Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-05-2011
Mad Member

and some more

everything in this post and the last post cost me £57 + postage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060606.JPG (163.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1060607.JPG (158.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1060608.JPG (166.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1060609.JPG (163.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P1060610.JPG (170.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1060611.JPG (163.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-05-2011

Jeeeeezzzooooo, I have just lost the last two days of my life to this one thread.

I kind of unexpectedly stumbled upon this thread and was frankly a little amazed at the amount of interest and demand there still is for the Lazer, particularly as I have owned one and let it sit in my garage for the last 10 years without turning a wheel.

I still have all of the kit I owned and abandoned when I gave the hobby up when I got to the late teens stage of losing interest in model cars, and gaining interest in alcohol, real cars and females.

I have posted some pictures below of my once beloved ZX/ZX-R. I used it both On-Road (Tarmac, Wide-Bodied 10th Scale at Stonehaven, Scotland) and Off-Road (Club & National level.) Not with a great deal of success it has to be said.

I have taken these photos as it has come straight out the garage, dust included. Didnt want to tamper with it until I know what I am going to do with it.

After reading this thread I have a massive urge to fully restore it and upgrade it and use it as a runner but I am not sure if I have the time or the money to bring it up to a more modern competitive standard. Bearing in mind I have not touched a car in ten years and when I was racing I had the old man to do all the bits I never really understood fully .

I will mull it over the next couple of days.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0398.JPG (69.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.JPG (68.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0400.JPG (65.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0404.JPG (88.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0403.JPG (81.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0405.JPG (70.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0406.JPG (63.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0407.JPG (87.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0410.JPG (85.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.JPG (63.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-05-2011

Just a few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.JPG (68.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0404.JPG (88.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.JPG (74.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0408.JPG (69.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.JPG (64.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-05-2011
Mad Member

nice man nice, loads of spares, and the chassis, wow, seen one of those chassis reach £87 last week, you know you wanna do it up and race it, either that or sell the lot to me for 100 quid, lol
Old 12-05-2011

He's got a tub chassis! Kill him!!!!!

Nice car and welcome to the Lazer zone, don't stay too long or you will end up being iso's bitch :Px
Old 12-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hey guys even iso is my bitch.

Nice car and welcome to the club. If you do decide to sell that chassis let me know first as i designed the very first. This car is still a better performer than the current kyosho car so if fitted with a brushless 6.5 or 5.5 and geared correctly you will easily stay with the newer models. Belts, layshaft pulley gears and front gearboxes as spares are all you should need as spares. Any help just ask. Oh yeah the radiocontrolzone has an even larger thread and has much more info to help you.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 12-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulson View Post
Just a few more.
I reckon you're losing track of time saying it was 10 years ago :-) Scary to think but if you count back I bet you're talking more like 15/16 years ago! The ZX-R was around from about 92-94 really so i bet you'll find it was more then 10 haha.
Old 12-05-2011

I think you are right, when I think back I had a worlds YZ-10 for a few years and I think my dad used the Lazer when I switched! One of the books in the photos above has about 30 set-up sheets and all are dated as '95, I was only 11, I can barely make out my hand-writing lol
Old 12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Hey guys even iso is my bitch.

Nice car and welcome to the club. If you do decide to sell that chassis let me know first as i designed the very first. This car is still a better performer than the current kyosho car so if fitted with a brushless 6.5 or 5.5 and geared correctly you will easily stay with the newer models. Belts, layshaft pulley gears and front gearboxes as spares are all you should need as spares. Any help just ask. Oh yeah the radiocontrolzone has an even larger thread and has much more info to help you.
Thanks Welshy, I have read alot of what you have written throughout this forum and also at radiocontrolzone and appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping others. That goes for all other enthusiasts who have devoted time to the forums.

Grovelling over.......... now I might need some help.

Decided to keep it and make it beautiful.

To be fair when I was racing I was a bit of a novice in terms of building and maintaining the cars so I will be kind of learning as I go along and I may get lost a little in the terminology.

In terms of the main parts you recommend I would need as spares whats "layshaft pulley gears"? Are these the gears housed within the centre diff that lay on the same shaft as the slipper? Part No's if possible?

I have two spare front belts, however I think both have been used but a a new rear one.

I dont have any front gearboxe cases, the one on the car does look brand new mind you.

Parts I would like to get for starters:-

Carbon (Fibre-lyte), it would be a shame to not compliment the tub chassis with some shiny new carbon: -

Top-deck (ZX Instone Version - Deck One)
Front Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One)
Rear Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One)
Steering Linkage (ZX - Brace One)
Replace all the turnbuckles, ball cups etc.

