Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 30-03-2009

Default B-Max: high grip lipo set up

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I had the opportunity to run my Yok for the first time on a really high grip track, a sunny day at the Stotfold track (astro-turf) meant we had the first chance to do a full test day on schumacher yellow minispike tyres, the most common outdoor tyre in the UK.

We tried the full range of roll bars (even up front) and various shock settings etc. and found this setting to be the most effective- you will probably note that this set-up is not dramatically different to the low grip lipo setting I gave previously, the differences ly in the shocks.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yardy_higriplipobmax.jpg (84.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 31-03-2009

Just won a B-Max off of ebay, a very nice car with Champion's pack and other upgrades (very nervous about parts support here in the US, guess we'll see). I've read quite a bit of the forum, anybody having much luck with the larger packs, like the Trakpower 4800, in terms of making it fit? If so, please let me know, so I can try to get everything together parts-wise as soon as I can.
Old 31-03-2009

Hey,

I've been using some Trakpower 4800s in my car... you can make them fit, but you need a few other items- you need the battery posts and braces from a Yokomo BX buggy:

BX118 - Brace
BX118M - Posts

Then you need to space the posts up so that they accomodate the high batteries, around 5mm of spacing washers under each post. Then you need to grind a little clearance off the inside of each post just to batteries slot in and out easily, particularly the little shoulder the brace sits on top of.

its a bit of extra work but they do fit ok. I'll be using the Reedy 4200 saddles in mine when they get here though.

Tom
Old 31-03-2009

Thanks for the Info, been looking to get some lipo's on order but was unsure of how they would fit into the car... much appreciated for the part numbers to order as well!
Old 06-04-2009

Hi Guys,

quick update: Ran the B-Max at Southport yesterday for the first time, we started out with the set up as stated previously in this thread however the Southport track is a little different to Stotfold- there are a wider variety of surfaces at Southport such as Tarmac, grass, cobbles and there are a few more slower technical sections and more severe bumps, but it remains 65% astroturf.

The weather was warm again and so grip was high, we found the set up as stated here to work OK but there felt as though there was more that could come from the car, it was a little twitchy and the rear end was kicking quite hard across any rutted sections. We made some basic changes just to try and calm it down:

- Moved the front shocks to the outer hole on the wishbone
- Came down to a Yokomo pink rear spring

This really helped a lot, the rear end was much smoother, but the change to the front end was the biggest aid, the car was much more precise through the technical areas and changed direction much faster. In addition to this, the first corner was a shallow sweeper that could be taken flat out if the car was set right and with the shocks in the outer hole and effectively stiffening the front end a little I could really attack this section at fall throttle.

I was really pleased with the car again, I think this is a more effective high grip setting than posted from Stotfold and in reflection, we should have made this adjustment there and it may well have been even faster. My view heading into the season is that the pink spring with 25wt oil setting on the rear shocks is a good starting point in any conditions and the front shock bottom mounting position is a good area to adjust when the temperature or nature of the surface is varied- cooler or damp: inner hole, possibly orange front spring if wet. Warm and high traction: Outer hole.

A very versatile car.

Tom
Old 06-04-2009

Cheers for the update on the set-up Tom... how well did the car perform/handle compared to others?
Old 06-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi guys,

Can't get the setup sheet above the go large, does it show 40wt front oil?

Also, are the pistons 2 hole and what diameter holes are they?

Dave
Old 06-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yes 40wt front 25w rear, i cant see piston hole size, id imagine they are champ pack pistons?

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 06-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Hi guys,

Can't get the setup sheet above the go large, does it show 40wt front oil?

Also, are the pistons 2 hole and what diameter holes are they?

Dave
Sorry Dave, yeah they are just the champ pack pistons, equivalent of #2 in front and #1 in back. 40wt oil up front, 25 rear.

Gonky: Tough to say how the car was compared to others as there were only 5 4wd cars at the meeting (it was only a club day) all of which were driven by guys a bit less experienced however I can safely say its the best 4wd I've ever driven around southport and was pretty clear to see why Neil Cragg dominated the national the year previous (besides his skills obviously...)
Old 06-04-2009
Lee-Mag

You are an RC God Yardy!!!

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 07-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sorry guys, Does the setup show antiroll bars and if so at one end or both?
Old 07-04-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

if you open the file right click on it and save it to you PC, you can view the file clearly,toms car was ballistic on Sunday, are mat and Matt dodd chased him round for a few laps but buy lap 11or12 he was lapping them both,i think both Matt's managed 16 Lapps while tom managed 17.it did look the mutts around there.
Old 07-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Sorry guys, Does the setup show antiroll bars and if so at one end or both?
Just the rear- 1.2mm

I did assume people would save it to their PC's in the way Carl has said, sorry it is small...
Old 07-04-2009

Hi Tom,
just a quick question, have you added any weight to the car?

cheers stevie b
Old 07-04-2009

Hi Steve,

No I haven't got any additional weight added, the lipos I have been running are fairly weighty in the context of lipo batts. My car, with lipo installed, weighs in at 1735g. which seems about right.
Old 07-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardeeee View Post
Just the rear- 1.2mm

I did assume people would save it to their PC's in the way Carl has said, sorry it is small...
Sorry, should clarify, my problem has been I have been restricted to using my phone the last few days, which doesn't let me click on the sheet to expand it, or for that matter to right click!!

I am used to enlarging the pics (although didn't know the right click thing!) so am only a 50% numpty

Cheers for the replies anyway!