Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 30-12-2013

Default bmax4 II WE shocks leaking oil

afternoon, searched the forums but couldnt see anything similar so presume I am making some kind of mistake!

I have a BMAX4 II World edition (with the big bore shocks) and have built them as per the manual 3 times now but every time after a few runs, they are leaking oil, it appears from the "O" rings on the top cap.

Any advice other than follow the kit manual again? I was thinking of soaking the O rings in duck oil to see if they would swell slightly and see if this helps?

Thanks

Chris
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher2009 View Post
afternoon, searched the forums but couldnt see anything similar so presume I am making some kind of mistake!

I have a BMAX4 II World edition (with the big bore shocks) and have built them as per the manual 3 times now but every time after a few runs, they are leaking oil, it appears from the "O" rings on the top cap.

Any advice other than follow the kit manual again? I was thinking of soaking the O rings in duck oil to see if they would swell slightly and see if this helps?

Thanks

Chris
You shouldn't need to. What I think is happening is the tops arn't on tight. pressure builds inside the shock as you tighten the top down. IIt makes it feel tight, but it actually isn't.

Either buy bleeder caps to release the pressure or you have to kind of twist the tops left n right as you push in the piston to allow some air to escape from the threads. Hope this helps.

I'd buy the alloy bleeder caps. They make the job miles easier and less messy as you don't have to leak oil n air from threads when tightening then.
Old 30-12-2013

Thanks for the reply, it does have the plastic bleed caps, if its not a known issue then maybe I am just not being man enough when tightening the caps on! I will try again and man up a little.

Thanks

Chris
Old 30-12-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher2009 View Post
Thanks for the reply, it does have the plastic bleed caps, if its not a known issue then maybe I am just not being man enough when tightening the caps on! I will try again and man up a little.

Thanks
Chris
your welcome. Mine had the blue alloy ones. Just make sure the screw is out as you tighten. They'll nip up tight then.

Green slime or wd40 on the seals for half hour will swell them a little too. I put a driver through the cap to get a bit of leverage.