Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > YORCC - York

Old 15-01-2013

It wouldn't matter though if Rich 'beat' your 2wd if he were driving a 4wd because even though your on the same track at the same time, your actually in a different race.

Now if Mr Lowe was constantly beating your 4wd with his 2wd *that* would get annoying, as well as being soul destroying

Seriously though I understand it wouldn't be ideal and it may be complicated to set up the system. Just a random thought....

G
Old 15-01-2013

Send a message via MSN to robpearce255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
I do agree with the position of the main 'feature' being close to the rostrum not being ideal, I usually put it there to make it easier for people to judge - especially for some of the younger members who don't have as high a vantage point as the rest of us big kids
We can try it toward the back of the track or even somewhere in the middle if people want next meeting, it would definitely help stop people trying to sterilise Chris!

Also I 110% agree with most of the cars people drive being over powered too. One of the things I noticed when I went to the US to race for the first time was the complete lack of vaguely guided missiles in the lower heats flying off in random directions, the American's do seem more disciplined than most UK club drivers in driving a car they can handle. For most people I think a 10.5 is a nice balance of being fast enough but still controllable, there are a couple of members who have recently switched their monster motors for 10.5's and are more than happy

You have to also look at the other side of the coin though, for the drivers that CAN handle big power having a 10.5 motor limit could be a real pain. Having to swap motors out every week would not only be annoying but constant soldering would eventually give internal dry joints on the motors and make them go bad sooner. Additionally (and this might just be me) but driving a 10.5, especially in 4wd would have me bored rigid. Yes you can add timing to the ESC that gets some of your top speed back but you lose torque, which just makes the car feel like you're running a badly matched set of nicad's and a cell or two has dumped

It's a tough one...
I'll admit, when I set up the jump on saturday, it was a little close to the rostrum, maybe a bit too close. But there was still plenty of room to dismount the rostrum. I agree with Rich's point, we almost always do the jump there to provide the best view of it and the angle of your approach to the up ramp. I think judging the angle and position of the car approaching the jump would be very tricky with the jump at the other side of the hall to the rostrum, or in the middle of the track would obstruct the view of other parts of the hall, potentialy causing more incedents! It is very rare that anyone gets hit, it was just unfortunate that Jamie miss judged his angle after coming off the rippled section. I was in the same race and stood next to him as it happened in fact, luckily at the other side of him. The car actually hit Jamie himself, but unfortunately as he tried to kick it away from the rest of us, it spun in and caught chris in the nuts. The motor speed had nothing to do with it, it was the rippled run up. I setup the the jump to include a smooth down ramp and kick up off the end, which could easily be down ramped at reasonable, not excessive speeds. I disagree with any limiting to modified class, as it's been said before, it's down to the individual to realise they can go faster by having a slower motor and being more in control. Limiting the class would only spoil things for the top drivers, Rich actually cleared the jump a number of times safely to jump lapped cars.
Old 15-01-2013
Legendary dude

On the subject of jumps then why is it always a massive pointless jump the. The rest is touring car track. For Example Batley club do small
Jumps dotted around the track not a recreation of the alps. Big air is not always the way to go.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 15-01-2013
Legendary dude

On the subject of top drivers no offence to them but why cater for the few when making rules for the majority to have good racing. Watching the 2wd mod on sat would say only 2 of 3 of the 11 drivers were able to get round looking in control the rest well going round from one crash to another. Was the same in 4wd too

