Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 06-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post
so has anyone actually taken up any of the offers from the forecourts or supermarkets to get there fuel cheaper like morrisons / esso points or fuel cards

i use about 80 quid a week and thats without going on any long drives at weekend to a track

just wondering !
No. You get what you pay for. Supermarket fuel is cheap because it's cheerful - my car hates it! I'd collect the points if they meant I could use them for anything useful, but the ones I see offer me a hideously small discount (like, buy 1000 gallons, get one free) or an endless collection of things I don't need!!

Easing off the loud pedal and getting another 10% better mpg is the best way I can find of saving fuel. Having used the latest Shell FuelSave, I do think that goes a smidge further, and I've got more miles from the same tankful. However, my Volvo (Ford) diesel engine likes Esso best - gives it more go!!

It's boring doing 10mph less on the motorway, and treating the loud pedal like it's got an egg under it I don't want to break, but it's saving me money.
Old 06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
No. You get what you pay for. Supermarket fuel is cheap because it's cheerful - my car hates it! I'd collect the points if they meant I could use them for anything useful, but the ones I see offer me a hideously small discount (like, buy 1000 gallons, get one free) or an endless collection of things I don't need!!

Easing off the loud pedal and getting another 10% better mpg is the best way I can find of saving fuel. Having used the latest Shell FuelSave, I do think that goes a smidge further, and I've got more miles from the same tankful. However, my Volvo (Ford) diesel engine likes Esso best - gives it more go!!

It's boring doing 10mph less on the motorway, and treating the loud pedal like it's got an egg under it I don't want to break, but it's saving me money.
How is supermarket fuel different from normal fuel. Our Ford S-MAX Diesel 2.0 TDCi runs fine on regular diesel from Asda.

It all comes from the same place anyway aprt from changes in the additive which hardly make a difference

The problem with pure Biodiesel is that not many car manufacturers like it and say it will void the warranty on the engine. a couple of years back my dad enquired to ford about it and they said they did not support it.
Old 07-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmm I have just read a bit about bio fuel, I run a grounds care contract company, As of 1st jan we have to use low sulpher red derv by law in the tractors,This low sulpher fuel contains a %age of bio fuel and John deere recon the mix is so hit and miss. they advise we add addative to every tank, or they cannot garranty engine performance or reliability....nice

About to look into prices of the new fuel, but I bet it's more than we used to pay! cos it's green, green always = more money! and prob by the time you add the cost of addative will be running closer to the price of white derv, Tax man 1,small firm 0

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

Additives are good for you. In the case of diesel, it's the ones that keep the injectors a bit cleaner, and the ones that increase the cetane rating. If you keep your car a few years, never do more than about 75k in them, then it's fine. My cars go on for years and well into 6 figures, so having the engine as good as it can be is important.

My last diesel did 196k on a completely original engine and ancillaries, and I'm fast approaching 100k in the V50 with the engine in fine fettle. Each to their own...
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

Personally i wouldnt use supermarket fuel, makes my derv smokey, shell only for me (well i have to because of fuel card ).

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 07-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Personally i wouldnt use supermarket fuel, makes my derv smokey, shell only for me (well i have to because of fuel card ).
Good point! If you want to pass the MOT first time, stick in a tank of Shell V-Power, use a bout 3/4 of it, and then go for the MOT. Guaranteed pass, as the V-Power has all the additives and keeps the smoke down. Mind you, at £1.35+ a litre, it's good MOTs are only annually!! Still cheaper than a fail, and expensive tuning work though.

Just filled up in the Derby area at £1.29/litre - ouch!!
Old 07-01-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
How is supermarket fuel different from normal fuel. Our Ford S-MAX Diesel 2.0 TDCi runs fine on regular diesel from Asda.

It all comes from the same place anyway aprt from changes in the additive which hardly make a difference

The problem with pure Biodiesel is that not many car manufacturers like it and say it will void the warranty on the engine. a couple of years back my dad enquired to ford about it and they said they did not support it.
easy they add a higher content of bio fuel which some cars dont like

Quote:
Good point! If you want to pass the MOT first time, stick in a tank of Shell V-Power, use a bout 3/4 of it, and then go for the MOT. Guaranteed pass, as the V-Power has all the additives and keeps the smoke down. Mind you, at £1.35+ a litre, it's good MOTs are only annually!! Still cheaper than a fail, and expensive tuning work though.

