Old 14-12-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Jimmy, sweet work on the chrome!!!

oh, my wing is frosted not clear!!
Old 14-12-2007

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
hold yer horses, there's no rush! lol Spent 2 hours last night just cutting a 1mm chrome stripe around the flames on my shell! should look rather nice me thinks
Jimmy the almost finished as you say shell is AWESOME M8, what material did you use for the chrome frame etc. or did you airbrush it?

Would love to attempt something like it on my 501X shells if it is not airbrushed, (the old hands are not steady enough) Ha Ha
Old 14-12-2007
Mad Member

That really is killer paint Jimmy. What is it you use spaz or faskolor?
I cant wait to see it on the chassis!
I still have to worm round the missus to open mine up and send the shell to Jon for a Satoshi 501x replica job...fingers crossed lol!

lee
Old 14-12-2007

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
here we go.... only got it Wednesday..... I Tuesday evening, I must be slacking....

Very nice paint job DCM, I take it the motor is one of the new Redlines, which one and how does it measure up to the forecasts performancewise?
I am on the order list for a 5.5T combo to go in my 501X when they arrive.
Old 14-12-2007
Administrator

The chrome is spaz paint, air brushed. really nice to use and much better than the alclad stuff I was using before.
Old 14-12-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
That is one nice paintjob there Jimmy. Apologies if this question has been asked before but I get the feeling that a front one-way is essential for the Durga, but why exactly (I know how they work I just don't understand the benefits - I am a bit thick I think!). Cheers.
Not essential at all mate, it depends how you drive. I struggled to get used to it last weekend but in the end I was doing good consistent laps - I think with a one way I'd have gone quicker but that doesn't mean you would have. I thought the original 501X came 'alive' with a oneway diff and im sure the Durga is the same. but the same could be true of plenty of 4WD cars.
Old 14-12-2007
Mad Member

Well i do recall back when i ran a widescale YZ10, without a oneway layshaft, i was a spaz, the turn radius was awful.
I had the same from the FTD Pred too!
Once i fitted the oneway, the car transformed, a lot of rear steering and i could hook the turns very well.
Ive never got the deal on oneways in scale touring though, ive ran them in the HPI pro2, TC3, streetweapon and XXXS, and could never get lap consistency and i was fairly handy around bedworth.
I think with any buggies, one ways do improve handling, in an aggressive way maybe.
Id say swap around and see what kind of feeling you get, without, it should be way more planted, but possibly very tame in the corners and under braking.
With it, you may find you can almost steer into corners with throttle/brake control? Its hard to explain....and now im rambling to guys that know way more than me LOL.

lee
Old 14-12-2007
Mad Member

The 501X steers very well without a oneway, it's quite unusual compared to other cars. Durga I imagine will be quite similar.

I doubt the Durga will NEED a one-way but it is always something worth having in the pitbox. Suck it and see.

Bear in mind though that the Durga one-way is a full diff, not a centre shaft, so you might get some strange handling effects on very bumpy tracks with it, plus more drivetrain wear at the front too.
Old 14-12-2007

waiting on the motors as we speak. The first batch of rotors were rejected due to the manufaturer not doing as they were told, one I get one, it is going straight in.

Front one-way alloys you to drive the car more agressively and attack the track.
Old 14-12-2007

question for one of the hop-ups, belt tensioner.

how does it work in this car and what is the whole purpose of it?
Old 14-12-2007
Administrator

For me, the 501X was 'cool' without the one way - and 'AWESOME' with. Totally transformed it. You don't NEED a one way at all, but it does liven the car up and make it more agressive, which needs a smoother / different driving style.

The only time I ever put a diff in the front of the 501X was in Finland, and I went from getting laps not far off the top drivers, to actually finishing races without crashing instead. Make of that what you will
Old 14-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
question for one of the hop-ups, belt tensioner.

how does it work in this car and what is the whole purpose of it?
Looking at it, it runs gently against the belt to keep it on the pulley.
Old 14-12-2007
Administrator

It doesn't touch, it's supposed to sit just slightly away from the belt to stop it skipping. They aren't belt tensioners so it's a bit of a dodgy name really
Old 14-12-2007

so then is it "essential" to install such thing in the car? does that mean that there is a slight chance that the belt will skip away?
Old 14-12-2007
Administrator

Fabien on here is a top driver and doesn't use any (because he doesn't have them) on his 501X and has no problems. So no I wouldn't say they were essential.
Old 14-12-2007

that's nice...i like what i'm hearing
Old 14-12-2007

Jimmy....Wow.......
I'm just about to invest in a nice big brown paper bag to hide my cars embarrasment!
Old 14-12-2007

I like jimmys paint job and think that it looks great, but i went with the box art paint job and really like the results very much. The clashing of bright red and black with full decals make this buggy a mean looking machine.Does anyone have an idea of what the average life span of the belts are? Also what are some of you guys paying for the slipper clutch? Im trying to look for the best deal i can find. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im also looking for some shocks if anyone has a suggestion on them as well. Thanks.
Old 14-12-2007
Mad Member

Yep i,m still looking for a slipper thats actually in stock.
Any links would be appreciated
Old 14-12-2007

Rc champ have supposedly got some

54018 Slipper cluch set 2352Yen

Getting mine from
www.TamiyaShop.ch € 29,55

champ didn't have stock when I ordered

W