Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-10-2012

Default My Yokomo 93WCS Masami tribute build

Well there seems to have been alot of discussion on here about Yokomo YZ-10s so I thought i'd share some pictures of my pride & joy & long term project - a 93 WCS YZ-10, that I have finished off to represent the car that Masami Hirosaka used to win the 93 4wd World Championships that was held here, in the UK at the TEMAC track in Basildon.

This car has been a labour of love for the past couple of years since receiving this car from Tamiya Club member Gazan.

This is how I recieved the car;

On stripping the car down it became apparent that the car had at some point had a hefty shunt which had left the chassis cracked;

Some strip-down shots;

I have replaced the chassis with a new one made by Fibrelyte - to my own CAD drawing & to a mould that I made to create the front kick-up (a YZ-10 feature that 1st appeared on the 93WCS) The chassis on the car in the photos is the 2nd one I had made incorporating some tweaks to get the correct look, including a textured finish to both faces to emulate the original, created using formica laminate as the top surface on the mould.

My mould - (at this stage I hadn't added the laminate)

The parts were given a thorough clean & the car re-built around the new chassis, including a few new/good used parts, including a front bumper which was missing (thanks Matt) A new top deck is also fitting - again a part cut by Fibrelyte but out of white G10 material that I had to source myself.

Bead blasted magnesium parts (the star shaped wheel hubs I believe are unique to the WCS model)

On researching these cars & posting my build pictures on RC10Talk.com it has become apparent that this car may have been actually used during the 93 Worlds held here in the UK, by a Yokomo team driver (unknown) - at the very least this car is a pre-production model as it wears some parts that were altered for the kits but match up with the car Masami Hirosaka drove to the 4wd victory.

As a tribute to Masami's victory I decided to dress up this car to look like his original winning car. To achieve the Masami look - I have added the pink wheels (white ribbed dyed pink) & red wheel dots with the correct Proline Stubby tyres mounted, Orange moulded Yokomo wing, correct colouring of shock parts (white spacers, black spring seat & white ball ends - also green springs rear - silver front) a few white Losi nylon nuts & most importantly the Mr Lexan Pavidis shell that I sprayed to match (the best I could) to Masami's colour scheme - all finished with as many of the decals that I can find that appear on the original car too! This car is not 100% finished - I'm sure it will evolve as I find more parts to enhance the Masami look but its almost there. Due to the original/unique nature of my car I didn't want to make any irreversable changes that would make a more accurate replica of Masami's car (his had lots of drill holes in bulkheads & trimmed down peices for lightening) but I wanted the 'look' - so this car is a 'tribute' as opposed to a 100% replica.

A recent shot of Masami's original car from his Facebook page (hope you don't mind Masami?)

Cutting the wheel dots;

It must be said that this is also a tribute to all the people who have contributed with parts etc - I have made many friends a long the way from all over the globe, which for me is the best thing about restoring these old cars, especially as one as interesting as the 93' WCS. Special thanks must go to Matt (username YZ-10) who supplied many of the little odd bits (screws, front bumper etc) & Tony Evdoka of Rudebits who blasted/cleaned the magnesium parts for me.
Old 10-10-2012

So here's the finished pics taken during this years JAE event where Kettering Model Car Club put on a display;

I hope you approve

Last edited by DerbyDan; 10-10-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Double Photo
Old 10-10-2012

That is absolutely stunning sir!

I have allways admired Masami's paint work and you have captured every essence of his Yokomo.

A true masterpiece ! And may i thank you for sharing it on Oople.
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

Arrgh....weak at the knees!
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

Fanbloodytastic!
Old 10-10-2012
Mad Member

Pretty much the most amazing YZ10 (after Masami san's lol) we will see, its a replica of pure dedication, always a pleasure to look at this.

lee
Old 10-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thats stunning ! thanks for sharing

See My Feedback

Old 10-10-2012

Default Yokomo

Fantastic job mate- well done!!
Old 10-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wish I'd know about this a couple of years ago - I had Masami's charger and a few sets of his wheels, plus a signed top deck (off a Works'92) all from the '93 Worlds at TEMAC would have gone nicely with that, but got ebayed off to pay for more modern stuff.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 11-10-2012

Thanks alot for everyone's kind comments... it makes it all worthwhile & really appreciated
Old 12-10-2012

Amazing, just amazing
Old 12-10-2012

It's amazing really is