Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 12-10-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

Certainly the RC10 B4 white ones I have on mine seem to work fine. In fact I'd say they are better than the Tamiya ones as I don't need to wind my slipper quite so tight now.
Old 12-10-2008

Alright thanks spoolio. I know for sure that when i replace the slipper kit pads i will be going with the AE b4 pads. I have heard nothing but good things about them. My question is: When i =s a good time to replace them. What should i be looking for that indicates i need to replace the pads?
Old 12-10-2008
Mad Member

I've not had loads of experience with slippers myself but common sense would dictate that if you are getting slip when the spring is fully compressed then its time for a new pair of pads.

This will vary dependant on the surface you run on and motor you use. If you run on a very high grip surface and have a hot motor you will be needing new pads much more than if you run on say loose dirt with a stock silver can 540 (in which case you'll probably never need to replace them).
Old 12-10-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolio View Post
I've not had loads of experience with slippers myself but common sense would dictate that if you are getting slip when the spring is fully compressed then its time for a new pair of pads.

This will vary dependant on the surface you run on and motor you use. If you run on a very high grip surface and have a hot motor you will be needing new pads much more than if you run on say loose dirt with a stock silver can 540 (in which case you'll probably never need to replace them).

Yes, very good point there my friend. I guess wear and tear on most RC parts has to do with what's under the hood.
Now on a different note. Do any of you guy's know where i can get the 501x Diff Halves? As well as some blue anodized ball studs? Thanks as always guy's.
Old 12-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Gee View Post
Yes, very good point there my friend. I guess wear and tear on most RC parts has to do with what's under the hood.
Now on a different note. Do any of you guy's know where i can get the 501x Diff Halves? As well as some blue anodized ball studs? Thanks as always guy's.
You have PM
Old 16-10-2008

Hey guys. Was just wondering if i wasted money purchasing the rear universal shafts? I remember this being discussed in the forum a while back, but too lazy to search for it. Im sure you guys know the problem im talking about. The shafts coming out of the rear diff outdrive cups. How can i solve this issue. Thanks.
Old 16-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Hey guys. Was just wondering if i wasted money purchasing the rear universal shafts? I remember this being discussed in the forum a while back, but too lazy to search for it. Im sure you guys know the problem im talking about. The shafts coming out of the rear diff outdrive cups. How can i solve this issue. Thanks.
I assume you are running the Tamiya Aeration Dampers (part no #54028) yes?

If so, you'll need to disassemle the dampers and put some limiters in there under the pistons to stop the arm drooping down too far. People do have different methods of sorting this but I ran 2 red o-rings and one thin black one. I have concluded that while this is 100% effective at stopping the shaft falling out, it is also too restrictive to the handling. So I've gone back to using the kit dogbones in the rear end. Another solution is to mount the dampers a little higher using custom made extensions on the shock tower, but then you can introduce another problem with up-travel/chassis slap.

Its just a bummer that the front end is fine with the universal shafts but Tamiya couldn't be bothered to design the rear end properly so that it works with them properly too. The problem is that the shafts are 501X items and the rear end geometry does not exactly mirror the 501X hence we get these little "issues". Maybe the upcoming option shaft that was announced a few weeks back will solve it, who knows.
Old 16-10-2008

Quote:
I have no problem running them with kit shocks or 3Racing shocks.

I'm planning to get the original TRF501X shock kits from rcmodel because I read somewhere the shock shaft length is equal to the stock CVA/plastic shocks (to remedy the foreseeable issue).
Old 16-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabolousRC View Post
I have no problem running them with kit shocks or 3Racing shocks.

I'm planning to get the original TRF501X shock kits from rcmodel because I read somewhere the shock shaft length is equal to the stock CVA/plastic shocks (to remedy the foreseeable issue).
CVA shocks are significantly shorter than 501 shocks. 501WE and DB01 shocks are a few mm longer still due to the new shafts.

I now have my 501 (standard shafts) shocks on the DB01 with around 1mm spacing in each one (can't remember exactly), this seems like ample travel to me with the plastic towers.
Old 21-10-2008

Quote:
I assume you are running the Tamiya Aeration Dampers (part no #54028) yes?

If so, you'll need to disassemle the dampers and put some limiters in there under the pistons to stop the arm drooping down too far. People do have different methods of sorting this but I ran 2 red o-rings and one thin black one. I have concluded that while this is 100% effective at stopping the shaft falling out, it is also too restrictive to the handling. So I've gone back to using the kit dogbones in the rear end. Another solution is to mount the dampers a little higher using custom made extensions on the shock tower, but then you can introduce another problem with up-travel/chassis slap.

