Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 05-09-2011

Default Associated B44 & Caster S10b lacking punch?

Hello all,

I may be missing something here so any advice would be appreciated.

The B44 parts have finally appeared in the post and it is now built and ready to go - however when I push the throttle forward, they both (including the caster) seem not to lurch forward as powerfully as I have seen other cars - as if the Diffs are undergoing too much force and are spinning internally. There is no wheel spin.

As such, I'm not sure if this means the diffs (or slipper) are too loose - or just knackered.

The B44 also pulls to the right initially on full punch, as well as the pinion and spur not seeming to be ideally matched on the B44, part of the rotation is smooth, part is noisy.

Technical info:
B44
13.5T brushless motor, 35a ESC

S10b
8.5T brushless motor, 60a ESC

Any help, suggestions or links to guides to sort this kind of this would be appreciated
Old 05-09-2011
Mad Member

Probably slipping diffs and/or slipper clutch.

The basic test is to hold the spur gear and one wheel on an axle still* and then try and turn the opposite wheel. It should take a decent amount of effort to "slip" the wheel, and it should be the slipper that slips first.

Adjust/rebuild according to the manual if either slips easily.

The diffs should also have a smooth but not free-spinning action, and the front diff on a 4wd should be set a little tighter than the rear.

The slipper in a 4wd is basically only needed to protect the drivetrain, traction and wheelying is not an issue.

*needs a bit of contortion but can usually be managed with a thumb on the spur and a hand/arm/body gripping the wheel
Old 05-09-2011

B44
Left rear offers less resistance than the right and not much effort required, front is definitely tighter and requires a fair amount of force

Caster
Very little resistance on all 4 wheels

I'm a bit lost with the "slipper" mind, I'm assuming that's part of the individual diffs.

I'm assuming therefore that I need to remove the diffs from both and is that's when I need to tighten a screw within the diff that sandwiches it all together?

If so, how tight? (racing on carpet and polished floor)
Old 05-09-2011
Mad Member

The slipper is the slipper clutch.

If one wheel is harder to turn than the one on the opposite side, it is probably a failed bearing or another mechanical problem on that side.

Do you have the manuals? I'd suggest reading them.