Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 27-02-2011
Mad Member

Default Cougar 8mm Chassis Flex and tweek

Since putting on the new chassis and battery brace I've noticed there is a considerable amount of flex in the chassis compared to the standard chassis even with the soft top deck.

It's leading to a problem which I didn't notice on the original chassis in that the flex is allowing the chassis to rub on the motor can (Nosram in my case) and isn't always returning to a flat chassis so I end up with a tweaked chassis.
I noticed it after giving the car a quick run round on the drive and went to put the car on the table and realised that only three wheels hit the table. I checked to make sure I had equal amounts of droop left to right on my shocks and that the wishbones weren't binding anywhere.

I realised that if I hold the front and rear of the car and twist you can hear and see the chassis rubbing against the motor, which when you let go isn't always returning to flat. I imagine on a bumpy race track this could make for an interesting handling car.

Just wondered if anyone else has notice the same thing and whether there could be a simple fix? As dremeling a slot under the motor on a £50+ chassis isnt my idea of fun!!!!!

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 27-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

were the purple pin slides through to hold the battery strap down at the rear,have you drilled it out,it might be sticking there,someone will tell you how big the hole needs to be

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 27-02-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post
were the purple pin slides through to hold the battery strap down at the rear,have you drilled it out,it might be sticking there,someone will tell you how big the hole needs to be
Nope, it's all standard!

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

Old 27-02-2011

I've noticed the motor does rub on the chassis, but I can't say I've ever noticed it tweaking the chassis.

Are you sure it's not something else that's causing the problem? As I'd imagine it's something more than tweak if there's only 3 wheels on the table!
Old 27-02-2011
Mad Member

Tom you've got email

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 27-02-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerill View Post
I've noticed the motor does rub on the chassis, but I can't say I've ever noticed it tweaking the chassis.

Are you sure it's not something else that's causing the problem? As I'd imagine it's something more than tweak if there's only 3 wheels on the table!

It's only three wheels if you hold the chassis level on full droop, say you have the two rear wheels touching, one front will touch and the other won't, hope that makes sense. In this case it's either the front right or rear left that doesn't touch the table.

Not really sure where else to start looking, have made sure all the wishbones move freely and drop to the same level and also checked my shock lengths and made sure that the anti squat blocks and gearbox are all sitting square.

I did notice that when installing the motor it didn't slide freely between the chassis and the top of the gear casing which I guess could be twisting the gearbox.

Guess the easy way to check is take the motor out and see what happens?!

Old 27-02-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

it does that on the std chassis as well remove ares today and both chassis have marks from motor touching, doubt theres any were near enough friction to tweak the chassis,take a look at from upper and lower bulkheads for cracks and breaks,