Is there anything I need to consider, having the tub chassis, that would be different to what I have read so far on the thread.

The car has carbon battery stays for saddle Nimhs, I can only guess I am going to have to modify them or replace them in order to fit Lipo's. Hope this wont mean I have to drill the chassis.

I don't know if from the pictures I have taken if you can tell if I have the Hyper Clutch or not?

What shocks do I have fitted? I cannot see anything from photos of other Lazers that resemble them. I have the original gold shocks that were set-up for on-road that I will re-build but would you suggest updating these?

Any suggestions on how I go about replacing all of the screw/bolts as you have done for hex? I can't imagine anyone supplying these as a kit, did you just work your way through the car picking up bits as you went along?

To be honest I have spent so long trudging through the forums that I have lost track of most things and trying to find bits you remember you need is difficult.

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-05-2011

Good news, well here goes my help. Manual is available on
http://www.retromodelisme.com/liste_manuel.html with part numbers so LA11 is the layshaft gear (where the slipper and one way are attached to above the motor)

Rear belts are sold by another company and Iso knows the name, they are on Ebay and still sell them listed as the same number as in the manual. LA12 or LA13 i think

Well if thats the case for the gear box at least you have the alloy pivot blocks. I would recommend buying another front tower but hold fire on that until I have had a chance to redesign the handle half circle one to give it more strength.

Carbon (Fibre-lyte), it would be a shame to not compliment the tub chassis with some shiny new carbon: -

Top-deck (ZX Instone Version - Deck One) - may not be appropriate for your chassis, so would advise using the standard ZXR one.
Front Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One) S[B]hock tower?
Rear Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One) [B]Shock Tower?
Steering Linkage (ZX - Brace One) YES the best one in my opinion.
Replace all the turnbuckles, ball cups etc. Associated ball joints and lunsford titanium are the better option.

Is there anything I need to consider, having the tub chassis, that would be different to what I have read so far on the thread.

Tub chassis is heavier and will give you more roll so may not suit your style of driving. I made it work as I designed it for my style of driving and to protect my esc from Jason Green but may not suit you. If you don't like then try the flat chassis as that may suit you more.

The car has carbon battery stays for saddle Nimhs, I can only guess I am going to have to modify them or replace them in order to fit Lipo's. Hope this wont mean I have to drill the chassis. Nope not much you will need to do just make sure they are holding the Lipos firmly to the chassis. I designed a Lipo tray for the ZXR so hope Stephen at fibrelyte has done the design already fro the standard chassis.

I don't know if from the pictures I have taken if you can tell if I have the Hyper Clutch or not? Mk1 ZXR Lazer slipper clutch. I have just design a new spur gear that would fit that and RW racing are now starting to make them, and work on all ZX and ZXR slipper systems.

What shocks do I have fitted? I cannot see anything from photos of other Lazers that resemble them. I have the original gold shocks that were set-up for on-road that I will re-build but would you suggest updating these? Shocks re equalizer kyosho shocks and are superb, so I would rebuild them and change the seals but other than that bugger else you will need to do to them. They use the same seals as the ZX-5.

Any suggestions on how I go about replacing all of the screw/bolts as you have done for hex? Apex models sell the screws so work out the length and call them. Stainless steel silver hex headed screws.
I can't imagine anyone supplying these as a kit, did you just work your way through the car picking up bits as you went along? I did one task at a time and the screws were the easy job. One screw head means I can change my rear belt in five minutes flat, and have done this in front of several witnesses so makes maintenance easier with a bigger head.

To be honest I have spent so long trudging through the forums that I have lost track of most things and trying to find bits you remember you need is difficult.

Sorry for all the questions.[/QUOTE] Bring em on!!
Answer UK team driver
Old 12-05-2011
Mad Member

Welshy, is the la11 available to buy anywhere or a repo made anywhere?

As far as I remember all them years back the 2 gears in the la11 were ok, it was just the 2 other bits that used to wear,

Parts that look like flanged washers made out of plastic or whatever material it is, I think I went through at least 2 sets in about a year
Old 13-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
Welshy, is the la11 available to buy anywhere or a repo made anywhere?

As far as I remember all them years back the 2 gears in the la11 were ok, it was just the 2 other bits that used to wear,

Parts that look like flanged washers made out of plastic or whatever material it is, I think I went through at least 2 sets in about a year
They are very rare but do appear on ebay occassionally and my friend who makes them for me is so busy that even he cant make any at the mo. Im talking to him today hopefully and will ask if there is any way he can make a batch and sell on. I will ask as well re the front gearbox as well.

