Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 03-05-2011

Default Tips needed

Hi guys,

After the all day event I've had enough of the mad rat and looking for something more competative.

I am looking to spend about 300-350 I am looking for a car, motor and speed controller new or used.

What would you recommend or what do you have you might want to sell.

Also I have the pulse dhss 2.4 radio gear which kept cutting out on the day and it would seem to be the reciever does anyone know any other reciever that can be used with it?
Old 03-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Hi

Car - Cougar SV pro £140 2nd hand
Motor - HPI or ORCA £50 for HPI
ESC - Speed Passion LPF £80 ish maybe 2nd hand
LIPOs - IB £45 new
Savox 1258/7 servo £35 second hand

Get a 2nd hand Futaba 3vc with spektrum radio etc if you can.

That would be my current pick. I know others will say Losi 22, b4.1 and so forth.

Lots of SVs for sale at present. Would not go for a 22 if you're new to the sport.
Old 03-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseace View Post
Hi guys,

After the all day event I've had enough of the mad rat and looking for something more competative.

I am looking to spend about 300-350 I am looking for a car, motor and speed controller new or used.

Also I have the pulse dhss 2.4 radio gear which kept cutting out on the day and it would seem to be the reciever does anyone know any other reciever that can be used with it?
the pulse and core radio gear which is the same i think you will find both of problems with recievers common fault with them your not the first to have one go wrong. as far as a new car goes like mike said a sv pro is a good bet but a b4.1 is also a good car lots of people at the club run both of these so allways plenty of set up help and spares kicking about if you do break it i would keep a eye on ebay and oOple for a car and radio gear nosram do good speedos and speed passion do good gear as well if you want to go 4wd then there are plenty of sx2 for sale great car ive seen them go 4 under 100 quid and with the sx3 about to come out there will b alot for sale
Old 04-05-2011

If you check out model sport they have got some great deals on at the moment, buy a kit so you learn how it all works as I this
has helped me check out the futaba 2.4 radio gear 190 quid just make sure esc is compatable with the motor you want to run.
I agree with mikey and martin the couger sv is very nice and loads of people run them at torch
Also speak to Simon at rc lazy they could do a deal on a orca esc and motor to suit.
p.s don't get something to fast otherwise I won't be able to keep up!!!!
I look forward to racing u in a couple of weeks
Old 04-05-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Yep, I'd suggest a cougar.

You'll def have to buy used with that sort of budget.
Old 05-05-2011

cougar it will be i think now just to find one, if anyone at the club has one for sale let me know

thanks guys for all the help

what do you think of this motor and esc kit???

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/OQS750SC.html
Old 05-05-2011

Quote:
cougar it will be i think now just to find one, if anyone at the club has one for sale let me know

I'm running the 8.5 version in my cat, seems pretty quick and smooth! I hav e the programming card which helps if not it's count the coloured LEDs!

Good buy I'd say
Old 05-05-2011

Quote:

Looks to quick Adam !!!!!!!!

Build it, brake it, make it, Race it.
SX2
B4.1
Cougar sv2
RC10 Gold tub
Old 05-05-2011

I have an X6 Squared with titanium turnbuckles, e-speed hangers and losi shocks, longer rear axils, with some NIP B4 spares for the front end. Seems to be popular, some people trying the cougar and changing back to the X6. I'm going to stick with 4WD so would take £100. PM if interested.
Old 05-05-2011

Quote:
Hi guys,

Adam

The madrat will be competitive enough if a little more work is spent on set-up, I really think just investing all your money in electrics will add value/enjoyment to your racing.

ideas:

Speed Passion or LRP speedo, 120 - 150
Speed Passion Motor V3 or Orca - 55 - 75
Savox Servo 45 - 55
Sanwa or Ko Radio - second hand 100 - 150 inc 2.4 setup
Lipos?
Charger?

Many options, but I think dont spend too much on electrics or too little and do not buy second hand, unless you know who your buying from?

What I'm saying is, you can buy great combi motor and speedo set ups, but will not stand the test of time. Dont go buy £250 eg, GM speedos, as your never benefit from it and curse it when it goes wrong. Also bear in what the majority at the club are using, as totally strange equipment will only make things more isolated for you. Follow the majority is safe. I guess most will recommend Speed Passion.

