Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals

Old 30-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

End of the day when I knew I was at an area where people in the A where jumping, and as Ellis had the lead and crashed my instant reaction was to marshal him at 110% and try and salvage his lead. I knew there was possibility of getting hit but Ellis had such a lead I didn’t think the pack that was running tight would get to me by the time I marshalled his car- I just didn’t count on his car bouncing backwards as it landed upside down.

Just one of those things didn’t stop me jumping back in front of cars or marshalling that area any less, Mossy Niggs and I think a 3rd car crashed in that area a few laps later and I still jumped onto the track and got them- no point letting one toy car hitting you change your attitude on marshalling

I really don’t want this to turn into some long winded controversy thread about health and safety and how we should marshal, end of the day I go hit so what I’m cool with it people from EPR asked if I was ok I said yes end of matter
Old 30-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Crashed in the second one and then got hit which took out one of my rear turnbuckles. 3rd leg I went over the jump and the bottom shock screw snapped out of the wishbone !!! I was gutted as I didn't even crash it but there you go, I still somehow got 5th overall which is good seeing as I only finished 1 run . Well done to Chris though and that other Essex boy

E.
Must have been my home track advantage
Old 30-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny McGee View Post
Must have been my home track advantage
those 2 screws were for your blades Danny.... haha, that made my day!
Old 30-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I marshalled there in qualifying yesterday, it wasn't an easy job. Lots of crashes and cars already commited at speed approaching made it hard to judge where/when to run out. But it was okay if was watching 110% which I was. There is no doubt Millzy did best he could, we all know things happen so fast.

As a feature, I did struggle with driving it, as did others (this is why it was difficult to marshall? if it was easier = less crashs, less breakages etc etc). I crashed there too often when I was just hoping off the top.

Can I suggest, shortening the top and lengthen the downslope on the race control side maybe by as much as 2ft, so as it can be landed on at ease. thats if it is going to be changed atall, id have no issue with it being left alone personally.

The astro used on the track is excellent, works consistenty and has plenty of grip with worn tyres. Id be tempted to say "please don't change the astro".

I wish I live 200miles or more closer! Id be there still now!

The venue was great, sensible priced food, drink & bar, plus all facilities clean, very well suited!
Old 30-06-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
I marshalled there in qualifying yesterday, it wasn't an easy job. Lots of crashes and cars already commited at speed approaching made it hard to judge where/when to run out.

As a feature, I did struggle with driving it, as did others (this is why it was difficult to marshall? if it was easier = less crashs, less breakages etc etc). I crashed there too often when I was just hoping off the top.

Can I suggest, shortening the top and lengthen the downslope on the race control side maybe by as much as 2ft, so as it can be landed on at ease.

The astro used on the track is excellent, works consistenty and has plenty of grip with worn tyres. Id be tempted to say "please don't change the astro".

I wish I live 200miles or more closer! Id be there still now!

The venue was great, sensible priced food, drink & bar, plus all facilities clean, very well suited!
I agree with you Chris about the down side not being long enough when we run the track as we did for 4WD, but this feature works perfectly in 2WD. Not sure what we can do as if the downside (4WD) was lengthened, I doubt it would have the same kicker effect...

Glad to hear all your nice opinions though. Any critiscm will be taken constructively of course as we are aware that there are areas that can be improved upon.
Old 30-06-2008
Lee-Mag

May i just say, and this is my opinion only, that i think FTD could have been chosen this weekend and i dont think there could have been any complaints. The track was very consistent considering the changes in temp.

Disclaimer
** Im not saying i wanted FTD, i like RBR but im just saying it was an option**

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 30-06-2008

Hi, Chris Brooke here, son of Steve and owner of the superb Haynes RC Car Manual by Matt Benfield that was in the commentary area yesterday (Matt, please post cheque to........)
Just a quick thank you to all those drivers and officals who signed it at the EPR National over the weekend and a special thanks to Brian Harris 'helped' get all those signatures.
Still got a way to go but alot alot of blanks filled in, thanks to all!

