Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 10-02-2007

Question X-6 Setup help for a Bumpy Grass Track

X-6 Setup help please i origanaly posted a simalar thread in General so i would like to continue it here where it belongs in the X-Factory Family ,I origanaly thought it was down to my inexperience of 2wd cars but i might well all be down to setup

Below are 3 Videos of my local track which i had my problems on any obvious setup tips for this type of track would be good please guys while i try to work out what setup i have put on my X-6

I am the White Pink & Blue X6 with the large rear wing

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...v?t=1171092916

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...v?t=1171093213

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...v?t=1171095127

I am not in the 3rd Video but i think it was the best veiw of that part of the track ................

Ill work out my setup and post it here soon but i know you top guys will say straight away things like (Silver Rear Springs 25wt oil for example) Just by looking at the track type

Cheers i know we can crack this together.............
Old 10-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi mate,
Could do with knowing your current setup to be able to tell where to take it.

Initially I will recommend 4 degree rear toe in, and two large washers under the toe in bar (for less anti squat). But then with not knowing your current setup, I can't comment more.

Oh, what tyres are you using? It looks like a good track to use TR32's if you can get/find them.

Chris
Old 11-02-2007

Thanks Chris those 2 things are not part of my setup hopfuly below is my setup well its the way I built it rather than a setup

Old 11-02-2007

As far as the shocks go i can fit Losi on the front if you think it would benifit me as i only have the Front AE brown springs i have to run AE rears at the mo as i am waiting for my BK2 shocks to arrive , I have green gold silver and red rear AE springs...........
Old 11-02-2007

It's very hard to tell from the video but it looks a little to soft.

I have no idea though on AE shocks, you could tell me you were running a spamwangle in the rears and I would have more of a clue

Either you need to up the oil or change the rear piston to one with smaller holes, whatever that is with AE pistons??

More squat is better for the bumps, so less washers, sorry Chris This will make the rear slide a little more into the turns though.

Also go fully long on the wheelbase.

I've not had the chance to try mine on grass yet but when I do I will be able to help some more. That looks pretty bumpy there though.

E.
Old 11-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I got to run mine on grass with AE shocks. I ran a similar rear setup, except with Silver rear springs 4 degree toe in.

I would defo go for 30 degree caster blocks and maybe a slightly thicker oil (35 wt) also a harder front spring, silver maybe. Also try the front axle at the low setting, will help car settle over bumps and take away some of the twitchyness on turn in.
Old 11-02-2007

Maybe try 35 or 37,5 wt in the rear with the silver springs. The rear shock mounting seems senible enough for those conditions.

In the front the oil seems fine, but I'd use a harder spring. because now you probebly have little steering/reaction and when the front end digs in because of the soft springs you'll get to much steering in an uncontrolabe way. If you dont have acces to other springs (you could try and lone some bleu's) go to a higher wt in oil, something like 40 / 42.5 maybe. and put the shocks in a 1-I setting or a 1-O setting.

Also on these types of tracks (well any track actually) ride height is very imporant to get a car balanced. You probably need to have a bit heigher rear-end than normal to get through the bad sections. just start out with the front level and adjust the front so the car is balanced.

Hope that helpes.
Old 13-02-2007

Thanks everyone i have taken a bit of advice from all and made the following changes

Losi shocks all round (as per i would run them on my XX4 or X5 )
4deg rear toe in
2deg neg camber on the rear
front hubs now in the lower position
wheelbase lenthened

hope it will go better sunday ill report back

Damm she just looks so much better with the Losi shocks on
Old 14-02-2007
Mad Member

Cutting Edge, we use 1.2 Losi shocks at the rear of the X -5 & xx-4, but only 1" at the rear of the X - 6. There's a problem with too much droop if the shocks are too long and the bones come out of the outdrives.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 14-02-2007
Mad Member

Straight from the horses mouth.
Old 15-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Cutting Edge, we use 1.2 Losi shocks at the rear of the X -5 & xx-4, but only 1" at the rear of the X - 6. There's a problem with too much droop if the shocks are too long and the bones come out of the outdrives.
Thanks I am awair of this but when i built my X6 i spaced the rear with an extra bearing on the inside of the hub and changed the external AE Blue spacer with a 0.2mm shim just enough to keep it the drive pin and wheel off the hub, I have fitted XX4 rear shocks and they don't come out the rear diff

They may not work correctly ill let you all know

Thanks Trev

p.s I have BK2 shocks on there way this is an experenment............
Old 15-02-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

may I suggest that you really need to reduce the length of the rear xx4 shocks. The xx4 shocks should not be more than 5 or 6 mm longer than your B4 shocks.

To do this you will need a pair of XXX (all types) rear shock shafts to put in your xx4 shock bodies. You could put some internal limiters in the shocks that you have, not ideal but you could do it till you get the correct shafts. You will need quite a bit of limiters inside, again limit the shocks so they are about 5mm longer than your B4 shocks.

If you don't get the rear shocks the correct length you will have way to much rear droop and mess the handling up big time, it's not just the driveshaft falling out as Chazz says, you need the rear shocks the correct length for handling prposes aswell.
Old 17-02-2007

But seriously does having the losi shocks on the back make that much of a difference? I still haven't run my x6 yet (tomorrow's the opener). we're racing at http://www.wnyrcinfo.com/site/module...ewtopic&t=8141

it's a tacky clay surface just recently set with a new track. I'm running the 3dg in the rear and about 1 dg of neg camber front and rear.

OH there's so much to learn.

I'm also running slicks with traction compound.

I also put in an 84t spur, the track needs torque. I've put a 15x2 in there for punch.

any thoughts.

xxx CR
micro t
rc18
mini z 01 and 02
One awesome track in my back yard
www.sidsraceway.com
Old 18-02-2007

Well my X-6 had a full meeting today and i must say it went well apart from overheating the motor to the point that the wires unsoldered themselfs (Now thats Hot)

Running in practice with XX4 shocks all round the Bug went well untill one shock started leaking so i went back to the AE shocks which gave the rear of the Bug more droop than the XX4 shocks did !!!

Racing head to head with XX4's and a couple of 501x's the X6 was when i was driving well a match for both of them in a couple of races ( Well Pleased)

Is Heat an issure with running some makes of Motor i was running a Trinity 13x2 running at 81/24 8.775 when it first unsoldered the wires so i droped the gearing to 81/22 9.573 and it did it again ,This is running a 10 lap race which lasts about 4.30 to 5 mins ?????

Can't wait till the next one Bring it on