Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 07-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_AK View Post
Regarding the price increase, yes we did raise our prices last week by 15% due to the poor state of the economy in the U.S. more specifically the value of the U.S. Dollar, we really did not have a choice.
Wow are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. It looks like i wont be ordering any parts from Tamiya U.S.A. I am very sorry to say, but you guy's have lost a customer. I already thought your prices were a lil steep but now with the %15 increase there is no way I can afford to buy from you guys. Will the asian market be staying the same? If not then it looks like i will have no choice but to switch brands. This is all very disapointing news to me.

Old 07-07-2008

Even with a 15% increase, you guys in the US musn't complain about RC prices. Why do you think we in europe were ordering in the US even when the $ wasn't so weak compaired to the euro or the £.
And you have support from Tamiya USA. Tamiya support in the europe (not only in the UK) is laughable at best.
Old 07-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefke View Post
Even with a 15% increase, you guys in the US musn't complain about RC prices. Why do you think we in europe were ordering in the US even when the $ wasn't so weak compaired to the euro or the £.
And you have support from Tamiya USA. Tamiya support in the europe (not only in the UK) is laughable at best.
Yeah i understand that you guys have it worse, but when you get used to paying certain prices and then one day they suddenly shoot up %15 it is quite a shocker. It's too bad the U.S. economy is headed for the shit hole. Tamiya USA are only hurting themselves by the price hike because it now forces people like myself to shop the asian market. Luckily i stocked up on 3 diff pulleys before this all happened.
Old 07-07-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I just wish Tamiya USA would sell overseas.... but you got to like Tamiya USA, they are actively involved in the racing scene and support all the cars, Hobby Co (UK Importer) brought in 10 501X's, and no spares....
Old 07-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I just wish Tamiya USA would sell overseas.... but you got to like Tamiya USA, they are actively involved in the racing scene and support all the cars, Hobby Co (UK Importer) brought in 10 501X's, and no spares....
HaHa what a joke. They export 10 racing buggies to you guys over in the UK, but provide no parts support. What do they expect, nothing on the vehicles to go wrong. That is bad business if you ask me. I love Tamiya but they definitley have some issues that need to be worked out. It kills me that if you have one of their r/c vehicles that is a few years old and need parts for it, you have to go on a huge search for it and then you end up paying double the price of the original cost. It's almost as if they consider their vehicles that are a few years old vintage.
Old 07-07-2008

they have made a market for 'sort after' models though, and thats a good business practice for them.

As for the UK, if it is a TRF car, don't bother trying to get parts in the UK.
Old 07-07-2008

I was wondering what some of you guys would think to be a good tool for cutting out the air vents in the Durga shell? I will eventually place pieces of screen over the vents once i have them cut out. I was thinking about using my lexan scissors, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008

I use a body reamer and put holes in it rather than cutting it fully out, otherwise, a dremmel?
Old 08-07-2008

Thats a good idea my friend. i will give that a try and let you know how it works out. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008
Mad Member

Yup, body ream a hole to start off, then "slot" it with a small Dremel grind tool, i will run my DB01 one day, at the minute is just sitting slowly being hopped up LOL, still the Jon Miller shell makes it look pretty on the shelf for now!

lee
Old 08-07-2008

For those interested, we manage to fit the Trakpower 4800 saddle packs in the Durga !
It was not an easy fit given the height of the packs…
We had to build a kind of "booster seat" for the carbon battery holder using the leftover of the carbon reinforced hop up parts with the aluminium screw on the top and another screw at the bottom.
In addition, we welded a new set of cables with 90deg cable/connectors to reduce the height. Without it the body could not fit.

A lot of work just for a new battery, but the result is amazing! The next mod is a pair of wings for the Durga
Old 08-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Gee View Post
Yeah i understand that you guys have it worse, but when you get used to paying certain prices and then one day they suddenly shoot up %15 it is quite a shocker. It's too bad the U.S. economy is headed for the shit hole. Tamiya USA are only hurting themselves by the price hike because it now forces people like myself to shop the asian market. Luckily i stocked up on 3 diff pulleys before this all happened.
While I understand your frustration with the price inscrease, I can tell you the stance of Tamiya USA is that our website always has the highest prices in the USA and we will tell you that via email or over the phone. We always suggest people look at all other options, such as online or local hobby stores, before buying from us. We will always charge full MSRP for our kits and parts because we are not setup to be a full fledged store, but rather a support system if you cannot find the parts in other places. We do not want to cannibalize sales of our stores.

The price increase is also something that was not USA's decision. We are a branch of Japan, and they dictate what our prices will be. Unfortunately, the system works in the way where a lot is out of our control in areas such as pricing.

Sorry for getting off topic, but let's get back to the thread at hand. if anyone has any further questions, please feel free to PM me rather than posting here.

SORRY ABOUT THE HI-JACKING JIMMY!!!!!
Old 08-07-2008

thats a cool explanation, and I for one can fully understand why you NEED to be seen to sell at MSRP and not discount it, as then that makes it harder for the stores to sell!

Can you sell to the UK though.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeease??
Old 09-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Yup, body ream a hole to start off, then "slot" it with a small Dremel grind tool, i will run my DB01 one day, at the minute is just sitting slowly being hopped up LOL, still the Jon Miller shell makes it look pretty on the shelf for now!

lee
What gear are you running in your DB-01 Ralphee? And can we get some pics please?
Old 09-07-2008

guys, can you recommend an esc that's suitable for racing?

is nosram good?
Old 09-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
guys, can you recommend an esc that's suitable for racing?

is nosram good?
Nosram is fine, as is LRP, Novak, Speed Passion, Losi etc.

Interesting ones at the moment are the Losi Excelorin sensored and the Speed Passion GT1.1 LPF. Several people here have used the Losi system and liked it. I used the Speed Passion at the last race I went to and it's great, didn't miss a beat, has lots of adjustments without being difficult and just does it's thing very nicely at a very competitive price.
Old 09-07-2008

thanks and what about Keyence ExStraight? are they any good?
Old 09-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Gee View Post
What gear are you running in your DB-01 Ralphee? And can we get some pics please?

LOL im way behind the times AJ, Hara twister on a 19t Checkpoint lol, i will go brushless once i find the time to really get back to racing TBH bud, but im trying to source a decent 1/18 right now too, so that will eat my cash lol.
Bagged one of those nice Bluebird MG servos Jimmy used in the TRF501 review too, other than that, its built with TI screws, one way fitted, along with a slipper, 3 racing towers and TRF shock set and UJ's all round.

Ill take a snap or two soon, just to show of Jon's work on the Satoshi replica shell, its a killer!

lee
Old 09-07-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
thanks and what about Keyence ExStraight? are they any good?
Get yourself a brushless system. Less maintenance to do and it will last you longer.
Old 09-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow.2 View Post
Nosram is fine, as is LRP, Novak, Speed Passion, Losi etc.

Interesting ones at the moment are the Losi Excelorin sensored and the Speed Passion GT1.1 LPF. Several people here have used the Losi system and liked it. I used the Speed Passion at the last race I went to and it's great, didn't miss a beat, has lots of adjustments without being difficult and just does it's thing very nicely at a very competitive price.
did you run the sp gt speedo or the exige??
does anyone knows how good does the exige performs??