Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 04-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryer-evo View Post
In my experience it is a vital part as its the only thing I have managed to brake and 3 times on my car it's the only week link ��
If you used the kit 22 short ball studs with 2mm spacers then they could pull out of plastic block under heavy crashing but that was commonly found early on with the car and replacing with longer TLR ball studs when using thicker shims cured any issues there, same with front camber block.

certainly not a weak spot or design flaw with plastic parts, aluminium option does strengthen this as long as you dry threadlock the ball studs as they can loosen if not checked regular
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch76 View Post
Anyone know if there will be a conversion kit for a 1.0 to a 2.0. I presume you can convert? Or will it just be a case of buying the parts separately?
Only Page 2 of this chat there is a parts list to do just that. If you have the hop up parts already on your 22 you only need about £45 worth of spares to get the 2.0 spec on your current car.
Old 04-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute alignment View Post
Only Page 2 of this chat there is a parts list to do just that. If you have the hop up parts already on your 22 you only need about £45 worth of spares to get the 2.0 spec on your current car.
Which parts are you choosing for this '2.0 conversion' for £45?

IMO you need the whole list of different 2.0 parts to get the benefit as a package.

Buying just wishbones, hubs, steering rack etc to get the geometry changes isn't going to get you the improved shock action, diff action, slipper action, smoother suspension movement or chassis balance as full 2.0 kit which will make the car a more competitive package.
Old 04-09-2013

Hi the car sounds and looks good compared to the old, hope it's easier to drive for us mortals lol

May have to treat myself when business picks up( have some spare money ) anyone want any business cards flyers etc lol

http://www.oople.com/forums/image.ph...ine=1360240269
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Which parts are you choosing for this '2.0 conversion' for £45?

IMO you need the whole list of different 2.0 parts to get the benefit as a package.

Buying just wishbones, hubs, steering rack etc to get the geometry changes isn't going to get you the improved shock action, diff action, slipper action, smoother suspension movement or chassis balance as full 2.0 kit which will make the car a more competitive package.
Mr CHimp's, I have just gone for the arms etc as I have host of the hop up parts already, I didn't go for the slipper as mine performs fine or the new bodyas I will wait for mine to be damaged before I get the new one. My car can be viewed as a tlr 22 1.7 maybe!
Old 04-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi All,

Are the bodies available yet,if so who stocks them.

Thanks Mark.
Old 04-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Hi All,

Thanks Mark.
I was informed that no spares have been shipped from Losi for the 2.0 and I've not seen any advertised. Kits yes, parts no. Apparently there was a chance to get some kits shipped over early before the 27th release date so that is why there are kits around but no spares.
Old 05-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute alignment View Post
Mr CHimp's, I have just gone for the arms etc as I have host of the hop up parts already, I didn't go for the slipper as mine performs fine or the new bodyas I will wait for mine to be damaged before I get the new one. My car can be viewed as a tlr 22 1.7 maybe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post
Before getting my hands on the new 2.0 today I'd have said the same but on closer inspection there are lots of changes all over the car. The new shocks look superb, the chassis is now fully milled out below the servo so it sits lower, there seems to be so many tweaks around the car that very little is left untouched from the original 22!
Has there been changes made to the 2.0 version of the car? Absolutely.
Has there been "very little is left untouched from the original 22"? That's highly exaggerated.

The reality is that many if not most owners have kept up with the running changes that have been made for the car, or upgraded items themselves with aftermarket parts, that many people are going to find the major changes in suspension geometry the only changes necessary.
I don't understand how you can say that the "shocks look superb," since they're visually essentially the same as the old shocks. Other than the bleeder caps, that most people changed out a long time ago (or others find unnecessary), and the new shock shaft coating, they look exactly the same as the original shocks. Otherwise, the major change in the shocks was the internals: pistons, spacers, and x-rings - but many owners have previously addressed these on their own as well.

Yes, the chassis has been milled in the servo area to lower it a millimeter or so - but let's not get carried away suggesting major changes have been made over the entire vehicle as this is far from the truth.
Old 05-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
So it doesn't come with the alloy rear block for mid motor ? That's flipping stupid

What's "flipping stupid" is to think additional alloy parts wouldn't drastically increase the retail price.
And if price is no object, just buy the flipping thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
not really, it's not a vital part, more bling than performance enhancing, plastic one is adequate enough and it keeps kit price more reasonable.

A UK spec car would have been nice but unlikely with size of our market in comparison to USA and other more clay/dirt racing markets

sell the rear motor one included to someone abroad and use proceeds to buy a mid motor one, simples!

Quote:
In my experience it is a vital part as its the only thing I have managed to brake and 3 times on my car it's the only week link ��

Your "experience" must have been in crashing heavily, very often, because I think you're the only person that I've ever heard of that's broken a mid-motor camber block. So my advice would be in stop blaming the car for the actual weak link, your driving.
Old 05-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
Hi All,

Thanks Mark.
Word has it on the U.S. forums that the cab-fwd body won't be available until next month (maybe even later, following after the spares).
The team drivers are not using it as an end-all, but instead as a "tuning option" depending on the track you're running.
Old 05-09-2013

".."
Old 05-09-2013

This reminds me of a fantastic discussion with a customer not willing to understand why someone would bother paying a lot more for a Spektrum DX18 QQ radio than a DX18. My response is quite simple.

