Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 23-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
The outdoor 10th buggy track will be OK for club/regional events
I went down to have a look yesterday and if you mean that thing they have built just outside the entrance then the off road track is not useable to race on. Not for 1/10th anyway and is no where big enough to race nitro. I was very dissapointed to be honest unless there is another offroad track somewhere?

Indoor tarmac track looked the biz though and all in all a great facility. Just not for offroad unfortunatly.
Old 23-08-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle5 View Post
I went down to have a look yesterday and if you mean that thing they have built just outside the entrance then the off road track is not useable to race on. Not for 1/10th anyway and is no where big enough to race nitro. I was very dissapointed to be honest unless there is another offroad track somewhere?
Correct, the offroad track is nowhere near large/good enough to race on even at club level. It's a shame they haven't invested a larger portion of the money on the most popular class, would have been an awful lot cheaper to have filled the place with clay and have a world class off-road facility than have a (they say) world class tarmac track that will probably be a "car free" zone for most of it's life
Old 23-08-2010

What was the ‘rock and rubble canyon’, World War Two diorama (mini landscape) for tank battles, dedicated RC helicopter and aviation zones and RC dragsters like?
Old 23-08-2010

From the reports I got there was plenty of people coming in from the btcc event
there will be plenty of advertising going on once everything is in place
Old 23-08-2010

I went along and raced yesterday and all in all had a great day.

For sure, on the marketing side it was a bit light and if they hope to get passing trade from people viewing the full scale events then a hole needs to be put in the fencing behind the arena, I think at least.

Had a great day and will be back soon, just hope the track design becomes a little more Touring car friendly!
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotussmart View Post
What was the ‘rock and rubble canyon’, World War Two diorama (mini landscape) for tank battles, dedicated RC helicopter and aviation zones and RC dragsters like?
I think you know exactly what they were like, and to be honest I think that question is a bit sly. Asking about everything that haven't yet got finalised.

Once you know what Moto Arena is about and realise that only 5-10% of their revenue needs to come from RC then you might, just might not get too jealous in your questioning.

Tel
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
I think you know exactly what they were like, and to be honest I think that question is a bit sly. Asking about everything that haven't yet got finalised.

Once you know what Moto Arena is about and realise that only 5-10% of their revenue needs to come from RC then you might, just might not get too jealous in your questioning.

Tel
Hi Tel, interesting you should say that :-) I have no plans for Tank battles, RC dragsters (all sound great fun though) and all on their current website. I didn't know they hadn't been completed as there isn't a lot of info flowing or pictures and I thought with it being the press and open day it would have been completed. I was trying to add to this conversation that it isn't all about RC racing, look at the other fun stuff they have/are going to have.

That's all. :-)
Old 23-08-2010

From what I understand, yesterday was not the launch day we were expecting. Although it was open to the public, it was just a MK club meeting as far as I could make out. Somewhere there was a cock-up.

As for the facilities, fantastic indoor circuit, disappointing outdoors!
Sorry, but the off-road track is very un-impressive and the on-road circuit is too narrow/twisty.

My advice would be, get some advice from the BRCA and get the outdoor stuff right before it's too late!

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 23-08-2010

I think some people do not appreciate that we (MKRCTC) are for all intents and purposes, a "tenant" of Moto-Arena.

It was our first open meeting as for the previous 2 weekends we have been running meetings for club members only. We wern't allowed to have non-members participate beforehand as there was still construction work going on until Thursday, and the Moto-Arena centre only opened on Friday to the public.

I understand that Moto-Arena is starting up it's own club (MADC) and are holding an open meeting this Sunday but I have scant details of this at the moment (times / classes / fees etc) as it doesn't fall under the banner of MKRCTC.

Having said that, I am planning to meet up with Moto-Arena this week to sort out respective calendars for the rest of the year as there is little value in MKRCTC and MADC holding (electric) meetings that clash, although MADC holding a nitro meeting at the same time would work.
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
You need to be very carefully in your statement. MA do not have an official working their under the. BRCA.
He is soley working as a MA official.
He was wearing a "BRCA official" fleece. The assumption was therefore fairly made.
Old 23-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond001 View Post
He was wearing a "BRCA official" fleece. The assumption was therefore fairly made.
So the the guy in the oakley t shirt was eye protection?

Alan is a section officer for bikes. He is not there as a brca appointed official for MA.
Old 23-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
So the the guy in the oakley t shirt was eye protection?

Alan is a section officer for bikes. He is not there as a brca appointed official for MA.
Hardly a fair comparison. If someone is standing around acting like an official, in a jacket that says 'Official' then you are likely to consider that they might be an official!
OK, so you know him, and you know that whilst he is a BRCA official, he was not acting as one on the day, but thats hardly clear if you don't know him is it?

Perhaps it should be suggested that BRCA officers don't wear 'official' marked clothing unless they are actually acting as an official - in much the same way a police officer isn't supposed to wear his uniform to nip down to Tescos for the weekly shop........

Edit - BYW I fully understand your point though. I get that the BRCA as a whole is not endorsing, specifically supporting etc Moto Arena. But this is not always clear as it seems some members of the organisation, who are privately involved (ie not through the BRCA) are touting their BRCA credentials as some sort of 'approval'

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 23-08-2010
Mad Member

When giving the briefing on the day, Alan was not wearing a BRCA jacket, and he said quite clearly (to my ears) that he was working for MA, and briefing as he was responsible for the venue. I really do not understand why people do not listen to what was said, and make stuff up for themselves!

