Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 28-11-2009

Default Some Info Needed if possible! :)

Hey guys, Right long story short im at Uni in southampton. And I currently race 1/8th Nitro at clanfield a fair bit. And run a Xray 809 spec and a RC8 Rc Monster leccy conversion. Im looking at maybe getting a 1/10th to maybe pop to race down titchfield sometime. And as its only 20 mins away why not! haha.. So just basically after a few general Q's.

How many on average turn up on a race day-I know it varies.

What is the most popular class-I had a B4 few years back but have my eye on a B44.

Has the track changed much since the pics on the website-Like more jumps or anything-Not a complaint but looks little flat?

What selection of tyres work well in wet and dry conditions

What T brushless or Brushed do most run there too?

What conditions=a cancelled sunday.. light rain? ect.. as I would like to know that, as its more somewhere to race when not racing nitro. But if there are only a few sundays a month that are on.. may have to think twice.. look forward to your replies.. and hopefully see some of you soon!

Looking at what buggy to get, probally a B44 but then will need to save up funds for elecs and batts ect.. as I mainly run nitro and 1/8th leccy.. cheers

Jamie
Old 28-11-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I'll answer what I can and the others can hopefully fill the gaps.

Numbers, we get around teens upwards, I think the max we've had is 20, but that was before we bought the timing system. With winter inbound now numbers do drop. Spring time next year will be the true test

2WD - B4 is the most popular
4WD - Cat SX is the most popular (Phil runs a B44 well)

The more popular class was 2WD, but 4WD numbers have picked up. I think it's the time of year. I am planning on running my 2WD from Spring again

Track hasn't changed much, no big jumps so it's good racing, but not a car breaker.

Last Sunday it was monsoon like with lots of standing water. Hopefully tomorrow will be ok, just typical the weather is nice today. Come down and have a chat if it's not chucking it down?

Tyres - see Steve's post here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33958

To get started I think B4 would be the cheapest route, the B44 is a nice machine but does cost a fair bit.

I am running a Cat SX LIPO with Tekin ESC and Losi 7.5 motor. 1 pack of Speed Passion 5300s (planning on getting another just to remove the pressure of having to worry about charging it, plus if I have a problem with it.)

I hope this helps.
Old 28-11-2009

Ah thanks mike for the quick reply.. yea I see.. yea im actually home in chichester but, if the weather is half decent may pop over.. Yea, Its tricky I had a B4 maybe 5 months ago. When there was big talk of clanfield making a 1/10th track-There is a shorter track now but tbh its not very 1/10th friendly so I sold it to fund my nitro need lol..
Yea, I have always wanted a B44 which is why I do want one, but then as you said there not cheap.. been offerd a few great nick ones for £150 ish.. but Tbh I would have to wait till mid/late next month to afford some half decent elecs. Which is a pain, there is a B4 FT on *Bay.. which has been used once.. comes with 1 nihm pack and 1 lipo pack charge-Have one few spares and traxxas velinion-Or something brushless.. Which Im watching but I would onlu need the batts and car and elecs. But if I got that I know I would upgrade the elecs.. so not sure tbh..

Just curious, how come 2WD is more popular generally..? Is it because there generally slighy cheaper, and more tricky to drive.. being 2WD? never been told the main reason.. not that it matters but more curious.. I know there better for top speed ect.. but surely the 4wd is more of a allrounder? haha anyway. and you say something in the 7.5t region is best then?
Old 28-11-2009

Hi

Not a problem. Not sure why 2WD is more popular, I would agree it's probably due to it being cheaper etc etc and less maintenance.

2WD during the dry run very well, but it's a high grip track when it's dry.

I run a 7.5 with LIPO and it's no slouch. A few run 6.5 and lower. Depends how good you are. I re-started the hobby this year and ran a 10.5 for a while and it was very good (wish I'd kept it).

B4 is also popular due to a lot of members running it, if you have a problem someone can normally help out.
Old 28-11-2009

Yea, I see your point on the B4 being a good choice.. plus you can find them for pritty cheap aswell.. compared to a b44 atleast.. I did look at the Kyosho ZX5 as thats 4WD and takes stick packs-Another pain saddle packs in the B44.

Yea, Im pritty good driver been racing since feb and came 3rd in the summer series.. was 2-3rd the whole series.. Which, I think If I didnt run a Hyper 9-Breaking I could of done even better..
Yea, Im not too worried about the motor size-Not being big headed but Im pritty quick at learning and getting used to different cars ect. Plus great reactions
Yea, the more I think about it think B4 FT could be a better route. Specially if Im probally only going to use it sometimes at clan and at titchfield.. Then, if I start to broaden my racing with it may then think about the B44 later on maybe.. could be a option.. Where is the best places for B4 spares and wheels tyres ect? and recommendation on ESC motor combo's or one's to stay clear off.. dont know much on the lecc side of rc well 1/10th scale.. and suppose if I got a B4 I could spend more on decent esc ect.. aswell.. cheers

Jamie
Old 28-11-2009

Hi,

If you are after a 4WD for sticks then you've also got to look at the Cat SX. I run the LIPO edition, but another racer runs the S1 and that looks good too. The ZX5 isn't too popular at the club - pm DanB as he runs one.

I got my B4 2nd hand and it was great value.

As for B4 spares, been a while since I sold my B4, but I got my bits from DMS and Model Sport. I think others use MK Racing and Microtech. The only place I don't use now is Apex.

Electrics - down to budget - I love my Tekins, but they are expensive.

In my 2WD I run Trakpower 3600s and they have done me well. Also small enough for me to get lead under the battery to bring the weight back up.. In my Losi I run a LRP x11 7.5 again bought 2nd hand.

Speed Passion, Nosram, LRP. I wouldn't use the Losi ESC, but others may say otherwise.

