old 05-07-2013

Ok here is a picture of the mag pages so apologies for it not being fantastic. First page the Losi guys who work for Horizon were bottom left and I pitted next to them, very nice chaps, you can see my red Kyosho towel and my car sitting in the corner next to my best mate wearing the grey top Mr Nuclear RC David Belsten. Next page top right you can see me eating and apologioes for not having a hair cut, so looked a mess. Dave Belsten next to me and Dave Church just down from him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (113.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (17.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (12.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (17.3 KB, 39 views)
Answer UK team driver
Old 05-07-2013

messy hair ? is that you with the glasses? correct me If I am wrong but it seems you have an army crop.
Old 05-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
messy hair ? is that you with the glasses? correct me If I am wrong but it seems you have an army crop.
No army crop, I decided not to join the Marines. Glasses yes.
Answer UK team driver
Old 11-07-2013

anyone try to use shorty on vintage lazer?
Old 12-07-2013

For me, No as it upsets the balance. But no reason why you cant do a test and update us all.
Answer UK team driver
Old 14-07-2013

Out of frustration in still not getting my layshaft back from my machinist here in the uk ive just done a rebuild of Oosh123 layshaft. Ok i had issues with it originally so did a rethink on it. Ive thrown the pulley that you lock onto the layshaft and taken the one way pulley and reversed it and put a few spacers in front thus pushing it out to where it should be. Then ive gone and added a zxs oneway in with a flanged bearing which also spaces the pulley to the correct position. Then a few washers and think on how the bearings are held in place by the locking washers on my cf gearbox and its done. Ok ive a little problem and need a worn or used one way plate for the zx or zxr so i can fit it properly but never the less the vts fits with 1mm gap between the back slipper plate and motor plate. Ok you cant use brakes due to the oneways but seeing as i dont use brakes who cares. Now as ive been bored ive started making another car, now just need my tub so that can get fitted to my racer then the chassis from that will go on this and game on
Answer UK team driver
Old 19-07-2013

Well here are some crappy pics of my new build as I got a bit bored. Im actually contimplating doing a Touring car but am a bit puzzled on wishbones. Ive managed to find an old pair of front wishbones and have started drilling the new castor block holes but the rear wishbone are going to be a bit of a problem. Shock towers will be simple to redesign as I just lower them to account for the smaller shocks and then fit my Ferrari 250 GTO shell on and game on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (31.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (38.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (34.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (35.2 KB, 30 views)
Answer UK team driver