If you don't know why you should buy it, you have no need to buy it.

All of the changes to the 22 are for me major improvements. One side of things are the option parts and design changes, another is build quality. Even though the shocks look the same, the fact that the coating is better, the o-rings are better, the pistons and bushings are machined and they come with the bleeder caps, should make these shocks able to not just feel ok for a day, but maybe even feel great like Kyosho-shocks, and maybe even outlast them. Back in the day I remember buying Unobtanium shock shafts for my AE, and they outlasted the car, staying supershiny and smooth. With the current TLR-shafts, I change them a lot more often, and they wear pretty bad.

It's just how many small streams make a river. All the improvements and mods we've done over the years, better finish, and even more changes and options, all in one neat package for those buying a 22 now, and for those of us whose 22 is both old, worn and ready for replacement.

I have been urging to clean mine up and putting it on the shelf next to all the trophies it has gotten me, and now I can finally do it.

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 05-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks guys for response on body, shame its gonna be that late but worth the wait.
Old 06-09-2013
Banned

This reminds me of a fantastic discussion with a customer willing to pay a lot more for a Spektrum DX18 QQ than a DX18 radio. My response is quite simple.

Who do you think you are Darren Bloomfield or Martin Sørlie?
Old 06-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post
Ok so I'm not telling the truth then...

Quote from Frank Root of TLR when discussing modifying a 22 to 2.0 spec

"Since the chassis, shocks, diff, hinge pins, axles, body and wing all changed, not to mention half the plastics, it's going to be way cheaper to get a kit."
What I took offense to was in you saying there has been "very little is left untouched from the original 22"?
I said it was highly exaggerated. If you want to interpret that as not telling the truth, then so be it.

But before you start quoting facts and figures stop putting your own spin on what others have said, and check it out yourself.

Frank has openly admitted on the U.S. forums that "the shocks (except for the internals) are essentially the same." Most people that have 22's have long ago addressed the leakage issues, and gone to other brands of 2-hole pistons. People have been upgrading their diffs since this car came out. The wing is essentially the JConcepts 6.5 wing that's been out a year or so, while the body, other than a little larger sidepods, is essentially the same as the original.

If you feel lowering the servo in your car 1mm makes you feel better, then go for it. If you think the change in coating to the shock shafts and hingepins are going to make you faster, good.
Again, this is not a complete redesign here, Frank also said that as well too. Even the cars the team drivers used at the U.S. Nats were NOT complete 2.0 versions, and instead modified 1.0's.
Nothing against Frank here, but he's a project manager, a salesman of sorts. His job is to convince us to buy the new car. Did you think he'd do otherwise?

If you're going to compare the XXX-CR to the original 22 - then yes, very little was left untouched.
But this is more like the change the AE lads went through when going from the B4.1 to the 4.2. Changes, yes - but the absolute need to buy a completely new car, or suggest it'd been completely redesigned, I think is a bit much.

Sure, there are going to be chaps that have completely worn out their 1.0's - but there's also a great number that have kept theirs fresh (or have nearly new ones) in which case the investment in a complete 2.0 isn't a wise choice. And instead they're going to make the more frugal choice of just upgrading the basic geometry pieces, and spend the extra £75-100 on something else.
Is the 2.0 going to be great? Sure it is. But if you were a C-Finals driver with your 1.0 is the 2.0 going to get you into the A-Finals? I don't see it happening.
Old 06-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
This reminds me of a fantastic discussion with a customer willing to pay a lot more for a Spektrum DX18 QQ than a DX18 radio. My response is quite simple.

Who do you think you are Darren Bloomfield or Martin Sørlie?
Whoa, easy there. And please copy/paste the quote without leaving out half the sentence.

I'm definitely no Darren Bloomfield, but I do have near 20 years of racing experience and some understanding of the devil in the details. But as with all others, this is just my opinion.

Team Smallsize
Old 07-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Whoa, easy there. And please copy/paste the quote without leaving out half the sentence.

I'm definitely no Darren Bloomfield, but I do have near 20 years of racing experience and some understanding of the devil in the details. But as with all others, this is just my opinion.
I didn't leave out half the sentence, I fixed it so you could see the ironies.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - everybody's got 20 years of racing experience. So let's keep it to the facts so to not confuse the newbies.
Old 07-09-2013

I personally have never Brocken a thing on my car but my girl friend has evon with the long ball studs in it and yes she dose crash often
Old 07-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
I didn't leave out half the sentence, I fixed it so you could see the ironies.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - everybody's got 20 years of racing experience. So let's keep it to the facts so to not confuse the newbies.
I'm not exactly sure where you are going with this, but of course, freedom of speech and blah blah:-p

It's still plenty of little improvements on the 2.0 that would be worth it for anyone considering a new car.

Team Smallsize
Old 07-09-2013
Banned

Quote:
I personally have never Brocken a thing on my car but my girl friend has evon with the long ball studs in it and yes she dose crash often
There's an old expression in driving cars, both 1:1 and RC:
"If you crash, it's not the car's fault it breaks. If you crash often, expect to repair just as often."