Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Mid West

Old 23-04-2012

Default Regionals-The Box

Can some one please explain the rules clearly for me as my car fitted in but the end of the driveshafts were just rubbing the side they let me race all qually rounds but then said it was well over in the final even though it was in the box once again was aloud to race. I dont want to drive nearly 2hrs to ledbury for the next round and not be able to race due to this
so just need to be clear on rules

I was not the only person with this problem all of us seemed to have dex410 and be our first regional

thanks
Old 23-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregors View Post
Can some one please explain the rules clearly for me as my car fitted in but the end of the driveshafts were just rubbing the side they let me race all qually rounds but then said it was well over in the final even though it was in the box once again was aloud to race. I dont want to drive nearly 2hrs to ledbury for the next round and not be able to race due to this
so just need to be clear on rules

I was not the only person with this problem all of us seemed to have dex410 and be our first regional

thanks
The car needs to fit in the box throughout the whole suspension travel, you'll have to dremel the axles on the Durango as we have to on the Ansmann X4TE
Old 23-04-2012

Is it easy to find the size of the box. im at wotk and could get one made now to check my car
Old 23-04-2012

Here you go...

But instead of putting the effort in to making a box, I would just grind your front stub axles flush with the nut and you'll be fine...

23.3 The dimensions must conform to the following:-
Maximum length - 460mm inc. bumpers
Maximum width - 250mm at any point of suspension travel in a vertical plane.
Minimum weight - 1474grams for 2WD, 1588grams for 4WD complete and ready to race. The minimum weight(s) include fixed Personal Transponder but exclude Auto-powered (hand-out) Transponder.
Old 23-04-2012

Found it

Maximum length - 460mm inc. bumpersMaximum width - 250mm at any point of suspension travel in a vertical plane.Minimum weight - 1474grams for 2WD, 1588grams for 4WD complete and ready

of to the laser cutter
Old 23-04-2012

Think we posted at same time :-)
Wont take long to cut one out
cheers
Old 24-04-2012

I had to grind the back axels off my b44.1. It fits in the box, just doesn't roll back and forward very well, ground a bit off and it was ok. still need to take a bit more off though.
Old 24-04-2012
Mad Member

Default ?

Mine was ok until the final when it was stated as being a bit tight have already grind some off my axles but it is also the way the tires are glued as they overhang slightly which causes the car to rub.

Shouldn't the box be the axles rather than the tires - cos it like buying chargers we have no control of the 8.40 voltage, as we have no control of how the tires overhang the wheels.

Please help?????????
Old 24-04-2012

You NEED help...... No wonder Sue hits you.

Type that out again, so it makes sence please

If it fits in the box, it fits - whats the problem even if its a bit tight it still fits.
Old 24-04-2012
Mad Member

Default !

Thats what i thought but it now needs to move forward and back - suspension up and down
Old 24-04-2012

Come to our Regionals...

We use a Biscuit tin
Old 24-04-2012

I have never understood the rolling back and forward, if its in, its in. The axels can't push the metal out on the box so it can't deform the box so if the box is the correct internal dimensions (which I beleive they are) then if it goes in, it fits?
Old 24-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

If you read the rule above you'll see that the car has to fit throughout the whole suspension travel and not just 'fit in' the box. Personally I don't see a problem if it fits it fits ........ But that's not the rule
Old 24-04-2012

Right, that makes more sense now. Ta
Old 24-04-2012

Gary....with the 410 you do need to grind the ends off the driveshafts to get it to fit in - i learnt that at my first BRCA event with it!

On sunday I ran the first 2 rounds with no comments other than "OK", in the 3rd round i was told it's too tight and needs changing next time and it was only just let through.
In the 4th qualifier it was back to being "OK" - i didn't alter the car in any way throughout the day (hence poor result), the only thing that altered was the scrutineer.....
Old 24-04-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by afun1979 View Post
Gary....with the 410 you do need to grind the ends off the driveshafts to get it to fit in - i learnt that at my first BRCA event with it!

On sunday I ran the first 2 rounds with no comments other than "OK", in the 3rd round i was told it's too tight and needs changing next time and it was only just let through.
In the 4th qualifier it was back to being "OK" - i didn't alter the car in any way throughout the day (hence poor result), the only thing that altered was the scrutineer.....
This is the problem we all have, the scrutineering is a bit variable shall we say
I witnessed a few people on Sunday putting their own car in the box, squashing it down and pushing it along and getting it passed. This is of course all very well but it's best to get the car 'correct' because I guarantee you'll go somewhere where the scrutineering is spot on and you'll fail
Old 24-04-2012

There was coments about cars being tighter in the box when facing one way rather than the other. The one scrutenier couldn't understand why, but the young helper did "the box must be wonky".....

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 24-04-2012

I think it's poor that "Racing" models are sold that don't conform to the required dimensions
Old 24-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by toooldskool View Post
I think it's poor that "Racing" models are sold that don't conform to the required dimensions
propose it at the AGM. Find out what the widest car on the market is out of the box with a couple of degrees of camber & toe dialled in, then use that as your benchmark figure.

In saying that when i built my car, the blurb in the book says it's 245mm wide, though when built & measured it is actually over that figure & won't even go in the box without 1st cutting down the axles & fitting narrowed hex's.