Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > WRCA

Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Maybe if you were the one that people would turn to with lawsuits, claims and the like you would reconsider your "relax the bonds a little bit" stance?

On a side note, as someone who races at Welsh clubs every week can someone actually tell me whats going on as of tomorrow?

The rumour I have heard is that at the WRCA AGM a rule was voted in that means that all Welsh club and regional meetings require a lipo bag (indoor and out)?

I cant find any minutes from the WRCA AGM, no up-to-date rules regarding this and no one off the WRCA Committee has yet been able to confirm, deny or clarify the situation?

Unless the rules, and specifically this "rule" are out in the public domain how are people supposed to know that (potentially) as of tomorrow there is an important rule change that we might need to adhere too?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 31-12-2010

right steve, ill have that lipo bag off you. and pete still love you all, lol. its just im a outdoor person, dont like being stuck indoors during the weekends, hence the quad. think i will keep racing on friday nights though as im not a piss head. see you all soon. oh steve keep that bag for me
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
On a side note, as someone who races at Welsh clubs every week can someone actually tell me whats going on as of tomorrow?
I'm sorry Cris, but no as I am in the same position as yourself! And until the rules are issued I will not be changing the way that Caldicot is run.

Ant, glad to hear it mate!
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats one of many reasons why we all love you at club Pete!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 31-12-2010

Quote:
Maybe if you were the one that people would turn to with lawsuits, claims and the like you would reconsider your "relax the bonds a little bit" stance?
Good point... sadly I am not one of the blame/claim leeches...
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The wrca have no power to pass any sort of rule down to club level full stop. The BRCA can pass a rule to club level by virtue of the organisation overseeing our insurance, anything other than an insurance based rule can only ever be advisory.
Old 31-12-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
The wrca have no power to pass any sort of rule down to club level full stop. The BRCA can pass a rule to club level by virtue of the organisation overseeing our insurance, anything other than an insurance based rule can only ever be advisory.
If the BRCA make it a General Rule, then it is one of the 'golden rules' that you all must adhere to, but I even hear rumours that it may be written to only cover cells that you use to drive your car, which I can't understand, as a LiPo is a LiPo and ALL will combust if abused....

The WRCA, as I have been informed, has brought it in as a rule for 2011, which will cover ALL WRCA affiliated events, and a lipo sack knitted by nanna (yes, there are people thinking that some plumbers solder matt and some cotton thread will suffice) will not be allowed.

I just wish the Ruling would be made so the speculation can stop.
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I wish the speculation would stop first and foremost as the chinese rumours are really annoying.

Ive heard all manner of different versions of "the lipo rule" being told to all manner of different people at certain clubs and it isnt healthy for so many false rumours to be flying around.

IF the BRCA ever deem it necessary to stick "the lipo rule" in the General Rules then we will all adhere to that, as BRCA members at BRCA affiliated clubs, but I havent heard that being the case so cant understand why so many different people are getting so hyped up over something that hasnt happened and quite possibly wouldnt happen?

Hehyo...its nearly midnight

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 31-12-2010

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

im with cosie here as i was at the same exec meeting it was discussed atr, it was NOT discused at the main agm exec, and will not be a written brca rule, it was left to each section to decide what to do, 10th is will not be enforcing it, where as i believe off road and tc will, this IS ONLY for national meetings or brca sanctioned events under the relavent section.

to anyone wanting to imply this and use the wording " a lipo sack" is going to have to come up with some spcifications of what a lipo sack is, tesco do a good range!!
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I like the "knitted by nana" idea Mark lol!

