Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 07-06-2011
Mad Member

Default ORCA VTC PRO. WHAT A LOAD OF OLD TAT.

Went to race as always on tuesday evening, and You've guessed it the orca has packed up. Now I know that these things happen, but this is now the second one that I have had in as many weeks. The speed starts cogging, sensor leads have been changed and the controller will not take a program from the card and will nor reset. So it has gone back to the Model shop who was great about it and suggested that I have something else as I'm mildly frustrated.

As sad as it is I really look forward to racing a couple of evenings a week, it is my little escape and time to chill and it is most upsetting when something that is not your fault lets you down. If you smash the car up then thats racing but unreliability is just hard to live with.

Has anyone else had these troubles with the Orca stuff?
Old 07-06-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

To be honest, we've not experienced problems with the ORCA stuff, we love em!!

Though, over the years I've seen pretty much every make of speedo go wrong at some point or other. They're complicated little beasts!

I think you've just had some bad luck, hope you find something you're happy with, what you gonna try next? Speed Passion?
Old 07-06-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Bad news tonight buddy, not good its the second one either.
Old 07-06-2011

Havent had any problems with mine as of yet. Unlike the speed passion I had, 3 laps and it would shut down, wasn't getting hot, sent it back and was told there was nothing wrong with it, not impressed at all.
Old 07-06-2011
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

It sounds like you've been really unfortunate. I can understand your frustration but it sounds like you've been very unlucky. We've sold a few of these without any returns and I know a lot of drivers running them.

I do know that Answer RC are very good with sorting problems out so if you decide to stick with them I'm sure you'll be happy with the after sales support.

As Simon said, it can happen to any make. What ever you choose to do I hope you have some better luck!

Kev
Old 07-06-2011
Mad Member

Orca stuff is awesome, I run it in both my cars and its been superb.. (as do quite a few others I know)

Mine barely get warm and running Matt O's settings is silky smooth and very quick.. really couldnt be happier with it.

Are you racing at Moto Arena on Tuesdays? If so have a word with some of the team guys.... Is the motor the same one used on both speedo's?

Just make sure its the speedo thats the problem before you swap!!!
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

I have to say until the problems I was loving it. Just seems strange that 2 should go in such quick sucsession. I don't know what to do next. I was toying with the idea of the v2 xx LRP TC speedo but am unsure. Do I give orca one last try. If not the speedo what could be the cause? I'm running the team settings. But as I'm sure you all will agree reliability is key to winning or at least to be in with a chance. What to do. The lrp is more money but to be honest i don't care I just want peace of mind.
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
I have to say until the problems I was loving it. Just seems strange that 2 should go in such quick sucsession. I don't know what to do next. I was toying with the idea of the v2 xx LRP TC speedo but am unsure. Do I give orca one last try. If not the speedo what could be the cause? I'm running the team settings. But as I'm sure you all will agree reliability is key to winning or at least to be in with a chance. What to do. The lrp is more money but to be honest i don't care I just want peace of mind.
I run mine on the kit settings, seems to be quick enough! Do you have these team settings?
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

yes I do
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

I have an Orca Qspark speedo, which replaced my Novak GTB and I've had no issues at all.
runs well and if i'm honest i noticed no differance between the GTB and the qspark when i switched
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

If there is an issue with the motor it could be causing the esc to fail.. I have experienced it myself with another brand.

Got to say the shop hasnt been great by suggesting you just try another brand, they should really try and find out what the problem is...

If it is the motor, it wont be long before it cooks another speedo and you have another crap nights racing...
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by x313 View Post
If there is an issue with the motor it could be causing the esc to fail.. I have experienced it myself with another brand.

Got to say the shop hasnt been great by suggesting you just try another brand, they should really try and find out what the problem is...

If it is the motor, it wont be long before it cooks another speedo and you have another crap nights racing...
The shop in question is us, MK Racing, I was at the track last night & saw "THE Chef's" frustration, I offered to swap for an alternative make if he was unhappy to have a new Orca, not all shops would do this

We tried a new motor & that did not solve the issue, it is not frying the speedo, it is the sensor board that has failed, not sure why, could be impact or a bad joint on the board.

I have spoke to Answer today & the unit has gone back for replacement, "The Chef" & I have spoken today & I think he is going to stick with the Orca

Marc
Old 08-06-2011
Mad Member

I can't fault the shops service. Marc has been top's he even delivered a new speedo to my work as I couldn't get to the shop before the racing. I can't fault the service and follow up at all. Marc just didn't want me to be the unlucky one and kindly gave me the option to change if I so wished.
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
I can't fault the shops service. Marc has been top's he even delivered a new speedo to my work as I couldn't get to the shop before the racing. I can't fault the service and follow up at all. Marc just didn't want me to be the unlucky one and kindly gave me the option to change if I so wished.

I will second that i had problems with my gen 1 orca and Mark got it changed quicker than cheeta on steroids , and i have had no problems with the gen 2 orca its probably the best speedo i have had ,, and i have had a couple ..
Old 08-06-2011

Quote:
get yourself a hobbywing xerun or xtreme stock dependent on class you are running. giantcod.co.uk have them in stock at great prices, as quick as anything else out there...........and cheap!
Old 09-06-2011
Mad Member

Didn't know the motor had been ruled out, thought it had just been a "just try something else" conversation which doesnt really fix the problem.

I stand corrected...
Old 10-06-2011

i would say its the best esc i had for not going wrong and is so easy to setup

as for tuff i run 2wd at my local club (shrccc) and i am up against upto 6.5t and i am running a 13.5t (stock i had from doing tc) and i have put through the esc and motor 99deg (would not advise ) of timing to keep up, motor comes of 45 50'c and have had it like it for 1-2 months with no problem from the esc so far (waiting for a bang for pushing it to far )
it even got me a 4th on the a final grid (didnt keep it because of my driving skills) so all i can say is its bad luck i had it with speedpassion i had 2 new esc beacuse of it and i still love them also