The EPR national was a great way to start off my national racing season and i had a great time..

p.s Thanks to dad for helping my do the 1st paragraph because i am knackered
Old 30-06-2008

Milzy as I said yesterday when you came over to apologose you tried and that is all that can be asked. I have no problem as after all I was the one that had crashed. I may have been unhappy if you had been watching a train go by or something but you gave it your best shot, only wish that when Darren had hit you you would have laid across the track to stop the rest

Agree with Matt that a little bit of work needs doing to the up ramp and top but don't change the overall shape as Chris says. The jump is cool going the other way so it would a be a shame to change it. There are other options than having cars go straight over it anyway and 10 years ago the cars weren't as fast when it was first done.

If you choose to do the jump and you crash it is your option, I would not have expected Milzy to go for my car to be fair with 9 other maniacs approaching fast. As long as you can see they are paying attention and would be ready to go when they can it is fine by me. I could have gone the safe option but as I had not done all day I didn't want to start....and it is faster to jump it no question but only when you land it....unless your shock screw then breaks out of you wishbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzy View Post
End of the day when I knew I was at an area where people in the A where jumping, and as Ellis had the lead and crashed my instant reaction was to marshal him at 110% and try and salvage his lead. I knew there was possibility of getting hit but Ellis had such a lead I didn’t think the pack that was running tight would get to me by the time I marshalled his car- I just didn’t count on his car bouncing backwards as it landed upside down.

Just one of those things didn’t stop me jumping back in front of cars or marshalling that area any less, Mossy Niggs and I think a 3rd car crashed in that area a few laps later and I still jumped onto the track and got them- no point letting one toy car hitting you change your attitude on marshalling

I really don’t want this to turn into some long winded controversy thread about health and safety and how we should marshal, end of the day I go hit so what I’m cool with it people from EPR asked if I was ok I said yes end of matter
Old 30-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattADH View Post
I agree with you Chris about the down side not being long enough when we run the track as we did for 4WD, but this feature works perfectly in 2WD. Not sure what we can do as if the downside (4WD) was lengthened, I doubt it would have the same kicker effect...

Glad to hear all your nice opinions though. Any critiscm will be taken constructively of course as we are aware that there are areas that can be improved upon.
you could extend the 'bottom' half of the ramp, this would still leave the top bit with enough kick when going the 2WD way.

I didn't find it a problem, I didn't listen to you Matt when you said you don't need to do it, I was doing it happily in praccy, half way through the first round, it all seemed easy until I broke it there, my fault, I was on the wrong line and should not have gone for it.

after that I just did it the easy way, I didn't feel I lost much doing it like that, it felt safer, and it was quite enjoyable jumping to the top and punching off.
Old 30-06-2008

I was also marshalling there all day yesterday and it was a bit scary but then again, the speed that the cars go now makes any marshalling frightening - even the guys in the middle of the track could get caught by out of control cars going down the straight. I moved round a bit towards the start / finish line and faced towards the jump so at least I could see the cars coming towards me.
Like Millzy - I wouldn't change it though - I wouldn't consider it an unsafe feature. if you start changing that, then marshalling at the end of the straight would then become unsafe etc etc.

Glad so many of you have gone away with good memories of the track.
It is incredibly rewarding and frustrating - just what a top class off-road track should be like. The original EPO was legendary - the reborn EPR is now building on that with it's own reputation.

Facility wise - no problems. Maybe next year you can provide Peter (the Landlord's Camping Baliff) with an EPR tee to see if that makes him smile at all. Other than that, I would expect that the landlords would know more about what to expect when the national circus comes to town next year hopefully - I think the scale of it all possibly surprised them a bit.

The whole series so far has been awesome - so many clubs with such great efforts - and lets not forget the efforts put in by PW, Jacqui, Charlie and all the others. So far so good. Well done guys.
Already I can't wait for 2009 - I may even do both classes then
Old 30-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
I didn't find it a problem, I didn't listen to you Matt when you said you don't need to do it, I was doing it happily in praccy, half way through the first round, it all seemed easy until I broke it there, my fault, I was on the wrong line and should not have gone for it.

after that I just did it the easy way, I didn't feel I lost much doing it like that, it felt safer, and it was quite enjoyable jumping to the top and punching off.
That's the beauty of the EPR jumps - If you're not comfortable with clearing it for 13 consecutive laps, you don't lose much by punching off the top. It only penalises your exuberence and you lose far more by binning it once than you would do by punching it cleanly for 13 laps.