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 31-12-2010

I disagree as the moment the reigns loosen bang it happens again. Whats ten pounds compared to your eyesight? Lipos are still hazzradous even though the technology is better. Its like saying seat belts on cars are no longer needed.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I like the "knitted by nana" idea Mark lol!
I thought that was Shreddies and they are clearly not going to contain a lipo fire!
Old 31-12-2010

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I disagree as the moment the reigns loosen bang it happens again. Whats ten pounds compared to your eyesight? Lipos are still hazzradous even though the technology is better. Its like saying seat belts on cars are no longer needed.
so why did no one take precations when nimh were exploding and damaging eyes?

lipos fail when the user cocks up..........ie wrong charge profile
Old 31-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok as long as you trust the person next pitting next to you does,nt hit the wrong profile by mistake or have damaged equipment or batteries which he thinks can handle one more charge without going off.
We,ve seen people on here believing/thinking they can charge at up to 5c safely. They could be doing that next to you and you wont know till it goes bang.
Old 01-01-2011

To be fair, if I person buys a cell that is rated at 5C, then in theory, they should take it.... in reality, the only bennefit is shorted charge time, and thats it.
Old 01-01-2011

Someone once said on here..." The trouble with common sense is that its not common enough" Maybe our "power caps" should be in little bags/sacks cos those babys will nail you at 50 yards when they pop! Can anyone on here name a club (in wales) that has a lipo fail procedure? cos i race at all the welsh clubs and never heard the slightest whisper of what to do/how to treat one of these lipo disasters. So i guess when crammed in a tiny hall with 50 racers and god knows how many lipos its every man for himself is it?!!
Old 01-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

My personal advice as far as LiPo failures would be as follows Dave

If charging in a LiPo bag make sure that you are easily (and safely) able to disconnect the LiPo (in bag) from the charger with some form of Deans plug release system.
If its safe to do so chuck the bag onto something that wont burn and cover with a bucket of sand.

If charging out of a bag, throw a bucket of sand onto it.

The only way (as far as I know, but im happy to be educated) to "put out" a LiPo fire is to cover it in sand.

If I didnt charge in a bag and my S2/B44 went up with LiPos in it id have no choice but the cover it in sand, probably on my table

Messy.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Old 01-01-2011

When you came to our regional, we had a bucket of sand at the rostrum incase of a LiPo disaster...... we didn't have any bullet proof vests for NiMH's though. The reason sand is used, is that the Lithium combusts when in contact with oxygen, hence the flame, the sand removes the oxygen to extinguish the flame. The Lithium still leaks out, but instead of hitting oxygen in a jet of gas, it weeps through the sand.
Old 01-01-2011
Mad Member

There is no metallic Lithium in a Rechargeable Lithium ion Polymer cell. It is possible to plate-out metallic Lithium but it takes some doing. In a pit side accident what you need to be most worried about is the highly flammable electrolyte. The fire fighting measures (from MSDS) for LiCo2 Panasonic Lithium Ion cells is as follows (it will be the same or similar for the Chinese polymer cells at they use the same chemical system):

FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURE ・Suitable extinguishing media: Plenty of water, carbon dioxide gas, nitrogen gas, chemical powder fire extinguishing medium and fire foam.

Specific hazards: Corrosive gas may be emitted during fire.

Specific methods of fire-fighting: When the battery burns with other combustibles simultaneously, take fire extinguishing method which correspond to the combustibles. Extinguish a fire from the windward as much
as possible.

Special protective equipment for firefighters: Respiratory protection: Respiratory equipment of a gas cylinder style or protection-against-dust mask Hand protection: Protective gloves Eye protection: Goggle or protective glasses designed to protect against liquid splashes Skin and body protection: Protective cloth.

In my view, the use of a LiPo sack is a good move forward as it will help to contain any fire and shield the user or surrounding materials. As I understand it, the LiPo Sack rule is one that must be adopted by the regions. We have added it to the rules section of our website www.brca-midwest.co.uk
Old 01-01-2011

well i just think people go over the top with safety, might as well be wrapped up in cotton wool. for example do you put on rubber gloves to plug something in or where a hard hat everytime you leave your house, do cars drive around in big air bubbles. basically theres danger all around you and where ever you look, at the end of the day how many peaople each year actaully get harmed by a lipo, bet its not anywhere near how many are hurt by fireworks that can be bought at your local corner shop. the day will come one day when rules and safety will end all pastimes and hobbys.