Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 04-05-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Is a ZX layshaft with a reverse one-way basically the same thing as a ZX-R layshaft?
Slight differences, zx didnt have a flat section on the main bulk of the shaft, only on the threded end but the mk1 had a slot so you could allen key the hub on. Thats the preferred option for the rw spur as you have movement on the slot and the allen key. If you need one i think ive a few la55 (going from memory so could be wrong) somewhere.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 13-05-2015

Are there any alternatives or upgrades for the la-11 pulleys, they seem to be worth a small fortune.
I have seen pics of a white version, anyone got some of those they wish to sell?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 13-05-2015

I have quite a few white but were test variants of different plastics and are not really up for the job. Need an alloy variant made, but if i remember can send you a pair but only good enough for displaying only
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 13-05-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 13-05-2015

What plastics have you tried? I've made a few pulleys (not for ZXR) from delrin and they seem to hold up fine, they are a bigger 20t pulley though.
Old 13-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I have quite a few white but were test variants of different plastics and are not really up for the job. Need an alloy variant made, but if i remember can send you a pair but only good enough for displaying only
Hi James
If you could send me a pair that would be great, they would be for my display car which is the vintage twill weave tub with your design rear gearbox and the blue belts from oosh as well as some other cool vintage parts. The white pulleys would be a nice touch, are they vintage kyosho pieces or some newer prototypes
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 17-05-2015

I have just read all 254 pages of this thread. Amazing.
I used to race along time ago here in New Zealand. I haven't really touched a car for about 20 years. But a few months ago I went to have a look as my friend (type49rs) still races.
He gave me a drive do one of his zx5's. The rest is now history.
I pulled out my triumph I still had and started racing it along with a zx5 I bought here. But the zx5 is not like the zx I used to run an didn't enjoy it as much.
So I got on the hunt for a zxr. Luckily for me a friend sold me a zxr that's been unused and is mint. Just in the process of sorting out some goddies to race it.
Some great information on here. Appreciate all the hard work people have gone into there cars.
Old 17-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Hi James
If you could send me a pair that would be great, they would be for my display car which is the vintage twill weave tub with your design rear gearbox and the blue belts from oosh as well as some other cool vintage parts. The white pulleys would be a nice touch, are they vintage kyosho pieces or some newer prototypes
They are protos i tested several years back, with my zxs. Were not as strong as Kyoshos so think they did the same as the wishbones and added a strand of kevlar.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedarren View Post
I have just read all 254 pages of this thread. Amazing.
I used to race along time ago here in New Zealand. I haven't really touched a car for about 20 years. But a few months ago I went to have a look as my friend (type49rs) still races.
He gave me a drive do one of his zx5's. The rest is now history.
I pulled out my triumph I still had and started racing it along with a zx5 I bought here. But the zx5 is not like the zx I used to run an didn't enjoy it as much.
So I got on the hunt for a zxr. Luckily for me a friend sold me a zxr that's been unused and is mint. Just in the process of sorting out some goddies to race it.
Some great information on here. Appreciate all the hard work people have gone into there cars.
No worries, glad you enjoy it as much as we do. If your going to race it use a 10t brushless motor, unless you opt for tensioners on the gearbox which is what i originally designed but there are now a few derivitives out there so up to you. Due to this i use a 4.5 motor which is a bit like a 13 double top end and accelaration like a 7 double. I do wheely every now and then.

Make sure you run the wider format front end, so may need longer front ujs. I would also advise putting two poles between the two wing mounts to strengthen and the vts slipper clutch and layshaft Alcyon and I designed and tested. Any questions ask away.
Answer UK team driver
Old 17-05-2015

Quote:
They are protos i tested several years back, with my zxs. Were not as strong as Kyoshos so think they did the same as the wishbones and added a strand of kevlar.
No problem, if you could put a pair aside to send with the spur gears that would be much appreciated they will be for my display car. I have been prepping some vintage alloy wishbones for re-anodising for the same car, I had to drill and tap holes on them for sway the sway bar ball joints which I managed to not make a mess of.
Hopefully Stephen gets to my order soon, I'm hoping to get this display car done by Christmas along with my Ultima
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
No worries, glad you enjoy it as much as we do. If your going to race it use a 10t brushless motor, unless you opt for tensioners on the gearbox which is what i originally designed but there are now a few derivitives out there so up to you. Due to this i use a 4.5 motor which is a bit like a 13 double top end and accelaration like a 7 double. I do wheely every now and then.