Last edited by Gnarly Old Dog; 30-06-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo - missed word from last sentence
Old 30-06-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

just got home, we had a extra day in the hotel,
EPR Best national this year buy far, you guys have raised the bar so high, awesome job guys track was fantastic, nay awesome,loved everything track club house food toilet facilities etc etc etc, gona be hard to beat, BIG pat on the back to all involved,
2wd track running clockwise, had a great day and Matty got his best every result c final 4th i think he finished simply awesome, 4wd not as good, i think the track runs better clockwise than anti clockwise ramps jumps all much better that way, and thats the only thing i can think of to improve on,o may red striped on the curbs as lee suggested lol only joking
Old 30-06-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
just got home, we had a extra day in the hotel,
EPR Best national this year buy far, you guys have raised the bar so high, awesome job guys track was fantastic, nay awesome,loved everything track club house food toilet facilities etc etc etc, gona be hard to beat, BIG pat on the back to all involved,
2wd track running clockwise, had a great day and Matty got his best every result c final 4th i think he finished simply awesome, 4wd not as good, i think the track runs better clockwise than anti clockwise ramps jumps all much better that way, and thats the only thing i can think of to improve on,o may red striped on the curbs as lee suggested lol only joking
Hi Carl

Thanks for you kind comments. EPR was incredibly worried about the Social Clubs involvement (or lack of it) and no doubt their Debt Collector will be better informed should we be lucky enough to get an event in 2009.

We have run 4WD clockwise at a regional this year but it just didnt feel right - its hard to explain. Personally, I think that the track has a better feel clockwise.
That said, it would be nice to change a couple of corners or just surfaces - not radical but just to freshen it up...

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts...
Old 30-06-2008

Hey guys,

well we got home at the glorious hour of about 6am this morning lol. Did anyone else get stuck on the M1 just after junction 12 last night?? We were stuck there for about 1hr 20mins lol.

As for the track, well it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't think of another word that describes it better. Very technical & challenging but an amazingly fun track to drive .

I made some suggestions to DC about track improvements which would involve digging out some concrete markings to generate more layout options, hopefully he has remembered cause would be to hard 2 describe on here lol

Again EPR guys you did a truely amazing job & in such a short period of time, you all deserve the plaudits & the praise that everyone is giving you

AWESOME JOB, ROLL ON 2009
Old 30-06-2008

Great track, great weekend, well done to all involved, you should be very proud

Barry
Old 30-06-2008

Had a blast on Saturday, HUGE thanks to everyone that has put in the THOUSANDS of hours of hard graft to get the track into that condition. Everyone on the work team is a legend in my mind. Personally I wouldnt change a thing, least of all the astro although if im honest I do miss the red & black on the curbs & corners.
Old 30-06-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattADH View Post
Hi Carl

Thanks for you kind comments. EPR was incredibly worried about the Social Clubs involvement (or lack of it) and no doubt their Debt Collector will be better informed should we be lucky enough to get an event in 2009.

We have run 4WD clockwise at a regional this year but it just didn't feel right - its hard to explain. Personally, I think that the track has a better feel clockwise.
That said, it would be nice to change a couple of corners or just surfaces - not radical but just to freshen it up...

Once again, thanks for all your thoughts...
i think there will be a lot if disapointed people if there isn't a EPR in 2009
So there just had better be
Old 30-06-2008
Lee-Mag

People must be impressed, not one person has mentioned/complained about the long drive from up north.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 30-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to millzy

i had a crap drive up thanks to W***ker Cr*p S**t Sat nav i had
but it was well worth it, and thanks to southwell i found the track and Bathy made sure i got back on the m4 fine.

Id go again but id follow some one with a Tomtom and not a road angel

5hrs to get close to the track thanks to my sat nav 45quids worth of fule
3hrs 30mnis( thats including being stuch in london traffic) to get home following bathy in his mk 2 golf and 25quids worth of fule- had 50miles left as well
Old 30-06-2008

Eden Park was fantastic - loved the track even though it killed my xx4 a few times.

that was the first time iv'e been on the M25 and it was crap! then getting stuck on the M1 because of a car fire closed the motorway for over an hour made it even worse! 496 miles each way for us but the trip was well worth it - really looking forward to going to EPR next year!