Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 29-05-2012

Default Compressor help--- Please

Hi All,

I have been using an airbrush for a while using cans of compressed gas and I can't deal with it anymore so I want to buy a compressor. I am only going to be spraying shells when I need one so I am trying to do this as cheap as possible. I have found several cheap compressors but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions. Here is a link to the one I am considering buying

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-K...item53e58994ed

But I am wondering if I NEED one that has a tank like-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PERFO...item256f8664b5

I will many be spraying clear lexan bodies but I have done a couple of restorations on older Tamiya cars so might use it for that too.

Any thought/opinions/experiences would be very much appreciated.

Max
Old 29-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Fella.

I have a very tidy Tamiya Spraywork set i'll be selling after today.

It's a mini compressor that runs from a 7.2 volt battery and a mini spraygun.

I've 2 of these and used my main one for over 20 years - i've even connected a £10 ebay airbrush to it

it's this one : http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...basic_comp.htm

£50 posted if you are interested ?

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 29-05-2012

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I could cope with having to be organised enought to have battery packs charged when I fancied spraying something.

Again thanks for the thought though.
Old 29-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

No worries Pal.

If anyone else reading this is interested PM me.

Battery packs are no problem as I just run it off the Lipo packs I use in the car - runs for ages on a Lipo and I always have a few charged.

It also has a plug / jack so you could plug in an AC adapter if you have one that spits out 7.2V.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 29-05-2012

I have up until recently run a compressor without a tank with no problems at all. I've now upgraded to a much bigger compressor with a tank, but thats to run my vac-former

If your really fussy about fine detail, then go with one with a tank. If you're not that bothered and want it cheap as poss then the tank in the 1st link is ideal. In fact I have one just like that for sale but much cheaper ....

PM me if you do decide to go that route ....
Old 29-05-2012

mine is the same as in ur 2nd link and ive had no problems with it
Old 29-05-2012

I use something that is very similar to the second one - albeit I paid a lot more for it

It is super quiet but on mine, the motor runs constantly (I've never managed to get to the 60PSI cut over on the tank) and the most I can get into the tank is about 45-48PSI.

The small tank size means that you do loose pressure very quickly and so your painting can be interrupted whilst the tank recharges and you get enough pressure back - especially if you are spraying with water based paints such as Faskolor which need a higher PSI than solvent based paints.

On the downside, despite the claims, the workable PSI at the tip of my brush seems to be just over 40-45PSI (and it reduces very quickly) and so, in colder temps, the Faskolor can be difficult to use. It's OK in the summer time but when its cold outside, there's just not enough oomph in the compressor to keep the paint flowing.

I've used a larger workshop compressor before and the results were superb but I nearly jumped out of my skin when the motor cut in to recharge the 25Ltr tank - it was certainly not something I could use late at night.

If I could spend my money again, I'd be tempted at the bigger brother to the one you listed (click here) as this would simply appear to be twice the horsepower so it might retain the working pressure a bit longer.

TBH though for casual use, the first one is workable - I just have to be careful with mine in the wintertime - but the 59dbA noise level makes it worth the hassle but I would love a silent compressor if funds would allow...
HTH

Last edited by Gnarly Old Dog; 29-05-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 30-05-2012

Thanks to all who have replied, special thanks to mr speedy as we have come to a deal for a simple compressor, just need to sort air lines and a brush no as I'm not sure the one I have would cope with a compressor. Keep your fingers crossed for me I don't ruin my new shell!!
Old 30-05-2012
Mad Member

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner mate but glad you got yer comp q's sorted.

As for brushes, I will have some nice ones in stock tomorrow

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products