Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 01-06-2008

Default Newly discovered PB Maxima

Ok ladies and gentlemen , after languishing in my mates garage for about 8 years ive managed to prise this example from his hands.
He has used it but only a few times, the last time he used it was probably 1991 .
I remember someone on here talking about brimod shocks and that i used to own some, well funnily enough its the ones on the back of this car .
Now it needs a good refurbish and the shocks have leaked so either im going to restore it or sell it on to someone else . I havent quite made my mind up yet .
Any how ive posted some piccies up to let you all peruse through.

Old 02-06-2008

nice dampers... I've got a Brimod Talisman old pro ten with those on the back, too. Not exactly a hi-tech pro ten but does have very balanced and supple handling, which most pro tens didn't have.
I'll post a pic of it.
Old 08-06-2008

Hi, the maxima looks great!

The PB cars were pretty much unheard of where I was racing back in the day, but they definately seem really advanced for their time. Belt drive, 2-speed gearbox, etc.

Must confess I've never seen one in the flesh, and certainly not a 2-speed car. Have you? Wonder how well that works.

Anyhow, I happen to have a set of used, original PB wheels that might help out with your project. They've never been glued, and are in good but certainly not perfect condition. Nevertheless, I gather that they are just about impossible to find these days. If you're interested in having them, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out.

Looking forward to seeing another classic back on the road... Nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00081-1.jpg (33.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by tymill; 09-06-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Bigger photo
Old 09-06-2008

Great thread _ I used to drive the PB Mustang which was the Maximas cheaper baby brother. Plastic driveshafts which popped out quite a lot, but the rest was quite good, even if the belt tensioner was a bit iffy!!
Old 09-06-2008

Send a message via AIM to notlawnomis Send a message via MSN to notlawnomis Send a message via Yahoo to notlawnomis

If your talking of the Mini Mustang, it was the predecessor of the Maxima, we raced them when they were first released. These were released around the time the first Schumacher Cats were released in swb guise, and were the only real competitor to the CAT, only my opinion others may disagree. I loved the Mini Mustang, but never really liked the Maxima (although still a great bit of RC history) by time of its release Schumacher had produced the more competitive CAT XL.

Or are you talking about the 1/8th scale car Ted??

I'd still love to get hold of a mini mustang though, would be great for a vintage series!!
Old 09-06-2008

The Brimod shocks were on my Optima http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10010 (there is a pic of a nice clean mini mustang with Brimods all round in that thread, looks like a 2 speed version too)

I might be interested in the shocks for spares if you were ever thinking of selling them separately.
Old 10-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyen View Post
Hi, the maxima looks great!

The PB cars were pretty much unheard of where I was racing back in the day, but they definately seem really advanced for their time. Belt drive, 2-speed gearbox, etc.

Must confess I've never seen one in the flesh, and certainly not a 2-speed car. Have you? Wonder how well that works.

Anyhow, I happen to have a set of used, original PB wheels that might help out with your project. They've never been glued, and are in good but certainly not perfect condition. Nevertheless, I gather that they are just about impossible to find these days. If you're interested in having them, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out.

Looking forward to seeing another classic back on the road... Nice.
Nice wheels ! thanks for that , im really thinking of putting it up for sale but not sure.
Its even got one way drive shafts on the front aswell!
Old 11-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlawnomis View Post
If your talking of the Mini Mustang, it was the predecessor of the Maxima, we raced them when they were first released. These were released around the time the first Schumacher Cats were released in swb guise, and were the only real competitor to the CAT, only my opinion others may disagree. I loved the Mini Mustang, but never really liked the Maxima (although still a great bit of RC history) by time of its release Schumacher had produced the more competitive CAT XL.

Or are you talking about the 1/8th scale car Ted??

I'd still love to get hold of a mini mustang though, would be great for a vintage series!!
No, I did mean mini mustang. but we never had 1/8th cars where I raced so we just called them Mustangs! I did put Maxima front driveshafts on my mini-mustang, and that made it much more reliable, however, it couldn't keep up with the Optima Mids which seemed to be the weapon of choice. I loved mine though and even got piccies of it in the local paper for the South West regional!
Old 01-09-2008

Default Mini mustang's / Maxima's

Yep I had a 2nd hand mini-mustang back in yesteryear, I loved it!! I too had the problem of the std plastic dogbones jumping out on full lock when you touched a hose etc.Replaced them with proper one way units.

Also went to my local model shop who recommended a fine pitch gear conversion...so I went for it. For the next month or so I snapped 4-5 belts..........
Wasnt until I realised the guy had given me the fine pitch diff pulley's etc but not the fine pitch belt tensioner!!Whoops!! I was only about 11 at the time-took me a while to realise!! Great car-I don't have the actual car anymore but I did treat myself 3 years ago to a new in box one!! 2 speed mini-mustang!! Cost me a small fortune n been tryn ever since not to build it. I swore to myself I would never n so far I havent.

Also have a pretty new Maxima 2nd hand 2 speed.The front end is all brand new-an the rest in great condition. Loved racing these PB cars back in the day...until my mates and they're rc10's were beating me..my little 1200 scr cells wouldn't last 5mins in the pb's-and my pocket money could'nt afford the sce's!!
Old 02-09-2008

Nice find,

I have only ever seen one in the flesh. It used to race at batley when I did back in the late eighties I think. The guy that had it was good, he was competitive against the optima mids and cat xls of the time.