Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Scotland

Old 21-09-2010

I think if we're still discussing this only a week or two before the first event, its a bit too rushed for my liking.

I don't mind the idea of running OR cars at the Carpet Champs - it'll let the other formats see OR cars running, but I was kinda hoping it would be a format and rule set similar to regular OR indoors.

I am hoping the circuit would be designed with both OR & circuit in mind - the carpet track being standard, and the OR cars running on remaining un-carpeted parts of the hall, crossing or jumping sections of the carpeted circuit track to avoid altering the nap or additive level of the circuit track.

To protect the regular circuit carpet, sections of old carpet, ply or board could be laid over corners/straights to help the OR cars cross over, and then lifted again for circuit car races.

I said the dirt hawgs are carpet-kind, but they do grip and they'll clean it up very well (removing laid-down additive or fluffing the pile up). Mini-spikes will clean or maybe even tear the circuit carpet.

Running OR cars on the same track as the circuit cars, WILL give a different carpet experience for the circuit cars. Plus it'll be nothing like running OR indoors. I think it may end up as a poor compromise for both styles.

I would love to see a cross-over event; everyone running both styles but I don't want to see what is one of the best indoor carpet racing series, being compromised. It should be considered carefully and well planned, otherwise I think both styles may suffer.
Old 21-09-2010

Hi guys i just wanted to let you know that i ran a charity event which catered for both on road and off road and it was one of the best events that had ever been ran at FRCC. It was well attended and very well received by everyone who ran at it. There were no issues when going between tracks and eveyone had a great time, no negativity at all. It worked flawlessly and the Off road guys all ran off road tyres on their buggies.
Hope this really takes off as it's something i'm looking forward to
Old 21-09-2010

Well done Scott. Glad to hear there was no problems with additive and nap issue on the carpet for the circuit cars.

Tho I am surprised there wasn't any damage to the carpet. I've seen some of the OR carpet at Falkirk with the odd nick or cut and thought that there's a chance of the same anytime the bigger heavier cars are jumping/landing on it.

I presume that's what Derek is most concerned about, and is probably trying to avoid.

If you've ran the event tho without incident, that's good news, but given the amount of gaffer tape on the OR carpet @ Falkirk, there's always a chance of damage that has to be considered.

I think my suggestions may still be safest way to consider running both styles, and at least protecting the carpet from potential damage.
Old 21-09-2010

All,

We tried running an offroad heat at our indoor touring car meetings up her at GRCC (Aberdeenshire) last year. We used foams on the buggies so had no issues with spiked tyres. But what we did find is that it was very easy to put holes in the carpet when we rolled the cars, especially off our small jumps. This happened twice in the same race and immediately put the TC drivers against us. We tried covering the shock towers in balls of tape which did help ease their fears, but even these came off sometimes. We did think about putting down another layer of carpet in the jump landing areas, but it was pointed out that the cars can (and do) roll over anywhere on the track. It would also be a hassle to lay out everything before the offroad heat and then remove it again after, as time between heats was minimal. So alas, our test failed.

Anyway, I'm not saying you guys wont get the idea to work, I'm just sharing our experience. Its always great fun to have both formats at the same meeting as we have done a couple of times at Stonehaven (on two different tracks granted)
Old 22-09-2010

Im with Scotty on this one, the FRCC event was a really good one, and i think the only thing I would do differently is to put additional carpet down on the jump landing areas. We did'nt have any issues with rolling cars tearing the carpet, and the two classes worked fine together. Im looking forward to this series.
Old 29-09-2010

Just a quick update re 2wd front tyres, we will allow ribs now as well. Neither the standard rib or the stagger rib should cause a problem for other classes but we will of course review it after the first round.

4wd off road will definately be foams only.