Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 16-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default BMW 1-Series (Black), Big Clean & Write-Up

This was one of our company cars that since became available so having spoken to the MD he asked if i'd want to give it a bit of a tidy up so i was keen to get my hands on it.

I picked it up Friday night and started this morning at 8:30 - It wasn't in terrible condition for a company car but just typical signs of not being washed properly or driven particularly carefully to be honest.

This is how the car started out this morning:

So on to the cleaning - starting off with a decent covering of snow foam

While the foam was doing it's thing i went around the car with some G101 and a brush

I rinsed the whole car off, and then set about cleaning the Wheels and arches, using some Autobrite Very Cherry for the first time, can't believe how good this stuff smells to be honest!

Rinsed off

On the Arches i thought i'd give this new Rhino Goo a try, to see how it coped as the arches were a tad dirty to say the least

Working away, it goes a bright green colour so you can really see it

Running on to the tarmac...

All rinsed off after a bit of a scrub with a large brush seemed pretty good!
Old 16-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I then washed the entire car using the 2BM with some Dodo BTBM and a new Meg's wash mitt.

The next stage was to Clay the entire car so i started on the bootlid and it was surprising what was coming off

2nd half of the boot

The rear quarter and doors weren't bad, but the front wing especially lower area was really bad

I rinsed the whole car off with snow foam and dried off to see what was facing me before getting masked up for polishing

Scratch on the bonnet

I taped up and got cracking, starting off with Menz PO85RD3.02 on a Sonus SFX-2 but it wasn't really making much of an impact, so i went up to Power Gloss S100 on the Sonus Yellow SFX-1 Pad which was making much more impact.

I went over it again refining with the PO85RD3.02 and here's a couple of 50/50's - They're not great but i was relying on the Sun and it's really hard to get it in the right place when looking at the camera

I went over the entire car like this and as the rain threatened i didn't get any more pictures of this stage as i just wanted to make sure i at least got the polishing done.

There was a lot of dust from this polish, i think i was probably just using abit too much really so i thought the best thing to do would be to quickly snow foam the whole car to help get rid of the dust.

This was the first time using my new standard Snow Foam from I4Detailing and it was awesome, produced really thick super sticky foam!

I rinsed it all down, and dried using Meg's last touch and an AB Fluffy blue drying towel.

I decided to try my unused pot of Dodo Blue Velvet as it was a nice black finish, and it smells amazing - Definitely a day for nice smelling products!
It went on as easy as any of the Dodo waxes i've used, but the rain kept coming so i had to stop and do a panel at a time before leaving it 10 mins where it rained a bit more, then i came out to dry the whole thing off again and carry on waxing.

Finally got it done and dressed the Tyres with Meg's Hot Rims tyre spray, these are the finished pics

Old 16-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

THEN IT RAINED HEAVILY!!

Oh well, at least it meant i got to go outside after it stopped to get some pics of the Dodo beading

Wing Mirror

I need to do the interior tomorrow, so will do that and get some pics up including some more close ups of the improved areas

Thanks again for reading!
Old 17-10-2010

Very impressive. Any chance you could do my xsara vts?
Old 17-10-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Nice work nick! You seem to gpbe getting good at using the polisher..i am still a wuss in this dept!

Have to get you to do mine next time i am down in the area
Old 17-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.T View Post
Very impressive. Any chance you could do my xsara vts?
No problem :-) just give me a shout
Old 17-10-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

Nick, do you not use two bucket method and wool mitten?

I detailed my mini last week, machine polished the lot, washed it down today and swirl marks have appeared, not ammused to say the least!

Looking to see if i can avoid this as from what i'm told there are only so many times you can polish a car by machine?
Old 17-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi mate, yeah I have two buckets each with grit guards and I always use a wool mitt to wash with... What polish did you use? Did you put any wax or sealant over it? There's no limit really but a cars paint from standard should be 150-200 microns and even with a fairly heavy cutting polish I would expect to remove 3 maybe 4 at most so you'd be going some to get it too thin really... Plus BMWs always have really hard paint
Old 17-10-2010
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

I used poor boys butter wax, apparently its good, and it does leave a great finish.

with the DA I used the same as you, SPX varietys and pads.

After washing it the swirls appeared, then tried to remove some using a polishing cloth, slightly damp to remove fluff, and a well shaken SRP.
Done it in a small area at first and the swirling actually got worse!

I'm thinking either the wax wasnt enough to protect it, possibly didnt put enough on, or something has gone horribly wrong! Quite concerned as the car looks mint beside the light swirling that has popped up.

PS, great work on the bmw! love your write ups, shiney shiney!
Old 22-10-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Paul,

Have you managed to sort the problem??

What polish was it you actually used to remove the swirls? I've heard a lot about SRP hiding swirls so depending what shampoo and stuff you used i guess there's a chance it's been washed away to reveal some of the original swirls that just hadn't been removed???

I find the Menzerna polish to be really good, i usually use PO85RD 3.02 or step up to Power Gloss S100 if needed - Usually that's the case on BMW, VW/Audi paint work....

Cleanyourcar or I4Detailing do a sample pack of the Menz' polishes so maybe that would be worth trying as you will get proper correction that way and all the swirls should disappear......

That's all i can really think of, but SRP worked great on Phil's Honda but then again Honda's have very soft paint so it didn't need much cut to make a difference whereas i suspect the BMW Mini will be the same as any BMW and really need some pressure and a high(ish) cutting polish to properly work??