Just filled up in the Derby area at £1.29/litre - ouch!!
sorry thats pants the biggest reason diesels dont pass is silly old farts that drive round like miss daisy.... get it hot and give it a really good thrash to the govener till no shit comes out the back, then take it to the MOT station and it will pass...
Old 08-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
get it hot and give it a really good thrash to the govener till no shit comes out the back, then take it to the MOT station and it will pass...
Thought that's why MOT stations stopped doing this as it was blowing engines up.
Old 08-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yer I have noticed that. I used to have to drive out old landrover discovery to the test station in 2nd, reving the nuts off it to clear it out as if not it would turn the floor black when they reved it flat out, but now they don't do that, thank god!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 08-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by big air View Post
Thought that's why MOT stations stopped doing this as it was blowing engines up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
yer I have noticed that. I used to have to drive out old landrover discovery to the test station in 2nd, reving the nuts off it to clear it out as if not it would turn the floor black when they reved it flat out, but now they don't do that, thank god!

??? mot still involves reving the diesel engines on a smoke tester that reads the black smoke!
Old 08-01-2011
Mad Member

Mark, car diesels don't have a governer, they just reach the limit of fuel atomisation. You're showing your age now!!

My engine is very familiar with its rev limit (has to be, those bloody particulate filters don't work if you drive like 'flat cap'), but it still chucks smoke out like a good 'un with other fuels. The V-Power fuel gives almost no smoke. So maybe pants to you, but a guranteed MOT pass for me!!!

Can't believe it, but where I filled up two days ago, price has gone up again by a penny!
Old 08-01-2011

Quote:
Mark, car diesels don't have a governer, they just reach the limit of fuel atomisation. You're showing your age now!!

My engine is very familiar with its rev limit (has to be, those bloody particulate filters don't work if you drive like 'flat cap'), but it still chucks smoke out like a good 'un with other fuels. The V-Power fuel gives almost no smoke. So maybe pants to you, but a guranteed MOT pass for me!!!

Can't believe it, but where I filled up two days ago, price has gone up again by a penny!
they may not have a mechanical govenor but thet are govened on the rpm thay will rev to, by electronics! they will run far higher on thier own oil than there governed too, trust me seen it done it!!

when your doing a static regen and the pcm is holding 4500rpm and it then starts knocking and going over 5000 and you have the key in your hand............not good, certainly leaves a smell lol
Old 08-01-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
they may not have a mechanical govenor but thet are govened on the rpm thay will rev to, by electronics! they will run far higher on thier own oil than there governed too, trust me seen it done it!!

when your doing a static regen and the pcm is holding 4500rpm and it then starts knocking and going over 5000 and you have the key in your hand............not good, certainly leaves a smell lol
Tin hat and brown trouser time!!
Old 10-01-2011

i just filled up here in spain and paid 1.20(euros)a litre.depending on which exchange rate u use,thats about a quid.
Old 11-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I never realised how much tax we pay on petrol untill I was watching the telly this morning. £3.83 on each gallon. The thieving goverment make £2 more than the companies who make the stuff and then tax them as well.
The show said this summer when the weather gets better there are going to be a lot of demonstartions going on.
Old 07-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgit View Post
Just got back from Cardiff and was amazed to see the difference in prices per litre en route. Cheapest was near home Wrexham 120.9 pl unleaded and diesel at 122.9 pl.
dearest was in Hereford 126.9pl unleaded and 128.9 ppl diesel.
What are you paying near you?
I started this thread on 14 December now less than 3 months on petrol and diesel is sky high near me at
129.9 unleaded up 6.6%
133.9 diesel up 9%
George Osborne is thinking about not increasing fuel duty next month by 1p lt. Big thank you to you mr Osborne. How about reducing the £3.83 tax on it. How can it be legal to make more money on taxing fuel than the company who make it get profit. Shell make less than £2 per gallon profit. Surely there must be some legal expert who can challange this in the high courts and be a super hero.
Old 07-03-2011
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

in hull my garage is 133.9 petrol
138.9 deisel

and no its not a litlle village garage
Old 07-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Rumours are for it to be £2 per litre by mid-Summer. And for it to be double this if the Libyan problems continue.

I don't know about you guys, but I'll be peddling to work - 20mile round trip.
Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'll be peddling to work - 20mile round trip.
I do that now but not because of the fuel price

but I think I'll not be traveling to far for race meetings from now on due to fuel prices
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 07-03-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Agreed, or car sharing to go to race meetings.