Make sure you run the wider format front end, so may need longer front ujs. I would also advise putting two poles between the two wing mounts to strengthen and the vts slipper clutch and layshaft Alcyon and I designed and tested. Any questions ask away.
My car I think is a mark 2. Already has the wider track front end with the la59s and longer ujs. I like what you did with the 2 poles on the wing mount and plan to do the same. Great idea. Sourcing parts for these cars is becoming more and more difficult so thinking outside the square is essential
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
My car I think is a mark 2. Already has the wider track front end with the la59s and longer ujs. I like what you did with the 2 poles on the wing mount and plan to do the same. Great idea. Sourcing parts for these cars is becoming more and more difficult so thinking outside the square is essential
Good to see you here on Oople Daz.....along with the other half of NZ it seems Yup pretty sure yours is a Mark 2. You'll absolutely love driving it when you get it up and running. As you already know I much prefer driving my ZXR over my ZX5 FS2 SP. It's quite surprising how well the old cars perform with the addition of modern tyres and electrics

Last edited by type49rs; 18-05-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
Good to see you you here on Oople Daz.....along with the other half of NZ it seems Yup pretty sure yours is a Mark 2. You'll absolutely love driving it when you get it up and running. As you already know I much prefer driving my ZXR over my ZX5 FS2 SP. It's quite surprising how well the old cars perform with the addition of modern tyres and electrics
Hahaha yea can't wait to get it on the track. Will be interesting I think. Just need some time to get it how I want it.
Good things take time. I love your zxr john. Was an inspiration for me to get mine
Old 18-05-2015

Yup does go as quick if not quicker than the modern cars,with a 4.5 in :thumbsup but is far easier and forgiving compared to the rest and makes driving it something to look forward to and enjoy.
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 18-05-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
Yup does go as quick if not quicker than the modern cars,with a 4.5 in :thumbsup but is far easier and forgiving compared to the rest and makes driving it something to look forward to and enjoy.
Sounds good welshy. Loved seeing how far you guys push the evolution of the car.
Just need time to sort it it how I want it. Won't drive it till then
Old 18-05-2015

It's been a long time coming but I've finally taken some pics of my ZXR. It's first outing was a clubday where I raced it in with the modern cars. Surprisingly I got two 1st's and then a 2nd placing to a Losi 22-4.

Next up was the New Zealand Vintage Nationals....the very first ever vintage meeting ever held here. I raced it in 4wd modified (pre 1995) and was the only Lazer at the event. Qualified 3rd and ended up getting 2nd in the finals to a very well sorted Egress. Also raced a Turbo Mid Special with Lazer suspension in the stock class and came home with the win.

Only one small hicup so far.....a broken rear bulkhead after an awkward landing off the triples

Overall an awesome car to drive and thanks so much for all the help/tips in this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01232.JPG (161.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01231.JPG (161.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01235.JPG (160.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01239.JPG (161.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01237.JPG (162.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01238.JPG (162.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by type49rs; 18-05-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
It's been a long time coming but I've finally taken some pics of my ZXR. It's first outing was a clubday where I raced it in with the modern cars. Surprisingly I got two 1st's and then a 2nd placing to a Losi 22-4.

Next up was the New Zealand Vintage Nationals....the very first ever vintage meeting ever held here. I raced it in 4wd modified (pre 1995) and was the only Lazer at the event. Qualified 3rd and ended up getting 2nd in the finals to a very well sorted Egress. Also raced a Turbo Mid Special with Lazer suspension in the stock class and came home with the win.

Only one small hicup so far.....a broken rear bulkhead after an awkward landing off the triples

Overall an awesome car to drive and thanks so much for all the help/tips in this thread
You should have panned up a bit to show of the rest of your shrine :P
Old 18-05-2015

Looks stunning. Well done also.
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-05-2015

Quote:
Sounds good welshy. Loved seeing how far you guys push the evolution of the car.
Just need time to sort it it how I want it. Won't drive it till then
If you need help or advice were always happy to help.
Answer UK team driver
Old 27-05-2015

Default ZX-RR

Hello!
Picked up my first Lazer, the ZX-RR last week from 1st owner. It´s nice addition to my tiny Optima 4wd and mid-collection!
It´s in very good condition, never raced and just been sitting for last 18 years. Has nice Le Mans HF torque competition motor, which I already stripped for overhaul. It also needs some care, at least Ultimate shocks are leaking a bit.
I made some test runs with 19T stock motor, and it really runs nicely. Very different machine compared to my Optima Pro-runner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazer ZX-RR.jpg (456.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 27-05-2015

Welcome to the club, its a great car in standard form but you can turn it into something more stunning when you feel the need.
Answer UK team driver