Probably best to post a question in the electrics section.
Old 28-11-2009

Yea thanks for your help Mike! appreciate it.. Yea I have seend the Cat SX but there not any cheaper than the B44 tbh.. I will have a think and try work out how much each route will cost then have a think.. cheers

JAMIE
Old 28-11-2009

I run an xcelorin 5.5 turn setup, and that's fast enough for pretty much anyone's needs, I think. If you're running lipo, a 6.5 turn combo would do well, and probably cheaper to pick up that way. Several people run an xcelorin setup at the club and are happy with it, and it saves you a shedload of cash over the comparable-performance alternatives. Parts-wise, DMS are top notch for associated bits.

Mike - I run 2wd because it's more fun to drive
Old 29-11-2009

Default 4wd car

don't discount the Tamiya DB01R, just as good as a cat and half the price if you buy it from Hong Kong

I run one at TORCH and find it a very stable car and it goes very well on the bumpy track there.

parts are cheap

it is a good car, easy to set up and with the Losi brushless system I use in mine it is quick enough for TORCH

Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

www.huntersystems.co.uk
Old 29-11-2009

Hi Jamie,
Bite the bullet now and get the 4wd, you'll only want to change later and it will save all the hassle of selling to fund new project.
I'm like you, i'm new to 1/10th aswell but i started out with B4 but should have got the B44 it's so much better to drive and the car has taken a bit of a beating in my hands and it has'nt broke (yet).
My Novak GTB packed up last meeting and i bought the Losi 6.5t combo, but i did'nt get off to a good start with it and had to return to Horizon but they were super quick with there turnaround and i now have a new speedo that works fine. It's difficult for me to compare the two as the losi system has not done a race meet yetbut it goes quick down the straight and to fast in the corners for me so it's perfect.
Tyres i have been using are Ballistic buggy spike green compound and schumacher mini pins yellow compound.
Please take what i say as a complete novice to this, i thought i would share what i have learnt. (it ain't a lot).
Tony from Clanfield
Old 29-11-2009

Hi Tony,

Your electrics ok then? Phew...

Nathan got into a low 23s lap in that weather which is Steve territory and that's his first run. Have to say my jaw hit the floor..

It's great as it's inspired us to work more on the setup and get it sweet.

You only need one decent LIPO to do a morning (charging in between)

a few chaps use the demon lipos.

What do you need as i'm sure people at the club will help you get up and running
Old 29-11-2009

haha cheers Tony..
Um I think I will give it a while before I make a purchase if any. As tbh I wouldnt feel completely satisfied until I have had a B44-Im like that lol... so I think its best if I waited to funds to be there and then to think about it more.. As I JUST orderd a new 808 shell from Kieth.. so thats £80 lol..

But yea, If I was to get into the 1/10th I would more than likely get the B44 and some decent elecs.. which would be a fair bit in ££ which I cant afford to spend at the moment.. after only just getting RC8 Rc monster conversion done..

But im seriously thinking about it.. would you say need around £280-300 to get a b44 and half decent elecs and batt to get one going?
Old 29-11-2009

Everything seems fine but there's only one true test and thats on the track.
I watched them in the practise and it's great watching them go and im sure they would have got quicker. i often watch at the nitro racing and it's there presicsion at every corner lap after lap, wish i had that skill.
Old 29-11-2009

Only one thing to say Jamie STUDENT LOAN
Dont worry about the debt
To be honest i bought all my stuff new so i'm not sure what bargains are out there. i personaly dont like second hand as iv'e seen to much ebay junk but i'm sure there are good used kits out there, and this forum is usefull place to start looking, more chance of a better car than ebay i think,
Old 29-11-2009

lol Doing it via parents.. lol not sure asking for £300 for no reason would go down well hahaha.. Your not helping my constant abuse from Tony B! You do realise that haha
Old 29-11-2009

Tell you parents it's for next years course work.
Told you lot at Clanfield 1/8th electric is WRONG 1/10 is what you need.
TORCH is a great little club your made very welcome, the pics don't do the track justice, yes there not the kind of jumps were used to at Clanfield and to be honest i would like some nice jumps but the layout has a nice flowing feeling when you drive it, and it's very rewarding when you get a good lap in (so i've been told) or two. Save your pennies and get the B44 you'll love it.
You dont have to get the latest brushless setup the older brushed systems are good and they are real cheap now, they just require more looking after.
Old 29-11-2009

Yea, I will be getting a B44 dont worry tony haha.. sometime.. what elecs should I be looking at/for what T you running too?
Old 29-11-2009

I'm currently running the 6.5t LOSI XCELORIN SENSORED 1/10TH BRUSHLESS COMBO SYSTEM was £117 from Microtech. Trackpower dark series LI-PO I only own 1 set but i've managed quite easily with it, a 5 minute round takes out about 1000 mah and then i recharge at 4 amps and it gets done just about on time, there are cheaper cells Demon, vampire etc etc!!!! i would buy hard cased packs though, i'm not sure what the club says about the none hard cased ones so it maybe worth asking.
I would make sure your ESC can handle any wind motor
Old 29-11-2009

Yea ok kl thanks tony will do some research.. you reckon buy used b44 or jus save up and wait bit longer and get new?
Old 29-11-2009

Thats a hard question to answer, if you can see the car first and give it a good check over and its OK then go ahead, but £150 is not that far off the cost of a new one and then you get the knowledge of how it's built and how well it's built, i can't think of anything more frustrating than putting a car on the track and it breaks due to poor build, the cost of rebuilding a diff could be £30 and i can't see how you can check a used car over that thourghly.
Me i would buy new every time, i know it bumps the cost up but what price peace of mind?
SANTA'S coming soon