Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Trade Room > Wanted

Old 10-06-2010

Smile Appeal for RC parts for a children's project

Dear oOple community,

Many of you will know that I am a secondary school science teacher in an inner-city comprehensive school in Central London (www.sccs.camden.sch.uk)

In July, I am leading a one-week project for 20 students from ages 12-15 to design, build and race radio race cars.

The aim is for the students to build 5 cars of their own design from used components. Then, they will race them around the school quad on the last day of term in mid-July.

The majority of the boys and girls are from very disadvantaged backgrounds, and few have yet had any experience with RC cars or equipment.

Though they will run "mildly off road", the cars will likely be of quite simple design depending on the donor bits we're able to collect together. I'm hoping to scrounge up drive train components from bits of old buggys or road cars - I've got a couple of old falcons to cannibalise for starters.

At the moment, I have enough radio txs and rxs for the 5 cars, and enough "bits" from odd scraps of old tamiya cars and spares from my racing cars etc to build at least two cars. I've also got a very limited budget of about 200 pounds to spend, but I know that can only go so far...

An appeal:
I would greatly appreciate the donation of any RC parts or assemblies that you might be able to contribute - new, old, surplus, broken... any and all bits are useful

Most useful would be:

• whole vehicles - even toys
  • bodyshells for TCs, Trucks or Buggies (paint or condition not important)
  • nimh "shotgun" stick packs with shrink-wraped insulation (read: kid-safe)
  • basic tools - like "tamiyatools", kit allenkeys, and small screwdrivers or pliers
  • brushed escs. (eg. tamiya 101bk)
  • servos and radio gear
  • any sort of "motor pods" with axles - simple on-road stuff would be great, but even the broken back half of a grasshopper or something would be excellent.
  • front end parts, esp steering blocks with bearings and wheels.
  • Literally any sort of RC-related parts would be appreciated - kids are quite imaginative!
If you can help out, it would play a big part in helping to make this great project more fruitful for these young boys and girls, and you can know that your spare parts that may be collecting dust will be put to good use inspiring the creativity and learning of young people!

The benefits that the students will gain from the project are immense: teamwork, applying maths, design and technology skills, scientific testing, developing eye-hand coordination, and the sense of accomplishment from building up a car from scratch.

Thanks for taking a moment to consider what spare bits you might have around.

I will be at the oOple Invernational, and I attend most of the SE regional events. Hope to see you there! Otherwise, items can be posted to me at the school's address below.

Cheers,
Tiyen Miller
Science Teacher
South Camden Community School
www.sccs.camden.sch.uk

SCCS
Charrington Street
London
NW1 1RG

Last edited by tymill; 16-06-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: updated the list of compnents that would be most helpful
Old 10-06-2010
oOple Advertiser

Come over and see me at the Oople (big green tent), i'll be there tomorrow afternoon, I have a Novak GTX speedo lurking in my box that will be no use to me anymore so it's yours if you want it.
Old 10-06-2010

There's a bag of parts on it's way to you all the way from Wales.

Team Losi Mini 8ight - Gen's Ace 1800mah Lipo // EZRun 35A ESC
Old 10-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you could send me any lesson plans etc that would be much appreciated as I'm going to be starting very much the same sort of thing in Manchester next term (I'm also a Secondary Science teacher in an inner city school). The aim is to build a Formula schools car, but basic stuff to start with as like your students most of mine have never really seen an RC car before (most are from overseas - Somalia mainly) so getting some experience first would be a good idea.
In return I can send you the circuit plans for the esc we are making (reverse engineered from a late 80's Laser speedo) and some silver cans (I've got about 30!)

Simon Davanzo
Manchester Academy

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 10-06-2010

You have a big box of bits coming to you

Carl

~Tiverton Radio Control Car Club-
Old 11-06-2010
Mad Member

Ti,

I'll start going through my stuff, almost certainly got something for you!

D'you need more batteries?
How about chargers etc?

Steve
Old 11-06-2010
Mad Member

How about dropping Chris Wilkinson a line at Mardave if you're looking for "simple" stuff as opposed to more complex chassis setups?
Old 12-06-2010

Default is this any good 4 u?

hi ty,got a new tamiya tl-01 stadium raider rtr with lots of spares inc(motors,tyres,esc/s,shox,plastic parts etc)sat here in spain u can av 4 free,if u r prepared to pay the p&p!.there r 6 batts+wall charger as well.everything was bought about 3 years ago with the intension of starting rc club.(council wud not give permission as there a nitro club 5 miles away)i am into micros and micro crawling now,so tl-01 is just gathering dust.many regards-eddie.
Old 15-06-2010

Default spares4u

ty did u get my pm?,not sure if it went thru mate.-eddie