Its just a bummer that the front end is fine with the universal shafts but Tamiya couldn't be bothered to design the rear end properly so that it works with them properly too. The problem is that the shafts are 501X items and the rear end geometry does not exactly mirror the 501X hence we get these little "issues". Maybe the upcoming option shaft that was announced a few weeks back will solve it, who knows.

Thanks as always my friend. I am a bit disapointed to hear the news on the universals not working properly with the aeration dampers. I guess i should have saved my $20 dollars and used it for something else. I am still gonna try using some o rings like you mentioned, to sort it out. I will let you know how it works out.

I was also wondering if any of you guys have tried on road touring cars. Im thinking about trying something new. My dad is interested in possibly getting into R/C since he's retired and all and has lots of time on his hands. So for his birthday that just passed, i'm going to get him a kit to build. I was looking at some touring cars that look pretty inovative and stuff. Cool looking chassis layouts and all. Im always gonna stick with off road but curious about giving on road a try. The Tamiya TA05 IFS looks pretty sweet and the price on it looks good as well. The TA05 looks very similar to the DB-01 drivetrain. Do any of you guys have any thoughts or advice that you would like to share about on road?
Old 21-10-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

the TA05 is a tank of a car, really robust and handles well, but with all of that style of Tamiya, it takes a few hop-ups to make it work right.... might be worth looking at the TB-03IFS too, Tamiya's latest offering.
Old 21-10-2008
Mad Member

To echo what DCM said, the TA05 is an excellent car, forgiving for new drivers yet also 95% as competitive as everything else on the market at the top end. At my local clubs it is a very popular car because it works in all conditions and is good quality. I used to have an R myself and it went so well for such little expense that it started a bit of a trend.

But don't be deceived into thinking it shares any parts with the DB01 - although the design concepts are similar (equal belts, moulded chassis, compatability with high-end parts), they share no parts outside of basic hardware.
Old 21-10-2008

the '05IFS-R has the same pulleys as the DB-01....
Old 22-10-2008

Hey, thanks guy's once again for your insight. I went ahead and ordered the EBBRO BTEC Maziora TA05 IFS. Like i mentioned before,this kit will be for my dad's B day. I think this kit will be a good introduction into R/C for my paps.
I did notice the new TB03 IFS that you mentioned DCM. I think for myself i will be ordering the second version that is being released on the 1st of November. The second version of this particular chassis has an awesome looking body which is being called the Takata NSX 2008 (58424) I havent built a kit since my Durga, so i will be looking forward to it. Im just hoping that the TB03 will be able to handle BL+Lipo power.
Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

I know this is off-topic but seeing as we have strayed a little anyway I hope no one minds but I have an unused and still in packet Tamiya Ferrari Enzo FXX shell that I bought for my TA05 which I then sold. If anyone wants the shell, they can have it for £12.50 posted to UK (it cost £20 new). I think I'll wander over to the For Sale section and stick it in there too .
Old 23-10-2008

Talking

Quote:
I know this is off-topic but seeing as we have strayed a little anyway I hope no one minds but I have an unused and still in packet Tamiya Ferrari Enzo FXX shell that I bought for my TA05 which I then sold. If anyone wants the shell, they can have it for £12.50 posted to UK (it cost £20 new). I think I'll wander over to the For Sale section and stick it in there too .

Sounds like a good deal. Too bad im all the way over here in Boston. My TA05 shall be arriving sometime next week. I will be looking forward to getting it assembled and all pimped out for the summer.
Old 24-10-2008

According to TamiyaUsa.com
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...ion=&offset=31
the new universals (54118 and 54119) allow wider angles and run 950 bearings.

I've already got plenty of steering lock (and heaps of slop at the extremes ) so not for me, but in case anybody else is interested in the info.
Old 24-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
According to TamiyaUsa.com
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...ion=&offset=31
the new universals (54118 and 54119) allow wider angles and run 950 bearings.

I've already got plenty of steering lock (and heaps of slop at the extremes ) so not for me, but in case anybody else is interested in the info.
Interesting that they also come with a new moulded steering upright. This must also increase the lock. Although the downsize to 950 bearings is a bit of a shame, these will not be as durable as the larger bearings in the standard parts - Tamiya only just removed the 950s from the tourers!
Old 24-10-2008
Mad Member

I have big problems breaking rear axles on my TRF501X They break where the wheel drive pin goes through the axle.. I wonder if this part will be more durable?
Old 24-10-2008

I find the axle bearings take a hammering anyways, so whether they are 9x5 or 10x5 won't show much difference to be honest.