Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 26-03-2012

Default Advice Request - A Car for a beginner

Hi All,

I've started doing some research into RCC racing again after being out of it for 16 years. I used to race mid nineties at a local Gloucester Dowty Track. I used to race a Bosscat and Procat, and the last car I bought was the Cougar 2000/95 which never got used. It has been sat disassembled in my loft ever since.

I would effectively like to get back into it, but I imagine everything has moved on since I last was involved.

Therefore I was wondering if you could give me some hints/tips on any car packages currently selling at dealers for, any packages with cars and radio gear in one for beginners, or good for newbie 2nd hand cars to keep a look out for.

Something that would be good for starters with a good value, with the car, radio gear, power unit etc, that won't break the bank whilst I get my hand back into racing etc. Or would the Cougar 2000 still work (without being laughed off the track), if I rebuilt this and got the radio gear etc for it?

I am starting my research into what to get, and some advice from existing racers would be gratefully received.

Regards
Matt
Old 26-03-2012

The RC10 B4.1 RTR (Ready to Run) is a good place to start, comes with a decent enough brushless setup and radio gear.

If you do eventually upgrade to something more expensive/competitive like the Factory Team version or a C4.1 mid-motor conversion, then any wheels, tyres and spares you build up will all still fit.

I wouldn't bother spending any money on the Cougar. The first time you break something at the track you'll be going home as no one will have spares to help you out. I'm sure it could still be reasonably competitive, it's just not worth the hassle.
Old 26-03-2012
Mad Member

I'd try and get to the place you want to race and see what the popular car is at that track. Ask what ESC ( Electronic Speed Control's ) people are using, see what radio's they have.

You can spend a fortune on this hobby but if you're clever you don't need to spend much. I'd advise getting lipo cells new but everything else you can probably pick up 2nd hand, the For Sale section on this site is great and there's a way to check the sellers as people leave feedback.

If you want to buy new giving us a budget would be real useful to work with.

My paintwork thread
Old 26-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Matt,

the two regular racers from Cheltenham, AdamU and I, both run Kyosho so if you wanted help with spares, setups and all the related stuff I would say it's a no brainer.

AdamU was in your position last year and as far as I can tell is still loving racing and the Kyosho cars (well we spent a total of about 16 hours at the track together this weekend, didn't see too upset).

Come to the shiny red K ... you know you want to
Old 26-03-2012

Their are a few people who run older cars in the Mid West on a regular basis, and enjoy running them. A guy at Kidderminster yesterday was running a Fab 2000, which was the mid motored version of the Cougar 2000. as for spares, Schumacher still do spares for their vintage cars and are available. Have a look on Schumacher website and checkout Vintage Section.
Cougar 2000 was a good car in it's day.
Cars have moved on year by year, so if you going for the fun of running a vintage car, or you want to have latest models, it's your choice but you definately won't be laughed off the track.
You won't have to spend a fortune to get going, and if you come to the Mid West to race, you will be welcomed and advice is free! .
Old 26-03-2012

Ansmann is another good option. My son has a Mad Monkey RTR. All you need to add is a lipo battery and charger, so you can be on track for circa 250 quid. I would add a bearing set to the car and 2 x RW Idler gears in the gearbox. Both mods less than 20 quid total. It's a very easy car to drive and also easily upgradable if you enjoy being back in the sport. This or the RC10 mentioned above are great options.
Old 26-03-2012

I would had agreed with the RTR Monkey but a friend bought one following my recommendation (looked ideal, on paper..) & unfortunately we've had trouble with it from the off, motor wire polarity back to front, no prog. card available to adjust the esc, then worst of all getting too hot & cutting out within 2-3mins for no reason. Now Ansmann are causing problems with the necessary repair/replacement.

All the wires are very thin, the capacitor wire broke. As regards to the electrics, it all seems a bit... cheap & nasty tbh. Aware you get what you pay for but i now just don't think it's worth it. Best buy the kit & install your chosen electrics to go in it, plus, as mentioned the little upgrades to allow it to cope with brushless.

In hindsight i'd have recommended a non RTR, or secondhand.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 26-03-2012
Mad Member

2wd cars are cheaper and easier to maintain. You have two choices of car, either mid or rear motor, however mid motor cars are more popular in the uk as they are suited to high grip surfaces such as carpet, and Astroturf.

You then have to consider if you want one of the following:

Purpose Built Mid Motor
Cougar SV/SV2
Ansmann X2c or Team C TC02C (same car)

Dual mid & rear motor
Losi 22
Durango 210

Rear motor cars that have a conversion kit
Associated B4 (Vega, C4.1)
Kyosho SP2 (Vega)
Tamiya 201 (Vega)

It all depends on your budget/preference. I run the X2c/TC02c, an excellent car in my opinion. Another thing you should consider is what people at your local club run (always good for setup advice and emergency spares).