Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Twigger View Post
how tight the gearbox screws are can affect how free the drivetrain is.

Once assembled, mine would happily roll freely on the floor and so I would expect the initial tightness by hand will reduce once run. If anyone is in doubt then best not to run it in my opinion.
HTH
I know it depends on how hard you tighten the gearbox and that it will effect the gearbox.
But with the gear diff it makes no difference to me. If i put the housing together without the screws, it's really hard to turn the layshaft by hand.
Old 05-02-2012

I have used no shims on my gear diff, as putting in the same as the ball diff made it feel very tight, now with no shims it spins freely and with a small amount of side to side play.
Old 05-02-2012

Send a message via MSN to jasonrcb

I have 1 shim either side of the diff,also had it on the bench and ran a pack of lipo's through it at low speed,diff feels fine now and spins quite freely,i would have no issues now taking out on track
Old 05-02-2012

one more with gear diff probs. not to good fit, it is to large.
Old 05-02-2012

Mines a bit tight, I haven't used any shims the mesh was level without any
Old 05-02-2012

Default diff

its slowed mine right down. i have put a 7.5 motor in now in stead of the 10.5 i waz runing
Old 05-02-2012
Mad Member

I showed Adam the problem with the diff today at Worksop today after abit of playing about it was'nt better so he's taken it to take a closer look Hopefully he'll post something in the next few days after taking alook

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 05-02-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I showed Adam the problem with the diff today at Worksop today after abit of playing about it was better so he's taken it to take a closer look Hopefully he'll post something in the next few days after taking alook
Hopefully a quick fix for this let down in quality. I ran mine twice today and its still to tight to be happy about it.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 05-02-2012
Mad Member

Personally i think it is the moulding of the actual gear but Adam has given me his witch is fine. Could it be down to builder error tightening the screws to much witch is putting the gear out of shape ? Carn't see it to be honest but thats the only other thing i can think of other than the moulding being wrong

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 05-02-2012
Mad Member

Mine has one tighter spot during a rotation,
Have they used a different type/spec of plastic since the prototypes with different shrinkage characteristics?

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 05-02-2012

I ran mines today for the second time, much improved over my first run, but it was on a different track. Went up from 3k to 5k oil and made a couple of other changes, also used Nanobytes on the rear (new) and staggers on the front (used) which seemed to help the car. I normally run yellow minipins.

My diff fitted inside the gear case, using both shims on each side as per the ball diff, it appeared to be a little on the tight side at first, but after a few packs, I can't say it is tight anymore.

The car does handle a fair bit different from the ball diff, it feels much heavier but does drive better and I am now able to set my slipper correctly which is something that I was struggling with, as the ball diff was slipping badly, even when tight.
Old 05-02-2012

Well got my 210 to the rolling chassis point feels ok just a bit stiff well almost fully turned but tried what someone said try rolling on the floor without the pinion an it rolls freely fly a good few meters
Old 06-02-2012

Send a message via AIM to Autocratic

For those running a gear diff, how are your lap times? Better or worse than the ball diff? Why did you switch to the gear diff in the first place?
Old 06-02-2012

I tried one round with the gear diff yesterday and it felt really good. I'm down to one shim either side.
Old 06-02-2012

The thing is if it is an over tightening issue wouldn't it have been wise to have instructions with hints an tips on parts that need to be to a Tourqe setting associated are good with there instructions there are hint an tips right through them telling u how's best to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Personally i think it is the moulding of the actual gear but Adam has given me his witch is fine. Could it be down to builder error tightening the screws to much witch is putting the gear out of shape ? Carn't see it to be honest but thats the only other thing i can think of other than the moulding being wrong
Old 06-02-2012

Seems odd how everyone is having different experiences, sure TD will solve it
Old 07-02-2012

Report from first test with the gear diff... I had a bad feeling driving the car as the gearbox was turning so heavily. But after reading others who had tried I gave it a go on our sunday training.

After 4 races and lots and lots of training days with the ball diff i've had no problem at all.

But with just one training evening with the gear diff it ended up with a mashed bearing, spreading metal parts all over inside the gear housing causing damage to the idler gear and diff gear

This could of course be a coinsidence, but i doubt it. I'm sure it's a result of the heavy resistance the gear diff makes.
I replaced the bearing and assembled the gearbox housing, it still feels very harsh to turn it around.
I've always been impressed by Durango quality, but this time they have made a big mistake

As a footnote I can say that I had not the top speed on the straight as I use to have, and the ESC got very hot, that didn't happen before. The tranny felt a bit looser at the end of the training, but still plenty of friction.

It ended up with a damaged bearing, mail to Durango is being send
Old 07-02-2012

I emailed Durango tec department about the gear diff an they have said the diff requires NO shimming at all
Old 07-02-2012

That would be correct. No shims supplied with gear diff kit anyway. No issues with my own gear diff, wee bit notchy when first built but soon bedded in after a few runs and feels very smooth now. No shims and 1000cst.
Old 07-02-2012

when you open the gearbox stick the gear diff in one half of the gearbox (with the rest of the gears installed) without any shims and you'll notice it is level with the rest of the gears, adding the shims with only cause this tight friction people are getting.