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
On the subject of jumps then why is it always a massive pointless jump the. The rest is touring car track. For Example Batley club do small
Jumps dotted around the track not a recreation of the alps. Big air is not always the way to go.
Utter rubbish! It is not always a massive jump, we sometimes create it as a table top corner. And I also made use of the little ramps (the only others we have!) on another section of track to make things more interesting. The jump that night was about skill of catching the down ramp I put in mid jump, not big air! Rather than bleeting about it on oople why not have some positive input and come to help the very few of us that build the track and take it down every week!! I was the first through the door after mike, got my stuff in and had the jump half built by the time the next person walked in! To everyone at YORCC, please get down early, get your stuff ready then help with the track! If you're unsure what to do, just ask how you can help. If you have positive ideas for layout let us know and we'll include them where feasable. Also please help with packing away where possible (those with small children, or incapable of lifting are excused ofcourse) but there are a lot of racer that pack up and leave without a care for those that do all the packing away! Please help us!!
Old 15-01-2013

I can see the pro's and cons of all the ideas posted, but I'll draw your attention to one simple thing.

The committee.

Nothing has ever moved fast when it needs to be decided on by committee, and this will not be an exception... No matter what we think needs to be done, it will have to be decided on by the committe and they arent going to change anything.

Any changes to the way 540 works will mean that committee members have to drive in the mod class, and thats not going to happen...

Any changes to the motors allowed, means that there will be more classes to run, and that means we wont get through the races, either that or every single heat will be 10 man heats instead of just 2wd mod... Thats not going to happen...

Basically, you can come up with whatever ideas you want, but its not going to get past the committee as its worked for the last 20 years so why bother changing?

M2P

AC

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback
Old 15-01-2013
Legendary dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpearce255 View Post
Utter rubbish! It is not always a massive jump, we sometimes create it as a table top corner. And I also made use of the little ramps (the only others we have!) on another section of track to make things more interesting. The jump that night was about skill of catching the down ramp I put in mid jump, not big air! Rather than bleeting about it on oople why not have some positive input and come to help the very few of us that build the track and take it down every week!! I was the first through the door after mike, got my stuff in and had the jump half built by the time the next person walked in! To everyone at YORCC, please get down early, get your stuff ready then help with the track! If you're unsure what to do, just ask how you can help. If you have positive ideas for layout let us know and we'll include them where feasable. Also please help with packing away where possible (those with small children, or incapable of lifting are excused ofcourse) but there are a lot of racer that pack up and leave without a care for those that do all the packing away! Please help us!!
Fella over the years I've done my fair share of track building at the club. I remember times it only ever only being 2 or 3 people building the track so don't even go down the well help out route and also I told you sat night that jump was crap. This thread has gone off subject about speeds of modified.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 15-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I thought the jump was really good! It was easy to dribble over safely for the less experienced racers, but if you wanted to get over it quickly it needed a little bit of talent to land in the middle on the downslope and give it a squirt to jump out. It was only the odd nutcase (hello ) that was able to clear the whole thing
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

All this said it's up to the York committee to decide what to do about slowing the cars down without pissing to many people off if they have to buy new stuff im guessing this won't happen till the next agm whenever that is

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
I can see the pro's and cons of all the ideas posted, but I'll draw your attention to one simple thing.

The committee.

Nothing has ever moved fast when it needs to be decided on by committee, and this will not be an exception... No matter what we think needs to be done, it will have to be decided on by the committe and they arent going to change anything.

Any changes to the way 540 works will mean that committee members have to drive in the mod class, and thats not going to happen...

Any changes to the motors allowed, means that there will be more classes to run, and that means we wont get through the races, either that or every single heat will be 10 man heats instead of just 2wd mod... Thats not going to happen...

Basically, you can come up with whatever ideas you want, but its not going to get past the committee as its worked for the last 20 years so why bother changing?

