Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > WRCA

Old 08-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Race Meetings at Car Shows

Following on from the posts in the Entry Fees topic, I just wanted to gauge the level of interest in events being held at Car Shows in Wales.

The shows that have been mentioned so far include the Dubs at the Castle (held at Caldicot Castle) and the Leukemia Rally (held at Tredegar Park in Newport)
Sadly it looks like the Welsh Motorsport show at Chepstow Racecourse isn't going to be repeated.

The tracks are inevitably temporary grass affairs (old skool ) but you do have other things going on and they tend to be over a whole weekend.

What does everyone think of these sort of events? Would you want to attend?
Old 08-07-2010

Yes!..Cant have too much practice Good publicity for the club too.
Old 08-07-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I would be tempted to offer my race director skills.....

I do fancy a bit of the old 'Bridgend Model Show' shananigans...
Old 08-07-2010

Thumbs up

defo be up for that sound awesome.
Old 08-07-2010

Not wishing to sound like a dry bread but whilst these things sound good the organisation of one in the current Health and Safety climate that councils insist on could be an absolute nightmare.

An application was made to host a club level event at the Vintage Car Show in Singleton Park, Swansea a few years back. The restrictions and conditions the council wanted to impose were so over the top that it was a non-starter.

Apart from the ott safety equipment they wanted and the like, one of the biggest restrictions was access... all entrants and their 1:1 cars would only be admitted to the track area before 7am on the day and no one could leave until after the whole site was clear of the general public.... as you can imagine there were very few takers under those conditions and it never happened.

I know that the restrictions are dependant on the overall organisers and some are less strict than others but the level of restrictions will have a direct impact on the number of people who will actually commit to attend.
Old 09-07-2010

Sounds very negative of you there doris, have we met before?
As I stated in the other section very good idea, be a shame if it was to be all electric but if it it is no worries, think you need a heat or two of nitro just to attract the crowd from the other side of a noisey show thats all.
Sorry did I mention i'm in.
Old 09-07-2010

Not negative.... realistic. You get 100 people say yep they are up for it then it becomes apparent through the host organizer that for example everyone has to be on site by 7am and can't leave until 8pm and 95 of them drop out.

These were actual stipulations from one host organizer and in today's climate something like that has a good chance of being repeated.
Old 09-07-2010

Having dealt recently with both Local Council and Show Organisers I can appreciate that they can sometimes be difficult.

H&S requirements should never put anyone off running events at shows of this nature, whether they are motor related or more general. Risk assessments and the like are not difficult to complete and implement. Access and exit procedures are normally aimed at public safety and as long as these are addressed and understood at the early stages of discussion problems should be minimised.

From the organisers point of view the whole point of us being invited to be there is to attract the paying public through the gates. From our sports point of view, it raises the profile of our “hobby”, hopefully to attract new participants and for us to have some fun.

For those who are attracted to this type of event and as yet not had the opportunity to attend don’t let any negative (or realistic) comments put you off, they are good fun..
Old 09-07-2010

Having attended quite a few car shows in the last 20 years it is a sad fact these days the individual show and H&S rules can seriously damage attendance of exibitors. Sometimes you do seem to have to be a bit hard-core to attend as an exhibitor if certain arrival/departure rules are in force.

However it is an excellent way of promoting our sport if the hurdles can be overcome, which im sure they could, but you do really have to prepare for it in advance - it cant be a half-arsed thing as thats when it all goes pear-shaped...

I have to say nitro is very good for outdoor shows, as the noise and smell is apparent from the other side of the ground and people naturally wonder over to see whats happening, but electric is has a place there too to show the other side of the sport which can be undertaken indoors also which might appeal to people. With the right advertising it could be great for us all.

Im in
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Was chatting with Mum last night, she knows the organisers of the L-R show at Tredegar Park and has organised shows for full size cars recently and she assures me that in order to put on a show there you would certainly need to under take a H&S risk assesment.

If anyone is seriously interested in setting something up at the L-R show she is more than willing to share her contacts and experiences with you.

I have neither the time and patients to deal with red tape so I am not offering my services. Though I'd be happy to help on the weekend, obviously.
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers Craig, that would be verrrry useful! Will you be at club tonight?

I'm used to dealing with H&S issues as I used to deal with it a lot at work and I just love red tape!

But rather than concentrate on how difficult it may be to organise and those sort of issues, the sort of feedback I'm after is more about whether you all would be interested in attending these sort of events and if so what you would like to get out of the weekend
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Will pop out for a spin.

Didn't mean to sound pesamistic, it's not difficult, just needs someone to commit to doing it, sounds like you are game so,

My name is Craig Harris and I would like to go to a classic car show.... there I've said it
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
Will pop out for a spin.
Bring those red pistons please champy?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Paint View Post
Will pop out for a spin.

Didn't mean to sound pesamistic, it's not difficult, just needs someone to commit to doing it, sounds like you are game so,

My name is Craig Harris and I would like to go to a classic car show.... there I've said it
There, doesn't that feel much better now!
What have I let myself in for?
Old 09-07-2010

Quote:
But rather than concentrate on how difficult it may be to organise and those sort of issues, the sort of feedback I'm after is more about whether you all would be interested in attending these sort of events and if so what you would like to get out of the weekend
Exactly, there are always people who will organize these things even if they are difficult but on occasion there are sometimes restrictions which can deter a number from attending/participating and then the whole event can end up little more than a side show demonstration.....

....and boy do you feel a prat after all the hype when it ends up as just you and two others. Words of experience!!!
Old 09-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorris View Post
Exactly, there are always people who will organize these things even if they are difficult but on occasion there are sometimes restrictions which can deter a number from attending/participating and then the whole event can end up little more than a side show demonstration.....

....and boy do you feel a prat after all the hype when it ends up as just you and two others. Words of experience!!!
Oh I totally agree with you, which is why I want feedback from everyone as to what they want to get out of an event.

Equally, I would expect to share details of any restrictions with everyone up front, so there aren't any surprises. I've been to these sorts of things over the years (not just with RC) and it's amazing how many times these details are only given out on arrival or with only a day or two notice. 99% of the time they turn out to have been available well in advance.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to organise something that no one wants to support for whatever reason
Old 09-07-2010

You would't have BRCA insuarence if you did't comply to the H+s side of things.
Its as much telling the show organizers what we need from it other wise we don't show, simples, their loss.
Old 09-07-2010

I find this topic interesting as being a VW enthusiast I was at the 1981 Malvern VW show(think it was called Bug In then) and saw a few lads with RC Baja Bugs-just driving them round the camping area. Christmas that year saw the arrival of my own Sand Scorcher which resulted in a now near 30 year on and off RC car habit.In the boom years my local club did a lot of school fetes and a quite a few car shows and most proved very enjoyable to race at.Providing H and S hasn't made it unfeaseable I think it's a good thing and would be interested in racing.
Old 09-07-2010

Pete, we have 100% support from all the members at caldi. If people grab the bull by the horns then it can happen and be a huge success. As for h+s, well we all have to live with that every day but its not there to stop us.
Old 11-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks for the support, but we need to know what you want at the meetings - 1 day, 2 day? - just a fun event or a serious competition?
etc etc

Thanks also to those who've supplied more info outside of the forum, all help appreciated