Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 05-02-2015

Default Mid or Rear?

My 22 is currently rear motor mount and I was looking on YT at mid mounts, a few reckon that mid is better over rear in high traction tracks like indoor carpet, which is what we use at our club.

I am NOT a good driver by any stretch, I race for pleasure but the 22 is a bit too much for me and I race my 4wd Yokomo usually.Love to use the losi and I wondered if converting to mid mount would make any difference to a complete plank, or should I just leave alone get used to being lapped?
Old 10-02-2015
Mad Member

I would say give it a go in mid-motor layout.

I've raced my 22 in both mid and rear on a mixture or surfaces and found that the mid motor layout feels more consistent around the track, jumps better and is generally easier to drive when the surface has a lot of grip.

So although it won't improve your driving skills, having a car that is easier to drive will ultimately be quicker around the track and may well help improve your driving skills.

I'm more than happy to post my current astro set-up if you want a starting point for running on carpet in mid-motor guise.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 10-02-2015

Sorry to join in but I would be interest in seeing your set up. Having just changed to mid motor will be running indoor astro on Friday with the car built mid for the first time.
Old 10-02-2015

Hey....joining in is good fella.

I found a spare chassis for the car I usually run, so I think I will give 'mid' a go, something else learned if nothing else. Are there any other parts required to do the switch, or does it use whats there already.
Old 10-02-2015

Yeah it is a different gearbox and rear plastics for mid motor. Should all be in the kit. Or have a look at the instructions and will show all the parts needed.