Also,

I have a great condition Cat SX/SX2, with spares, £95, well worth it, but u have a car which can give you results at your ability at present, always invest in electrics first.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 05-05-2011

I'd agree re the electrics as it's the one thing you def need reliable and of course can take it with you to the next car.

I'm currently running SP LPF ESC with an ORCA motor - very good. Had Nosram, Orion & Vampire racing LIPOs again no issues.

I've been fortunate not to have electrical issues, but I believe it's because I bought the best I could afford. Some of my electrics is still the stuff I had back in 2009 when I came back to the sport with a B4.

Also heard great things re the HPI motors, but I'd still stick with the SP ESCs. Have a chat with RC Lazy etc.

Plenty of cars coming up for sale at TORCH. Cat SX, cammers X6 & I'm sure more. Benefit is you can look at them before deciding etc.
Old 05-05-2011

thanks guys i understand what your saying spend the money on the internals as they are the best investment and as you say can be moved onto the next car if you out grow it.

I have Lipos and Charger i will sell on the Pulse then i think shortly as you say for somthing better.

Servo is sorted for the time being going to loan a good one

I was thinking of buying the below, RC Lazy i will buy from you if you can match the pricing if you think it is worth while.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-pa...products/36832

http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/SP13855V3.html

Also i can not make this weekend but would one of you take my little car for a spin and give me any advise on set up??

Cheers for this guys i just want to spend the money on the correct things to get the car upto standard
Old 06-05-2011

If Schumacher have it in stock we can get it for very quickly and we can match the price tag.

We do have the excellent ORCA speedo in stock which I feel (having both speedos in my race cars) is the better bet. But that's just my opinion.

Give us a call in the shop and we can sort it for you.

Mark
Old 06-05-2011

will do mark thanks
Old 08-05-2011

Thanks for all your help, new motor and esc done mark I will take the servo as well but will email you also. No new car yet still thinking I am not up today but will be up next week so will chat to all the guys with cars for sale and see what is up.

Cheers again guys great help looking foward to next week
Old 08-05-2011
Mad Member

If your limited in funds after your new esc/motor purchase and still want a new car then a B4 FT is always a good choice. You can get them really cheap on here now and there still a very good car.

you've also got the added bonus that everyone and his dog has had one a some point so you'll be able to get good reliable setup advice which is something you may be missing with your madrat.

Re radio, then this, in my opinion is you most important bit of kit. Alot of people think I want a car as fast as possible and go all out getting the best esc, motor and cells ect, but then fail to get a decent radio. It's no good having a fast car that you can't control.

I would go for either a KO, Futaba, Sanwa/Airtronic, or Spektrum radio. You can get some good second hand deals and buy the best one you can afford.

By the way what speedo/motor/servo did you get. I'm sure the RC Lazy boys pointed you in the right direction.
Old 08-05-2011

it got the below i think its good.....

OBS180M2 - ORCA VRITRA VC4 PRO MK2 BRUSHLESS ESC WITH SETUP CARD - 5.5T LIMIT

SAV-SC1258 - SAVOX SC-1258 STANDARD SIZE CORELESS DIGITAL SERVO

Trinity Motors D3 Turn Modified (Duo3) – TEP1069

i hope to have it fitted to the madrat for sunday racing next week

thanks
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
it got the below i think its good.....

OBS180M2 - ORCA VRITRA VC4 PRO MK2 BRUSHLESS ESC WITH SETUP CARD - 5.5T LIMIT

SAV-SC1258 - SAVOX SC-1258 STANDARD SIZE CORELESS DIGITAL SERVO

Trinity Motors D3 Turn Modified (Duo3) – TEP1069

i hope to have it fitted to the madrat for sunday racing next week

thanks

Very nice, good kit there.
Is your madrat transmission standard, as I understand there are some uprated parts for quicker motors.
Old 08-05-2011

is this what you mean mikey?

http://www.tcmodels.net/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=71
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy9002 View Post
Essentially yes, but not sure on the parts etc. Faster motor, more load on the gearbox. Post question in madrat section for a better answer