Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 01-11-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default Carpet Tyres

Guys, what is the best treaded tyre for high grip carpet (the grey carpet) for Touring cars.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 01-11-2009

treaded??? slicks and additive, or pins and blocks.
Old 01-11-2009

vtec 27r's are good on carpet
Old 01-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
treaded??? slicks and additive, or pins and blocks.
As stated in the original post treaded. Every car i've seen go on carpet down here in Surrey all have tread on the tyres, slight it may be but treaded none the less. Additive is not allowed at most clubs down here and hardly any use pins, and as I have a TC sitting in my cupboard I may as well use it. So far Nosram vtec 27r's to be good, any other idea on tyres that work well on high grip carpet?
Answer UK team driver
Old 01-11-2009

ig they got a very loose tread, then they are Carpet Dragons from Schumacher.
Old 01-11-2009

I used Sorex 24r's at Langley with a 8.5t motor, and Schumacher Carpet Dragons at Bracknell with a 13.5t motor. I think the Carpet Dragons are equivalent to 22r but not 100% sure. The Carpet Dragons overheated for me at Langley with the faster corners/ more powerful motor, so I went up a rubber grade. Andrew always used Carpet Dragons, but I he is smoother on the throttle, so easier on tires than me. I also use LRP carpet additive otherwise it can get a bit slippery on the first few laps until the tires get up to temperature. I would start with a softer rubber, then if you feel the grip going away towards the end of the race go a bit harder.

Carpet Dragons are kind of treaded, they have the curved lines on the surface. Andrew also sometimes used wet weather asphalt tires. These are treaded in a similar way to the Carpet Dragons, but I think equivalent to 20r's.

Ben
Old 02-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocking Donkey View Post
I used Sorex 24r's at Langley with a 8.5t motor, and Schumacher Carpet Dragons at Bracknell with a 13.5t motor. I think the Carpet Dragons are equivalent to 22r but not 100% sure. The Carpet Dragons overheated for me at Langley with the faster corners/ more powerful motor, so I went up a rubber grade. Andrew always used Carpet Dragons, but I he is smoother on the throttle, so easier on tires than me. I also use LRP carpet additive otherwise it can get a bit slippery on the first few laps until the tires get up to temperature. I would start with a softer rubber, then if you feel the grip going away towards the end of the race go a bit harder.

Carpet Dragons are kind of treaded, they have the curved lines on the surface. Andrew also sometimes used wet weather asphalt tires. These are treaded in a similar way to the Carpet Dragons, but I think equivalent to 20r's.

Ben
Cheers Ben, Andrews car went rather well and I do miss racing against him for pole at Langley. Its a shame its no more, hence why im having to race a TC just to get practice as not many places accept buggies.

Still in January im going to be racing it with a 13.0t motor and will use Carpet Dragons, due to your recommendation so if your there I may need a bit of help in setting it up properly.

Do you know if the other Ben is going to be doing Bracknel as well?
Answer UK team driver
Old 02-11-2009

I think Ben Nash is going to give up on TC racing. He mentioned that he might be moving back into buggys, but not just yet.

Until a few weeks ago Carpet Dragons were the control tire at Bracknell. They have now relaxed that to allow any rubber tires, but no additives, so Carpet Dragons are still the best for there.

Does Lord Roberts have any restrictions on tires/weight/motors? I don't have any of my kit in Surrey with me at the moment, but should be doing some Monday night stuff soon.

Ben
Old 02-11-2009

Ben,

no restrictions at all except no additives. The floor is shiney concrete once a month so whatever rubber you can find that works on that surface and of course carpet the same tyres as bracknel as no additive.

Didnt think ben was into buggies, but should be entertaining on carpet for him, maybe he should come down to lords for a laugh and have another close race with me and you.
Answer UK team driver