Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 03-06-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie Top Force

COOL! Still got my original RC-10 Graphite!

David
Secretary/Treasurer
Southern Highlands Off Road R/C Car Club Inc.
(NSW Australia)
http://shorrcccinfo.wix.com/shorrccc
www.facebook.com/SHORRCCC
Old 03-06-2013
Administrator

Who (in the UK I guess) would be up for racing a tightly controlled re-release original rc10 class? Possibly with some spec motor and esc that are inexpensive to buy. No upgrades or changes to the car?
I'm thinking the oOple Series and Invernational for starters and depending on interest 1 or two full heats of box-standard re-release cars doing battle with no one having an unfair advantage.
I think it could be a lot of fun.
If we discuss some rules now then those interested in racing what essentially would be a 'fun' class, then we can get an idea of numbers.

Speak up my friends
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Who (in the UK I guess) would be up for racing a tightly controlled re-release original rc10 class? Possibly with some spec motor and esc that are inexpensive to buy. No upgrades or changes to the car?
I'm thinking the oOple Series and Invernational for starters and depending on interest 1 or two full heats of box-standard re-release cars doing battle with no one having an unfair advantage.
I think it could be a lot of fun.
If we discuss some rules now then those interested in racing what essentially would be a 'fun' class, then we can get an idea of numbers.

Speak up my friends
I am.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-06-2013

I could be tempted

Chris
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Would it have to be a re-re or could I just use an original?
Old 03-06-2013
Administrator

if it's an original original -short arms, 6 gear, no hopups then for sure. But there can't be many around that unmodified?

Once you get people putting things like mip steering on there it becomes unfair.
Old 03-06-2013

I’ve just pre-ordered mine, now I’ve got to get a BRCA license so, if possible, I can race it. So excited by this. Keep trying to explain to people outside the hobby how cool it is!!
Old 03-06-2013
Banned

Quote:
if it's an original original -short arms, 6 gear, no hopups then for sure. But there can't be many around that unmodified?

Once you get people putting things like mip steering on there it becomes unfair.
I hear what you're saying, but - and not sure if you were around 'back in the day' - but the aftermarket steering was all but a necessity..... and I don't think most here have any idea what they'll be facing dealing with those gawd-awful 6-gear trannies.
Old 03-06-2013

How many are being released? Its a limited edition isn't it?
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

I have two

Just noticed the re-re will have oilite bushings, would bearings be outlawed too?
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilkinson7 View Post
How many are being released? Its a limited edition isn't it?
According to the chat on RC10Talk only 2000 worldwide are being produced. It would be surprising if they went to the effort of tooling etc. just for such a short run.

Wild speculation, but maybe they’re doing a strictly limited run of the gen 1 car, then releasing something a little more ‘raceable’ later on.

All we can do is hope
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

When I built my first RC10 up (1987) the short arms and standard steering never made it on to the car. Most people assumed the long arms were stock as every RC10 had them.

So would I like an RC10 class? Yes, but not a box stock one. I'm fine with staying 6 gear even though the Stealth box really improved the car, and I agree with no trailing arms, 4wd etc but long arms and improved steering were basically required back in the day too.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 03-06-2013

Would like to see more vintage racing in general, not just a specific class related to one car.
Associated RC10's, RC10T, B2 & T2
Kyosho Ultima XL
Losi JRX2, JRX Pro & Pro SE
Yokomo YZ10 94

The Veterans Inner Circle. Sponsored with Pot Noodle and Tunnocks.
Old 03-06-2013
Administrator

You can use zipties - but mip steering? so 1 or 2 people will have it. hmmmm.
Long arms? Nah, didn't the short arms win the worlds? Craig Drescher ran the short arms at the EOS. My original came with short arms and my CE1 and CE2 both came with long arms I believe - but my CE2 now looks like an original rc10 but with a stealth gbox. It's either a limited class or it's not. Bushings - forsure those can be replaced - the 6 gear box doesn't really like bushings.

Just my suggestions - I think if you're gonna race an original rc10 it needs to be original. not a hop-up festival.
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Mine is pre-ordered. I'll keep it standard, apart from replacing the oillite bushings, not having them at all.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-06-2013
Administrator

I had a used 6 gear box that had been run on bushings - it was a right mess
Old 03-06-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Long arms? Nah, didn't the short arms win the worlds? Craig Drescher ran the short arms at the EOS. My original came with short arms and my CE1 and CE2 both came with long arms I believe - but my CE2 now looks like an original rc10 but with a stealth gbox. It's either a limited class or it's not. Bushings - forsure those can be replaced - the 6 gear box doesn't really like bushings.

Just my suggestions - I think if you're gonna race an original rc10 it needs to be original. not a hop-up festival.
A&L have rereleased and have been selling the steering parts for some time. http://vintageteamaandl.com/steering.htm
A short arm RC10 won the 85 Worlds, it also still had the standard RC10 steering arms as well. You can read about the building of the replica that was shown at RCX here, but the only competition was Scorpions and Frogs.

Craig Dreschers chassis at the EOS is a Worlds with wide arms, stealth gearbox and a whole load of mods including the A&L steering.http://eos.redrc.net/gallery/?nggpage=6

But I agree, if you are going to race them there's nothing wrong with keeping them box stock and see what we actually used to race with back then. No slipper and Holiday Buggy tyres are bigger problems to deal with than the upgrades. Allowing steering upgrades and wide arms would just end up with everyone buying them and you end up in the same position with everyone having a matching spec again just having now spent more money on it.
Old 03-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If it's a limited run car you may find it hard to get enough people with the rc10 to run a class, But maybe a class thats pre 1986 or something so the rc10 would be racing against hotshots and optimas, as it was back then with say a control tyre of the tamiya oval block and a 540motor rule...just a thought?

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 04-06-2013
Banned

Quote:

There were zillions of the aftermarket bellcranks made by a multitude of manufacturers, including: Losi, Hogue, and others (i can't remember off the top of my head.
There's a lot of them out there (just looked on ebay and found about a dozen rather quickly), so it's not like it's rare or unavailable.

And being as this car is coming with CVDs, while the original didn't. Well.....

You want to make it a "limited class," then limit motors to something reasonable for the car like a 21.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
If it's a limited run car you may find it hard to get enough people with the rc10 to run a class, But maybe a class thats pre 1986 or something so the rc10 would be racing against hotshots and optimas, as it was back then with say a control tyre of the tamiya oval block and a 540motor rule...just a thought?
I tend to agree with this, in premise. Over in the States they've been doing the vintage thing pretty actively for about 5 years or so, and I think it's pre-1995 is their cutoff.
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

I'm not sure if it will be a problem, numbers wise. Sorry terry you're right about dresch's car- compared to anything elss the long arms are really short!

Keep it standard and fun.