Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 15-08-2012
oOple Advertiser

If your having a play with it, Could it not be set up so you can't start new thread but can reply without it bumping up the threads?
Old 15-08-2012

£5 is fine

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 15-08-2012

I think it would be a great idea, i spend all the time on here sometimes just spooling through the excellent race reports i have read 100+ times

The reports that Jimmy puts together are great and provide loads of really interesting pics of the tech side of things and some banter

the forum will need some support or how else is it going to become even bigger and better than it already is? on the scammer front it can only improve the security and stop those dodgy rouge accounts using pics off Google Images.

i think its a good idea Jimmy if its done well, Tamiyaclub is massive at the moment and that's £15 annually so i dont think it will be that much of a problem.

LRP - GO engines - KO Propo - Nosram

Model Cars Reading Team Driver

my feedback page
Old 15-08-2012

The other issue though is that the majority of the scams have come from people IM'ing direct from the wanted adds, the subscription wouldnt unfortunately make any difference to them.
Old 15-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Just to clarify Jimmy's original post - the fee would be to post in the trade section only. Everyone would still be able to view the threads and still be able to PM everyone in order to purchase - nobody's status would change except that (unless you had paid the yearly fee) you wouldn't be able to POST in the trade section. Presumably this would apply throughout the trade section inc wanted and non-RC.
I don't see the issue with the fee to sell, but to have to pay to post in the wanted section is not a good idea

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 15-08-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post
The other issue though is that the majority of the scams have come from people IM'ing direct from the wanted adds, the subscription wouldnt unfortunately make any difference to them.

I spotted these and kept banning them. I've spotted most of the say guys attempts at PMing people - you are right that I can't stop people from PMing each other - but I've put warnings up and asked people to inform me of anything slightly sus.

There's been enough dodgy adverts in the past - it's only because we keep an eye on it that it's not still there.
Old 15-08-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlowS View Post

I think the answer there is an easy one. Only deal with people you know or know you can trust.
Old 15-08-2012

Hi

My few pence worth of thoughts. My view on a paid subscription is that it would restrict what is now a very open forum with every member sharing equal status into a 2 tier system for "elite" and "ordinary" members with a certain amount of pressure on new and existing members to upgrade or miss out.

I do however believe that a charge should be made for the use of the For Sale section of the site. I would place a flat rate charge of £1.50 for private adverts and then let the vendor choose to incorporate the fee into the cost of the item or arrange with the purchaser to share the cost.

An arrangement could be made with retail advertisers for a discounted rate for volume use as seen fit.

On a very quick calculation, there have been approx 7200 adverts placed in the For Sale section this year 7200 X £1.50 = £10800.00 a very useful amount by anyones reckoning.

Please don't slate me remember it's only an opinion

Steve
Old 15-08-2012
Mad Member

I suspect if you charged to advertise you would get less adverts so may not be £10000. I think it all should stay free, but agree we should contribute to the running of the site that we all enjoy. Question is how? Maybe all clubs should hold an oople sponsor race once a year where the profits go to oople. I suspect that is a bad idea, but an idea non the less
Old 15-08-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Jimmy £5 for a years free for sale ads!
Old 15-08-2012
Mad Member

£5 is a small price to pay to help Jimmy police the for-sale section and maintain it's high standard. Some people think it is OK, and some don't.

Perhaps we could make the fiver a donation, and get a little tag under our names. Those that want to pay, pay, and those that don't, don't. When you're on the for-sale section you can see who thinks it is good manners and good form to put something back into a service that is being funded out of Jimmy's pocket... and which think it is OK for Jimmy to pay for their convenience and security. Before you buy you make your own decision.

Just my (slightly biased!) thoughts...
Old 15-08-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Perhaps we could make the fiver a donation, and get a little tag under our names. Those that want to pay, pay, and those that don't, don't. When you're on the for-sale section you can see who thinks it is good manners and good form to put something back into a service that is being funded out of Jimmy's pocket... and which think it is OK for Jimmy to pay for their convenience and security. Before you buy you make your own decision.

Just my (slightly biased!) thoughts...
We already have that, But I still don't have a tag under my name
Old 15-08-2012

I have read through all of this and agree that some sort of funding is a good idea, but as most people have already said - the question is how?

In my opinion the best approach is to not be too dependant on any one source as you end up with a definite sink or swim situation and things could just sink. The key is for people to believe they are getting value for money, if they perceive something to be good value for money then the take up will be high. Everybody loves a bargain!!

I would agree with a fee on sales transacted via oOple is fair, although personally I would think either a percentage figure of the sale or fixed monetary rate would be better than an annual fee. Someome would have to do the number crunching to see which was most beneficial to oOple. I guess enforcing the percentage of sale fee would also be more difficult as it is open to manipulation....

Another aspect I would look at would be to ramp up the oOple merchandise, have t shirts, hoodies, pit towels, decals etc all for sale directly from the site.

