Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 07-07-2012
Super Moderator

Default SILVERSTONE F1 QUALIFYING

I cannot believe that I am sat in Burnley in 23 degrees of heat and sunshine in my shorts and T shirt watching Silverstone being red flagged due to the heavy rain???

What is going on with the British weather??

Didn't the Chinese move the rain on when they had the Olympics, can't we do that???

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 07-07-2012

I can't believe the most elite drivers are complaining about the water. Ive'd raced my gearbox kart which does 130mph around Silverstone before in that weather with wets which dont displace as much water as there's do, with no where near as much down force (we have spoilers on the Gearbox karts which do generate down force)
Old 07-07-2012
Super Moderator

To be fair they were all spinning off, I think its to do with the planks they have to run on the floors, that said, they could raise the ride height?? couple of turns on the threaded shocks - LOL

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 07-07-2012
Mad Member

I think you had to be there to understand how bad its was.

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 07-07-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karting View Post
I can't believe the most elite drivers are complaining about the water. Ive'd raced my gearbox kart which does 130mph around Silverstone before in that weather with wets which dont displace as much water as there's do, with no where near as much down force (we have spoilers on the Gearbox karts which do generate down force)
I race Rotax, and i can honestly say, your comparing apples and oranges on that one, two very different animals mate, and i think every F1 driver will consider his safety first, the days of handlebar moustaches, white scarfs and a Marlboro on the podium are long gone!

lee
Old 07-07-2012

Lets just hope its fine or lighter rain for the race
Old 07-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit5005 View Post
Lets just hope its fine or lighter rain for the race
Me too!!! A day off racing to watch it... (if I wasn't ill I would be racing though)

Sam
Old 08-07-2012
Mad Member

Lightbulb

Interesting session I must say.

Let me start with my German drivers
Little dissapointed with schumacher also dissapointed with Vettel, Red bull have been having a lot of strategy problems, on the other hand,Mark webber did very good.The problem with Vettel is that after winning those championships he has laid back a bit,you don't see him in the garage as much before/night before the race taking to engineers etc. But holy moly that red bull paint scheme looks epic!!,I think they done it to raise money for charity or something like that.It looks brilliant !!.

Senna was so determined he spend all night talking to engineers in his garage,and he got up early too just to speak to managers/set the car up perfectly.You just don't see that with these new breed of young drivers.

Anyway,back to today's session.
Fernado drove brilliantly!,Ferrari have really made a beautiful car this year,it corners perfectly and has the straight line speed,(not as much as lotus) but still quite bit, Fernado seems like a more 'happy and motivated' person this year,that also helps I suppose!.

Hamilton good as ever,Mclaren have got just about all the upgrades on that thing!.Jenson has been doing very poor for the last couple of races , Mclaren can't really figure it out,as Hamilton and button have THE SAME car/setup , at the end of the day it comes down to driver OR one other possible outcome could be engine tune ? Mclaren reported some engine problems and they needed a change some time back ,so might be that?.

Can anyone undertand Lotus? ,cause I'm having a hard time trying to figure why they are doing so crab!?,they have the straight line speed,they have the corners.Not to sure on Romaen,don't think he can handle a difficult situation.He panics (like in Monaco,when he crashed into schumacher ).

I do hope the FIA consider plans for the London street circuit,cause silverstone sucks !,it's such a boring track almost like the Abu dhabi track .

Enjoy the race .
Old 08-07-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karting View Post
Am I reading this right? You've raced a kart in some lower-formula championship at speeds more than 40% lower in both straight-line and cornering terms; you're a part-time amateur RC car racer and you're telling me you know what driving an F1 car in the rain is like? Better yet you are telling me from the comfort of your armchair while guys earning more in a year than your talent will get you in a lifetime are risking their necks?

When you've driven a car that does 0-160-0 in less than ten seconds, does 180 - 60 in less than 80 metres (try braking from 100 inside the 100yd board at the next roundabout. Text the hospital you're in and we'll send grapes) and requires you to go to the edge of its handling for 90 minutes to win a race, and perhaps you might have a point. Otherwise, I am (less politely) with Ralphee...
Old 08-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Am I reading this right? You've raced a kart in some lower-formula championship at speeds more than 40% lower in both straight-line and cornering terms; you're a part-time amateur RC car racer and you're telling me you know what driving an F1 car in the rain is like? Better yet you are telling me from the comfort of your armchair while guys earning more in a year than your talent will get you in a lifetime are risking their necks?

When you've driven a car that does 0-160-0 in less than ten seconds, does 180 - 60 in less than 80 metres (try braking from 100 inside the 100yd board at the next roundabout. Text the hospital you're in and we'll send grapes) and requires you to go to the edge of its handling for 90 minutes to win a race, and perhaps you might have a point. Otherwise, I am (less politely) with Ralphee...
I have to agree that my comment wasn't quite the best at the time. sure my old 250national isn't as fast as the F1 cars. but I still don't understand why they had to wait for the track to dry up so much that they were umming and arring about using inters. these are the elite and if they had gone with a wet proper wet setup instead of a dry setup for race day the cars would of been better suited to the conditions.

and just for the ill informed on Superkarts here is some information.

Powered by a 2-stroke 250*cc engine producing 95 hp (71*kW) for an overall weight including the driver of 215 kilograms, Superkarts have a power/weight ratio of 440*hp/tonne (330 W/kg)(c.5*lbs/hp). Superkarts can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3*seconds with a top speed of 155*mph (250*km/h).[8] Their low weight and good downforce make for excellent cornering[9] and braking abilities.[10] A Superkart is capable of braking from 100*mph (160*km/h) to standstill in around 2*seconds, and taking corners at nearly 3 g (30*m/s²).[11]

At some circuits, Superkarts are the outright lap-record holders,[12] at others they run at around Formula 3 lap times.[citation needed]

but yes my comment wasn't the best thought out at the time
Old 08-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Plain facts are while your cart may handle the rain an F1 cant if its excessive. Also if you consider the amount of water as you stated they can displace it just makes visability for following cars nil. Coulthard-Schumacher.
Old 08-07-2012
Mad Member

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! WEBBER 1ST!!,VETTEL 3RD!! GO RED BULL