Whilst the comments above are all valid if you are looking at this venture as something for RC drivers, they are not valid in the context of the business model for the venture. They did not set out to provide us with a good facility, they set out to provide ordinary members of the public, schools, colleges and companies with a flavour of what RC can do, and introduce people to engineering and racing and teamworking.

There were four or five people on a newcomers ticket learning to drive with the Ansmann cars on the outdoor track. The MA staff were skilled and patient, and there were smiles all round on the rostrum. The outdoor track was the right size and shape to help them learn the skills of RC driving, and a couple of them were on their second visit and doing well! Once they hook up their shop, there were sales in the offing!

Get over the fact that it is not built for us, and get into the idea that if we'd like to have more drivers in RC, here is a business that will identify them, and wouldn't mind our help to teach and nurture them. Look on it as an opportunity to go there and put something back into the sport so that the sport can be there for you, and you'll find it's an excellent facility built with superb attention to detail and ideally suited to its aims. Look on it as an Rc facility built for us and you'll be disappointed - as some of you clearly are!
Old 23-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have read this with interest, and there is a conflict going on here.

On one hand, they are advertising as a 'world class' arena, so when they hold 'race meetings' they must act like one also, as that will bring in revenue in the 'bums on seat', which will buy stuff from the cafe, if they bring family, on the attractions, and most of all, the on-site shop.

On the other hand, they also want to be an 'attraction' also, so people can come and try with very little outlay, and corporate events.

Now, the both can work together very well indeed, but they must also remember to not piss the one off to make the other happy to.

I do hope though, that this venture works, as it will draw in lots of new blood to the sport.
Old 23-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post

Whilst the comments above are all valid if you are looking at this venture as something for RC drivers, they are not valid in the context of the business model for the venture. They did not set out to provide us with a good facility, they set out to provide ordinary members of the public, schools, colleges and companies with a flavour of what RC can do, and introduce people to engineering and racing and teamworking.
I don't see why these two needs should conflict. There's no reason why a top-class outdoor on and off-road circuit would not appeal to the public, schools, etc, is there?
They did a fine job of the indoor track. What happened when they went outside?
Old 23-08-2010

The idea of Moto Arena is quite an interesting one and given time to develop will hopefully work well.
The average club track is used what 2 days of the week? So the MA people need to fill the other 5 with something that's going to bring in the money and repay them for their investment of what is obviously a lot of money.

The problem now is there's two different interests at stake.
There's us who already know what our hobby is all about and just want somewhere to race on a Sunday and there's everyone else who has heard of RC Racing but never quite got round to going to their local club and seeing what it's all about.

Silverstone is naturally busy most weekends with those kind of people who are the ones that will get the bug fairly easily and therefore Moto Arena is quite fortunate in being where it is. From the circuit to MA is all of 100yrds so attracting the visitors shouldn't be too hard as long as there's something to do when they walk in the door. If it's an outdoor track that's too narrow or an off road track that's not long enough they won't mind as long as they can pick up a transmitter and drive something that they wouldn't normally have a chance of doing without spending a reasonable amount of cash.

Weekdays are no doubt a hive of activity out on the circuit too with either the driving schools or track days in action so again interest parties shouldn't be too hard to find and as I no doubt suspect Silverstone themselves are going to promote Moto Arena heavily in race day programmes, which lets be honest any club would go to the ends of the earth for, so you can see why things are being been done in the way they have so far rather than the same as any other club on any other Sunday up and down the country.

Grant (MA's MD) came over and spoke to us yesterday afternoon and he certainly came over a as a genuine person and was very appologetic about his man on the door first thing who perhaps could have chosen better words.
Never the less he did explain a compulsary Health and Safety walk round needed to be carried out before anyone could enter and what with a couple of other issues there was a small delay in the doors being opened.

As time goes by I expect they will see what most on here a bickering about and that's to be expected. Our own clubs a grown to what they are now over a number of years and for MA to start from scratch is no small undertaking. They have given us a superb indoor track with outstanding facilities and once Silverstone see the light and realise what we have all known for years; That RC-Racing is full of hundreds of racers who could never afford to race big cars they will hopefully loosen Moto Arena's reigns and give them the the room to expand to give us what we all desire.

You see, in 5 years time it will be just like the big circuit. Corporate Track Days and RC Driving/Flying schools weekdays and race meetings at the weekend.

from me.

Now if only I could get Brands to do something similar....
Old 24-08-2010

This looks fantastic,it`s something nearly all of us would love to do or have something to do with.
There are bound to be many teething problems,but they look like they are in it for the long haul,best of luck to the organisers and all involved

Don`t forget to support your local clubs though
Old 24-08-2010

This weekend for owner drivers all tracks are free!
All day saturday,from 2pm onwards on sunday and all day bank hol monday. The only time people might not be allowed on track is if a lot of arrive and drive people(hirers) turn up,but even then it will only be 1 track and short periods of time.
Cars,bikes trucks....leccy or nitro welcome.

Why not come along and see the place for yourself,instead of reading about it!
Old 24-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
This weekend for owner drivers all tracks are free!
All day saturday,from 2pm onwards on sunday and all day bank hol monday. The only time people might not be allowed on track is if a lot of arrive and drive people(hirers) turn up,but even then it will only be 1 track and short periods of time.
Cars,bikes trucks....leccy or nitro welcome.

Why not come along and see the place for yourself,instead of reading about it!
Have you got a 1/10 off road track with an AMB compatable timing system?
Old 24-08-2010

The outdoor off road track has no timing system.