Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 07-09-2011

Default Are-2 steering

I just got and built an ARE-2 for a bit of a bash about (until I get used to driving these things again).

Problem is however, the steering appears to suck really badly? It's quite hard to turn, when I loosened bits up, then it would turn with more ease, however overall, it barely turns at all. Turning Circle of a large boat kind of thing

Is this normal?
Old 11-09-2011

I've just built one and will be driving it for the first time on Tuesday night. I'll let you know how I get on with my steering.
Did you have a binding in the suspension arms and ball joints?
Old 11-09-2011

the ARE-1 & the Master-Smacker i had/have have similar steering problems, which i corrected by moving the servo horn a couple of splines back from centre & if possible, swap the pivot ball for a shallow one as the one i had fitted (as per the manual) was shouldered which did foul on the top deck on the Master Smacker which seems to have the same arrangement for steering as the ARE-2.
Old 11-09-2011

If you use to long a screws on the alloy brace it can foul the steering linkage.
The ball studs can be tight, try some silicone spray. Do you have the ball stud in the right holes on the steering arms?
I lubed all the pivots on the servo saver and it seems to move pretty good with plenty of turning circle.
I'll find out on Tuesday how it performs.
Old 14-09-2011

Ran mine for the first time last night. My first time racing touring cars indoors so crashed a bit. One of the ball studs popped off and the drive shaft came out which was a pain to put back together and then it did it on the front as well ( I should crash less) so I put a washer under the ball stud screws and this stopped them popping off again.
I had a fast servo on mine which made it a bit twitchy so I'm changing to a slower servo.
The rear diff is REALLY noisy but I'm not stripping it down again just yet.

So, no steering issues, if anything, I had to much, some massive traction roll barrel rolls down the track keep the marshals entertained.