Another potential huge earner could be click through referral payments from the advertisers on the site. So anyone who clicks through to an online retailer and purchases something, a percentage of the sale or a fixed fee goes to oOple. I appreciate that retailers margins are tight so I'm not suggesting they give large percentages, but a fraction of a percentage would all add up. This is a huge money spinner on the web in general so could be something to consider!?

Also the oOple race.... I don't know the financials of it as it stands but this could be a real cash cow for the site if the numbers were right and it was marketed correctly. Just about every small independent club relies largely on an annual flag ship event to fund the next 12 months. Whether that be a rugby club running a tournament, a club holding some sort of sale or whatever else it may be. If marketed correctly then I am sure all those attending would be happy to pay that little bit extra to fund the running of oOple. As well as the entry fee there would also be plenty of opportunity to raise additional funds during the event. So things like raffles, contracted catering with a percentage of takings, race sponsorship etc.

I am sure there are many other potential revenue streams but off the top of my head these few certainly wouldn't hurt...?
Old 16-08-2012
Mad Member

How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 16-08-2012

Hi

Skye's post pretty much sums it up
Old 16-08-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
How about an Oople national series for the club level guys who can't get into the nationals. Casual fun series maybe 6 rounds similar format to the Invernational. I'd bet that'd be over-subscribed for every round. I'd be all over that. Proceeds to host club and Oople. Generate revenue and get a great race series out of it too. Win win in my book.
Nail on the head! That would be ace....

Pretty much 6 small oOple Races through the year!
Old 16-08-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
Nail on the head! That would be ace....

Pretty much 6 small oOple Races through the year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
I have read through all of this and agree that some sort of funding is a good idea, but as most people have already said - the question is how?

In my opinion the best approach is to not be too dependant on any one source as you end up with a definite sink or swim situation and things could just sink. The key is for people to believe they are getting value for money, if they perceive something to be good value for money then the take up will be high. Everybody loves a bargain!!

I would agree with a fee on sales transacted via oOple is fair, although personally I would think either a percentage figure of the sale or fixed monetary rate would be better than an annual fee. Someome would have to do the number crunching to see which was most beneficial to oOple. I guess enforcing the percentage of sale fee would also be more difficult as it is open to manipulation....

Another aspect I would look at would be to ramp up the oOple merchandise, have t shirts, hoodies, pit towels, decals etc all for sale directly from the site.

Another potential huge earner could be click through referral payments from the advertisers on the site. So anyone who clicks through to an online retailer and purchases something, a percentage of the sale or a fixed fee goes to oOple. I appreciate that retailers margins are tight so I'm not suggesting they give large percentages, but a fraction of a percentage would all add up. This is a huge money spinner on the web in general so could be something to consider!?

Also the oOple race.... I don't know the financials of it as it stands but this could be a real cash cow for the site if the numbers were right and it was marketed correctly. Just about every small independent club relies largely on an annual flag ship event to fund the next 12 months. Whether that be a rugby club running a tournament, a club holding some sort of sale or whatever else it may be. If marketed correctly then I am sure all those attending would be happy to pay that little bit extra to fund the running of oOple. As well as the entry fee there would also be plenty of opportunity to raise additional funds during the event. So things like raffles, contracted catering with a percentage of takings, race sponsorship etc.

I am sure there are many other potential revenue streams but off the top of my head these few certainly wouldn't hurt...?
like the pit towels !

what ever jimmy decides it needs to be easy to apply, the last thing i would think he needs is more work to action it, pay per sale post would meen somone chasing or setting up every transaction, a subscription simply means jimmy allows you acess to post in the for sale section, , same goes for big meeting etc, jimmy and the crew put an awfull lot of time into the oople meeting, of which i would think is sparce.

also the shops pay to advertize on here, so to ask more for each sale may be a step to far?
Old 16-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:

I think I remember a thread by jimmy a few months ago actually suggesting that and asking for ideas/thoughts on such a series.with jimmy saying he's going to put more time into Oople next year which sounds to me that he might be giving up work to make the site more profitable so maybe he can earn a living with Oople alone or some freelance work on top either way I think he really deserves it. Some one mentioned tamiya club earlier in the thread they charge £15 well why shouldn't Oople ?

I reckon with a full time team this site could be even better and the Oople series just one spin off of what's possible from the boys at Oople HQ (sorry and lady)

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 16-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post

also the shops pay to advertize on here, so to ask more for each sale may be a step to far?
I don't agree mark jimmy once told me how much the web hosting costs alone also all the reports and traveling expenses it must cost to give us the race reports we all love. I reckon he will be doing well just to break even.he and the team gave birth to Oople so it's only fair he should reap the benefits as the site becomes more commercially viable.i don't think anyone on here would disagree with that

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 16-08-2012
Mad Member

To £5.00 to sell on OOple for a year is great idea,

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com