Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 19-11-2009

Send a message via MSN to BRS
Default So Chargers for twin pack Lipos

Right I have bought a Caster Truggy for the son for christmas, I have Lipo's on their way (bloody hope so anyway).

The truggy will run on 2 x 1/10th packs (7.4v 5000mah 40c), what chargers are available preferably that will charge both packs at once from 12v outdoors or 240v at home?

I do have a good Prolux charger that I use for my nitro rx packs that will charge Lipos but if he comes racing with me need someway to charge him between heats.

Thanks
Old 19-11-2009

this a good charger I use one now core rc,not sure about charging 2 at once

this one does though

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-8S-20A-350W

http://www.jespares.com/radio-contro...-balancer.html

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 19-11-2009

Any charger capable of 4S or greater operation will charge two packs, it just depends on how much soldering you want to do.

Bear in mind that many chargers will do 6S, but the current that they'll put out will be significantly lowered, as they will probably only have a low power rating (~50W).

Better choices would be:
A FusionRC L120 Pro. Capable of 12S charging, with 180W, this'll charge your packs with no problem. In fact, you could charge up to 6 2S packs on there at once (though the wiring would be messy). As it uses two balance boards, all you'd need is an adapter lead for the main power leads - easy enough.

A Hyperion EOS0615I DUO III. This has two completely individual charging ports, each capable of 6S and 15A. They have a 180W limit EACH!

An iCharger 106B+. This is probably the best bet for what you need it to do for the money. The iCharger's balance boards are ready to accept more than one balance connector, so all you need to do is make a series lead up for the batteries' main leads. This is capable of 6S and 10A, but most importantly, of 250W max of charging power. Your charging time won't be affected by the voltage, unlike on many cheaper chargers. I have the 'big brother' of this charger (the 208B that JonyNitro linked to) and it is very simple to use, effective and the firmware can be updated on the computer.
Old 24-11-2009

Thanks for the info guys..

Marvin I'm looking at that iCharger 106B+ and scratching my head a little. Looks like its not available here in the UK? Also it doesnt come with any balance board, Amain list them and I'm wondering just what I'll need. It appears you get one port per "S" count type on the board so will I need an adapter with a 4S plug to go in the balance board that splits to two 2S female connectors to connect to the batteries?
And also any idea what balance plug fitting the Interllect cells come?
Hmmmm

Is this balancing job that important LOL.....
Old 24-11-2009

Yes, it is very important, also, it will come with a JST-XH balance board, though others are available.

Oh, and yes it is available in the UK. It's just a lot cheaper abroad.

Intellect cells use JST-XH (I'm pretty sure), and to use that in the end of the charger, just put one balance plug in the '2S' port, and one in the '3S' port (which may require a little trimming of the balance connector). It has the +ve and -ve ends marked, so match the wires to that.

This will work, but is not perhaps ideal.

Alternatively, get one of these and two of these, and solder up a harness following this guide (just follow use the drop-down box and select 2s + 2s: Lipo with typical connector).
Old 25-11-2009

I thought I read in the 106B+ manual a balance board it optional? It matters not though as I've ordered those leads and I'll make up a set that can be plugged directly into the charger, much prefered to me as the cells dont have to be removed from the car either then with long balance leads.

Again thanks alot for the help and advice Marvin
Old 25-11-2009

Sorry, forgot to clarify first line - it's an inbuilt balance board, and others are available (they plug into the 6S port).
Old 09-12-2009

My iCharger 106B+ arrived at last yesturday from Amain after being spanked £22.38 duty £8 of that parcel force fee!! DOH

Oh well, made up a harness as per the diagram on that site Marvin (2s + 2s: Lipo with typical connector) and all seemed well. As the manual is on a disc I had to wing it and it seems fairly straight forward.

It charged the two stick pack lipos in balance mode I set the rate to 10amp (2 x 5000mah packs did I do right?). It put in about 3000mah in total into these new Interllect packs all good. It did however take along time to balance them up maybe an extra 30min showing 1 cell that was down over the other something like 4.20v 4.20v 4.20v 4.17v. Is that normal to happen it did get upto 4.19v before I had to call it a night and swith it off?

Otherwise seems like a nice bit of kit and pretty small too.

Old 09-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRS View Post
It did however take along time to balance them up maybe an extra 30min showing 1 cell that was down over the other something like 4.20v 4.20v 4.20v 4.17v. Is that normal to happen it did get upto 4.19v before I had to call it a night and swith it off?
LOL ya sometimes my chargers and batteries will take forever to get that last .05 of a volt balance out of a cell on a pack. I also just shut it off if its close like that and i'm in a rush.
Old 09-12-2009

It's not the charger, that'll be one of the cells has gone a bit out of balance while sitting around for ages - it's nothing to worry about. After a few cycles, they should only require a little balancing at the end.
Old 09-12-2009

All good then thanks again, so should I be charging at 10amps with 2 5000mah packs ?

Any guide lines I should be aware of?

cheers

Sam
Old 09-12-2009
Mad Member

Cellpro 10s is the 2 pack daddy out of the box

http://www.aurorra.co.uk/aurv2/produ....php?id=11&cat=

if you want to talk about LiPo charging or anything else on the site you can call Mike (the proffessor) until 10pm Tel: +44 (0)114 257 0401 (08:00 - 22:00 Mon - Sat)

oh & be as stupid as you like, i wont hold it against you!
Old 09-12-2009

Is it? Excuse my stupidity but both this and this are superior.
Old 10-12-2009

Now now we digress.....

should I be charging at 10amps with 2 5000mah packs ?

Any guide lines I should be aware of?
Old 10-12-2009

No, not with the Intellects, unless they are 2C charge rated (but I don't know).

If you followed that diagram, you should be charging on the 4S setting at 5A, unless the charge rate is 2C, at which point you can safely charge at 2C..
Old 11-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
No, not with the Intellects, unless they are 2C charge rated (but I don't know).

If you followed that diagram, you should be charging on the 4S setting at 5A, unless the charge rate is 2C, at which point you can safely charge at 2C..

Ok 4S at 5A understud..... what does this 2C biz refer too? Sorry I really dont know about this stuff. I'm getting up to speed though...
Old 11-12-2009

Take the pack's capacity (5000mAh), and divide by 1000, to get the pack's capacity in Ah (5Ah).

A 1C discharge or charge rate would therefore be 5A.

The capacity states that for the pack to (dis)charge in exactly 1 hour, the (dis)charge rate must be 5A.

Therefore, the 1C rating means that the maximum current input that the pack can sustain is 5A. 2C would mean that the maximum current input that the pack can sustain is 10A.

This is the same 'C' as used for the discharge rates, but as discharge tends to be a little more spasmodic, you can have a continuous and burst rating, continuous being where the pack can sustain that level of discharge continuously, whilst the burst is where the pack can sustain that level of discharge for a limited time (usually between 15 and 30 seconds).

Also, a LiPo pack can (obviously) discharge at a higher rate than it can be charged (it can convert chemical energy into electrical energy faster than it can convert electrical energy into chemical energy).
Old 11-12-2009
Mad Member

This one will do two at once and I would consider it if I was looking. I've seen some good reviews I think but it comes at a price

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=7299
Old 11-12-2009

Not at that price though! Specs aren't that great either.

The Logic RC that I linked to earlier is far better - higher charge rates, higher power, and cheaper.