The actual gear wears as when the belt deteriorates so does that. The washer part is fine so long as its fitted on correctly as per the manual. Also possible that there was slop in the layshaft bearing housing in your car hence why that happened.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-05-2011

Mulson, what shock towers are you on about as i cant answer the question until i know the exact ones.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Mulson, what shock towers are you on about as i cant answer the question until i know the exact ones.
On the Fibre-Lyte website, under ZX-James Instone Version, they are described as 'Front Mount 1' and 'Read Mount 1', although I did mean shock towers in my last post.

To be honest, I don't mind which ones I get, tell me the best and I will get them.
Old 13-05-2011

Quote:
On the Fibre-Lyte website, under ZX-James Instone Version, they are described as 'Front Mount 1' and 'Read Mount 1', although I did mean shock towers in my last post.

To be honest, I don't mind which ones I get, tell me the best and I will get them.
Those are the ones I used and are great. But hold fire on the front as the front bottom beam needs changing as its not wide enough so will get this done in the next week.
Answer UK team driver
Old 13-05-2011

Quote:
Thanks Welshy, I have read alot of what you have written throughout this forum and also at radiocontrolzone and appreciate the time and effort you have put into helping others. That goes for all other enthusiasts who have devoted time to the forums.

Grovelling over.......... now I might need some help.

Decided to keep it and make it beautiful.

To be fair when I was racing I was a bit of a novice in terms of building and maintaining the cars so I will be kind of learning as I go along and I may get lost a little in the terminology.

In terms of the main parts you recommend I would need as spares whats "layshaft pulley gears"? Are these the gears housed within the centre diff that lay on the same shaft as the slipper? Part No's if possible?

I have two spare front belts, however I think both have been used but a a new rear one.

I dont have any front gearboxe cases, the one on the car does look brand new mind you.

Top-deck (ZX Instone Version - Deck One)
Front Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One)
Rear Mount (ZX Instone Version - Mount One)
Steering Linkage (ZX - Brace One)
Replace all the turnbuckles, ball cups etc.

The car has carbon battery stays for saddle Nimhs, I can only guess I am going to have to modify them or replace them in order to fit Lipo's. Hope this wont mean I have to drill the chassis.

I don't know if from the pictures I have taken if you can tell if I have the Hyper Clutch or not?

What shocks do I have fitted? I cannot see anything from photos of other Lazers that resemble them. I have the original gold shocks that were set-up for on-road that I will re-build but would you suggest updating these?

Any suggestions on how I go about replacing all of the screw/bolts as you have done for hex? I can't imagine anyone supplying these as a kit, did you just work your way through the car picking up bits as you went along?

Sorry for all the questions.
Nice car that you have Mulson

As mentioned by James, links ebay front and rear belt below

front
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Vintage-Kyos...item3f067e3c98

rear
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Vintage-Kyos...item3f067e3f91

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 13-05-2011

[QUOTE=Welshy40;501275]

Any suggestions on how I go about replacing all of the screw/bolts as you have done for hex? Apex models sell the screws so work out the length and call them. Stainless steel silver hex headed screws.
I can't imagine anyone supplying these as a kit, did you just work your way through the car picking up bits as you went along? I did one task at a time and the screws were the easy job. One screw head means I can change my rear belt in five minutes flat, and have done this in front of several witnesses so makes maintenance easier with a bigger head.

YES they do, there is a screw kit for the ZX-R!

check this out
http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...roducts_id/604

I used this screw kit on my lazer ZX-RR AND I can tell you this kit is not perfect but it's doing the job!
Pictures of my ZX-RR you can find in my previous posts.

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
Old 13-05-2011

Default Lazer ZX Body Set

Hi Guys,

I am looking for the Lazer ZX body, undertray, and wing (LA-36). I have asked Kamtec already and they are only doing Lazer ZX-S bodies now.

Does anybody know where I can find a set? Or an alternative body? Will the ZX-5 Body fit the Lazer ZX?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 13-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosh123 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for the Lazer ZX body, undertray, and wing (LA-36). I have asked Kamtec already and they are only doing Lazer ZX-S bodies now.

Does anybody know where I can find a set? Or an alternative body? Will the ZX-5 Body fit the Lazer ZX?

Thanks in Advance.
Hi Alan,

There is a guy in your country that makes some ZX repro body's, undertray and wing.
The guys name on ebay is teambluegroove and I recently bought an ZX-R shell and I must say the quality was improved than in the beginning!

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
Old 13-05-2011

I notice him on ebay before, but I only see a ZX-R body that he is selling. I don't see any ZX bodies