Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2012

Default Where have the young drivers gone?

Hello to all.

Let me clarify for you what I mean by this.

We were at the Robin Hood Racing event this Sunday and well myself and a couple of people got chatting about young drivers and how there is a lack of them.

One of the people there has 2 sons but only had 1 there on the day. I had to ask where the other one was because they normally always in a 3 pack group at our club. (father and 2 sons)

He pointed out that his other son is a bit younger then the son racing that day and that because he still brakes things allot with club lvl he wants to keep the costs down, he also pointed out that because none of the younger drivers where his age he felt that other drivers in his class (some adults) will just get angry with him racing slower and might say something to upset the younger boy and make him not want to race again.

He also pointed out that at his age he just wants to race but wants to really just have fun with the car and at completion lvl well it is completion and most fathers become over spenders to give their kids the best kit to get them to win races.

I think here lies the problem. The kit they use.

On the day there where I think I counted only 4 kids under 13, and the rest where well adults with toy cars and we had 1 woman driver.

What if we had a series like the clio cup?

RTR cheap series where kids up to a set age can race each other but the only thing is that it’s down to driver skill and not the car.

The car will be a brushed rtr car and no modifications are allowed. I think one exception would be tires due to surface changes. This will mean that it’s really down to the individual driver and the fact that someone has beaten you is just down to practice and time behind the wheel so to speak.

Now im not saying RTR TA or lossi cars but more the £100 - £150 mark where the cars are cheap to run and even cheaper to fix. It means the costs are down and well fathers that already come there to race their cars might actually bring their sons and daughters (We need more woman drivers) with to actually try it out.

What you think am I just the only one that has noticed this or are there others and if you have any good suggestions please inform me.

Thanks Vince