Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bedfordshire RC Model Car Club

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-08-2011

Default Driving Etiquette

Driving Etiquette
So, here we are in first few weeks of the next championship. How is it all going? Well, I have to be honest and say that I am a little disillusioned – or maybe misguided!
We are all supposed to be racing for fun. You get to the end of a stressful week at work and think “oh good, race night tonight”. Meet up with like-minded people, help each other out, have a race and a bit of banter and go home happy!
Onto the heats, 5-7 cars line up, drivers of differing ability and cars of very different ability. In F1 there are a number whose cars are markedly faster than the rest for whatever reason, good cells, lucky G2 motor etc. OK no issue there. Onto the race:
Within the first few laps after start incidents etc have all settled down the lapping begins!
Mid fielders are happily fighting for position, racing each other, trying to improve and keep it clean when they hear “lapping” shouted out. At this point they seem to be expected to move over and get out of the way of the faster car. Never mind that they are also racing. Then maybe a bit later it happens again. Ok now what, well, maybe said faster cars – God forbid – actually have an incident or EVEN make an error. So, whilst they are in a mess you manage to drive round them and pick up a lap only to hear “lapping” again as they whistle past.
Now maybe I have this wrong in which case please correct me – gently now boys – but I thought that we are all supposed to be racing. If you are quicker – be it your ability or the car or both, surely you should be able to overtake as per full sized racing. I am NOT advocating blocking or dirty moves here, just pure racing. Yes, I know if you are holding someone up you may be ‘blue flagged’ but……
To add to this, there was a driver recently who called lapping so I duly moved over. Having overtaken he pulled over to adjust his Tx. Next minute he pulls out, catches up and calls ”lapping”. After the 3rd time this happened I was ready to go home!
Taking this to an extreme we may as well just run 1 car at a time on an empty track and the fastest time wins J
Now then chaps, let’s hear feedback on this BUT REMEMBER 2 things:
1. Play nicely – this isn’t a bun fight
2. We need to encourage youngsters and lead by example