M2P

AC
I agree, it probably won't get past the committe, because things do work fine as they are! It was simply a 'racing incedent' that unfortunately caught you in the bollocks, a one off accendent that was dealt with on the night with a shake of hands between you and jamie, and laugh it off. There are committee members that do mod already actually, Jerry and myself are both on the committee so any further problems/ideas can be reported to us. As far as I can see though this is over and done with now, no changes required, simple as that.
Old 15-01-2013
Legendary dude

Quote:
I agree, it probably won't get past the committe, because things do work fine as they are! It was simply a 'racing incedent' that unfortunately caught you in the bollocks, a one off accendent that was dealt with on the night with a shake of hands between you and jamie, and laugh it off. There are committee members that do mod already actually, Jerry and myself are both on the committee so any further problems/ideas can be reported to us. As far as I can see though this is over and done with now, no changes required, simple as that.
Sorry but your deluded. Wait till someone gets hurt then say nothing needs changing.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

Totally agree with that John but it seem what your saying is falling on deaf ears with some of the committee

And Rich your not to bad at controlling toy cars !! if all the people who race there tryed to clear the jump in one go it might not end with quite the same result and people will get hurt at some point

Trader feedback
Old 15-01-2013

I did get hurt. Nothing needs changing cos its a freak accident, and the first one i've seen in 15 months racing, indoors and outdoors...

Thanks to Gray @ 01 and Alex @ Moss Models for being a pair of legends and supporting their local clubs!

Trader Feedback

Last edited by AC199; 15-01-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: edited due to phone being terribad...
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

What happens if somone gets hit in the head then will any thing get changed ?

Trader feedback
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
Sorry but your deluded. Wait till someone gets hurt then say nothing needs changing.
In regards to that the main thing I want to get changed is the marshalling situation. I went to batley the other week and noticed the kids only marshall if they're with an adult at the marshall point. They're the ones most at risk of getting hurt so I believe we should opperate the same policy. Most accidents to us big kids can be rubbed better easy enough certainly with use only doing 1:10 electric. The most risky area is the straight, and with Jerry's drivers breifings things are already getting better, advice on not bumping but being patient to overtake or lap, calling lapping and also calling car on the straight. This has reduced high speed incedents, the use of carpet rolls and foam does the job of catching most of the out of control cars. I saw on another club section earlier, they were talking about the same poblem and suggested netting. Maybe we could use the orange netting we have normally only used on big evens, strung between the 2 mat trollies to catch out of control cars.
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC199 View Post
I did get hurt. Nothing needs changing...
EXACTLY!!!! Like I just said! Us big kids can rub things better! A little plastic car isn't going to break my leg, it'd smash to pieces before it would! 1:8th scale have this to worry about, not us!
Old 15-01-2013
Legendary dude

Quote:
EXACTLY!!!! Like I just said! Us big kids can rub things better! A little plastic car isn't going to break my leg, it'd smash to pieces before it would! 1:8th scale have this to worry about, not us!
What a stupid comment

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 15-01-2013

There has only been one injury I remember in years! That was only because mike(or maybe ben, I can't remember exactly) rilley stepped on my brother's car while marshalling and did his ancle in as he slipped over.
Old 15-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Interesting reading this, I don't race at your club, but do run a club now and also been involved in quite a few over the past years. The thing that has changed enormously in only the last few years in tenth is lipo and brushless, not that long ago it was much harder to get a car to go seriously fast and last 5min, but now anyone can get a 4wd to go at speeds that tbh a tenth car just can't handle, add to this mini pins and carpet and an enclosed space and things are going to happen!
Now in the world of 8th we have had to consider marshal safety when building tracks, most of all the jump sections for quite some time.This is something 10th is going to have to consider more now the cars are getting faster, i have raced at some indoor meetings in the last couple of years that give no consideration to marshals at all, and in many cases marshals are under attack from many directions with nothing but a chair for cover
I think the problem you had is quite simple, the jump was in the wrong place!

I think I kinda aree with richard also, If things are getting to fast, slow the track down,polished floor, ripple sections etc, make people slow down.But having run clubs this I realise this comes with a problem, most racers only enjoy their meeting if they can go flat out all the time, if you make them slacken the slipper off, change the profile, or even need to reach in the box for a far slower motor they don't come racing anymore!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

Thats ok then if there's been one accident allready there won't be anymore

Like i said in a previous post it's up to the committee if they want to do anything about the speed of the cars.....

Trader feedback