Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 28-12-2011

Default Kyosho ZX5 FS2 or ZX5 FS2 SP?

Hi,

After being out of racing for 23 years I have decided to get back into it but there are so many choices. I have just bought a Cougar but would like a 4wd too and have decided I want the Kyosho. There is a great deal on the FS2 at the moment and the SP would cost me another £140 on top. I just wondered what peoples opinions are as to whether I should just spend the extra or not bother. I don't mind spending the extra if it is genuinely worth it as I would be unhappy if I saved the money but missed out but I don't know enough about the car. Any comments would be appreciated. I will be going out and purchasing one tomorrow so need to make a quick decision.

Thanks

Tommy
Old 28-12-2011

The difference is Big bore dampers and some minor changes, like rear suspension (Kyosho changes that every new zx5 model), plastic in steering and color of the aluminium.
In my oppinium the FS2 is the better choice.
Ultima SC-R and DESC 410R

BOMBK
Norway
Old 29-12-2011

What is different between the FS2 and the FS2Sp Rear?? Booth have MID Arms and The Plastik Hubs! Or what do you mean??

Greets Kim
Old 29-12-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

I think the sp rear end is wider. the standard shocks are excellent anyway I wouldn't bother with the big bores
Old 29-12-2011
No trade access

I would buy the SP, those car are expensive but you hardly break anything or need upgrades. It's a lot of money but resale value would be good in case you need to and big bores and parts alone on Kyosho cars are expensive.
I bought a non SP used and upgraded to SP2 as I needed it for the mid conversion I run and it was so expensive to upgrade I could have bought a new kit and some more.

Just sold myRB5 to buy the WC and very happy with the updated parts.

Check Inside Line Racing for a good price on a FS2 non SP.
Old 29-12-2011
Mad Member

Just get an fs - you really don't need anymore

Ps I have one for sale with everything Inc motors esc servos batteries spares etc etc
Old 29-12-2011

If you pm pedros20 on here he's got an fs2 with big bore shocks in it for sale and its in mint condition aswell. Think he's wanting 225 for it,in my opinion its a bargain at that
Old 29-12-2011

Thanks chaps.

Im going to buy one off of Inside Line this morning but thanks for the offers of the others. I'll probably just go for the FS2 then but there is still time to change my mind????

Thanks
Old 29-12-2011
Super Moderator

Speak to Kev lee at insideline, being a top kyosho driver he will know exactly whats best to buy
Old 29-12-2011

well of course being a kyosho driver, and him wanting to keep his job, that he will tell you newer is better. Any factory driver will tell you newer is better. The manufacturers are in it to make $. They dont want to hear their drivers telling people to keep your old cars, and not to buy new. The same thing goes with most other sports, not just RC.

The newer products are not necessarily 'better' for the average consumer.

Regarding this question at hand here, if you can find a normal FS, then get that. I see them on sale sometimes on ebay, for nearly half the price of a new FS2SP. With the savings you get, put it towards some good electronics.
Old 29-12-2011
Mad Member

Well I have to say for such a good saving get the FS2!!

And I work for kyosho UK so trust me that price is a super bargain not to be missed.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 29-12-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
well of course being a kyosho driver, and him wanting to keep his job, that he will tell you newer is better. Any factory driver will tell you newer is better. The manufacturers are in it to make $. They dont want to hear their drivers telling people to keep your old cars, and not to buy new. The same thing goes with most other sports, not just RC.
WOW!!
Sorry dude but your comment is a little out.
Of course Kyosho want to make money just like every other business out there but they also make it clear that all their drivers are to enjoy the sport and we are far from pushed to make people buy new products. Please don't take offence, it's how it is.

On the original question, there are many other differences on the new car to the old car - ceramic diff balls front and rear as a starter.

As for value for money - as far as I can comment it doesn't matter which you buy - both excellent cars. If you are at the highest level of racing then obviously the newer car but if you are just enjoying the sport then standard car is more than good enough - you can always upgrade it at a later time - hope that helps you a little
Old 29-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm with Tony here, I LOVE my FS2-sp and am so glad I decided to go with a new car for this season.
That said there is nothing at all wrong with the FS2 ... still an awesome car.

If you go for an FS2 I would say upgrade the main diff balls at the time of build (just standard steel in the FS2 kit) and buy the #70 silver front spring. Put 3B pistons 40wt oil in the front and 3A/30wt in the rear ( I still use AE oil) and you will have a car that can at least equal the current CAT/B44.1 etc etc etc.

Somebody above said the rear end was wider on the FS2-sp ... not true, same wishbone lengths. The hubs are slightly different (camber link holes are 1/2 a hole spacing further out on the FS2 than the FS or FS2-sp). There is a difference in teh rear driveshafts too, but that effects driveshaft plunge only so I doubt that will be your biggest concern for your first season back!

If I was spending my own money I would get the FS2-sp BUT that is just my opinion. The cars are so similar though I'd happily exchange my FS2-sp for my mates FS2 for a qualifying run and not feel disadvantaged against the other brands!
Old 29-12-2011

I've bought one!

And it was the FS2 SP. Almost went for just the FS2 as it is far better than i'm going to be but decided to just pay the extra as I knew that I might flap after buying the old car thinking that I shouldn't have been so tight. Had I have been wealthier i'd have bought both but I guess that would have been greedy. Anyway thanks for your comments. Time to get building it and go racing. Oh and regarding whether or not the chap at Inside Line tried to convince me on the new one or not, well he didn't. Infact he simply said either would be great for me but that I might then want to buy a couple of upgrades at a later date for the earlier car. Very helpful and recommended and I will probably buy most of my gear from there from now on.

Cheers

Tommy
Old 29-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm hopefully putting a build guide up in the next couple of days so might be worth keeping your eyes out for.

Hint, get yourself some M3x16/M3x18 & M3x20 caphead screws & some ID3/OD6mm washers
Old 29-12-2011

I think you'll be very happy with your purchase Tommy. Im finaly getting to grips with my Fs2 and had the best result with it yesterday at Broxtowes Christmas Cracker.

One young lad was there running a lazer and he finished 4th in the A final behind three of the country's best drivers.
Old 29-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post
I think you'll be very happy with your purchase Tommy. Im finaly getting to grips with my Fs2 and had the best result with it yesterday at Broxtowes Christmas Cracker.

One young lad was there running a lazer and he finished 4th in the A final behind three of the country's best drivers.

someone mentioned the WC version??

(is this the SP part in zx5 fs2 sp?) or what am i looking for.

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 29-12-2011

the WC is the RB5 (2wd)

the current latest versions are:

ZX5-FS2 SP (4wd)
RB5 SP2 WC (2wd)
Old 29-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSloth View Post
the WC is the RB5 (2wd)

the current latest versions are:

ZX5-FS2 SP (4wd)
RB5 SP2 WC (2wd)

ok thanks for that mate, do they plan a wc version of ther 4wd soon or is that it for a while now.

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 29-12-2011

i'm not aware of any new cars or models coming up. i think the fs2 SP was their "WC" car.

The only further update out for the 4wd is LAW43 which changes suspension geometry. I've not tried it myself yet, but i doubt it is a necessity and they certainly wouldn't update the kit just for that.

HTH