Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 23-08-2010

Remember the pred isn't a car from the past guys
now it's very reliable and still fast
look at Kev Lee last week

you can still return too that old love, you won't regret it (that's my opinion)

cheers
Old 23-08-2010

I loved the Predator. Way ahead of it's time.

Was fortunate enough to know Richard Weatherley (and his brother John who was British Rally Champion in a Mazda 323 in the early 90s). Richard built a test track in his back garden where the car was developed, remember testing with and without the wings, made a massive difference.
Old 24-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah definitely, the car was a nightmare if you lost the front wing during a run - i remember having all sorts of problems cornering but especially jumping.....

I still think it's the best 4wd car i raced, and that was 2001 - Even then it was considered pretty old so great stuff that it's still winning now with essentially the same design 16 years later.....
Old 28-08-2010

Like the keypad speedo
Old 29-08-2010
Mad Member

key pad speedo like the 410K got to love it still silky smooth ..with brushed of course....

mvh Isobarik
Old 29-08-2010

Hi there,

I thought you would be interested in seeing some more old Pred stuff... I'm too young for having raced those in the days (I'm not racing anyway, no tracks here...) but I love those cars, how they are made and how they feel and look! I hope you'll like those!

So here is a Pred XT

Those guys were mad : I love the fact the spoilers came with lexan parts to make them like an inverted plane wing The spare axle is a one-way version

And now, a NIB DTM. I love this also because every purse is labelled with the name of the guy that made it. It's pretty impressive!

It misses the instruction manual though

Hope you liked it!

Julien
Old 04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Goodall View Post
That was 1996 - Still one of the best meetings I ever did, i've still got the print outs somewhere from the race, but Mark Francis and Jason Ruona came over for it which was cool... Best thing though was Rory Cull turning up to have a play, i had never got to see him race as he'd packed up just as i started, someone lent him a load of gear but he hadn't raced for ages and it showed.... The Preds were going well though, i remember that much - i had a couple of 2nd places with my Cat 2000 EC so was pretty happy with that at 14, i wish they'd done more of those events.
I've raced against Rory - and lost! His used cells took me to a BRCA Regional A final using a motor designed for Monster trucks (Truggy's in current marketing speak) in a Procat.
Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooles View Post
Hi there,

I thought you would be interested in seeing some more old Pred stuff... I'm too young for having raced those in the days (I'm not racing anyway, no tracks here...) but I love those cars, how they are made and how they feel and look! I hope you'll like those!

So here is a Pred XT

Those guys were mad : I love the fact the spoilers came with lexan parts to make them like an inverted plane wing The spare axle is a one-way version

And now, a NIB DTM. I love this also because every purse is labelled with the name of the guy that made it. It's pretty impressive!

It misses the instruction manual though

Hope you liked it!

Julien
did you just buy the dtm off ebaY resently??
Old 06-10-2010
oOple Contributor

VERY nice cars Julien !!!
Old 06-10-2010

Right, where's the XK98 and the camera...
Old 06-10-2010

Some nice cars there, i had one in the 90's, swapped my Bosscat for it. the other guys couldn't stay away from solid objects (at any speed!) let's just say the Bosscat suited his style! Predator was soooo smooth on carpet indoors, love the DTM one too.
Old 06-10-2010

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93works View Post
did you just buy the dtm off ebaY resently??
No, I didn't even knew there was one for sale. Damn I've bought mine of RC/Tech : it made the trip back from the US to Europe

Julien
Old 11-10-2010

I still have a MK1 pred i think from 1993?? , i wouldent mind parting with it if anyone is interested,
Old 13-10-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
yep been there twice !!! 1st time tangled with my 9 yr old nephew (driving a cat 2000) on a club night mine just fell apart at front gearbox area 2nd time some clown in following race switched on (same xtal) before i had chance to pick my car up and it careered off under some tables and self destructed
I had two preds first a "stick pack" car owned by William Mitcham with a Kev Moore shell on it 2nd car was a later "saddle pack" chassis (xk98?)
Also remember Graham Alsop flying at worksop indoor series (late 90,s)

never did manage to set gears properly !! howling like a demented banshee!

Oh happy days

still have a 410k keypad in my f103
Old 28-10-2010

Thought I`d join in...

I just pulled this out of my basement after forgetting about it for a couple of years. I don't know the exact model but the guy that gave it to me said it was a Predator. I`m thinking of restoring it but it`s very hard to find parts for this thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1009.jpg (35.9 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0996.jpg (39.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0989.jpg (43.0 KB, 141 views)
Old 28-10-2010

Looks to be mostly XK98 to me ? You rarely see a pre-x10 Pred thats totaly original though due to people breaking/upgrading them and using whatever parts they could get at the time no matter what model it was

Myself and a mate have got a couple of full boxes of brand new packaged Pred parts, maybe 250-300 odd packets... including a few gems such as an original '94 XT Pred large propshaft ( work of art in itself ), early gearbox tops, suspension arms, shocks etc etc and all parts moving all the way up to the P8.

When i went though all the suspension arms for example i never realised there were so many different revisons with very minor detail changes !

Ill be restoring my Preds but ill do a parts list next week if anyones interested in NIP parts from the XT to P8 and everything inbetween.... ?
Old 28-10-2010
Mad Member

Looks like a Predator XK98 with the saddle pack chassis and the red anodised bits, although the body is the older international/FTQ type.

Seeing the Schumacher Cat 2000 battery straps fitted to yours reminds me of a gang of us racing the Predators in late 90's, the other common modification was Losi XX4 rear wing mounts and associated rear wings to get more down force.

Thumbs up to collecting the old cars, definitely tempted with the P8 on ebay atm!
Old 06-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave77 View Post
Thought you guys might like to see some pics of my Vintage first gen predator.

This car is just a hash up of spare parts and was never raced as we did a fair bit of destruction testing at the beginning, hence the single colour shell. I raced from 88 - 94, and used a predator in the British National Championship (along with Kevin Moore, Richmond Rogers, Ben Sturnham and Rob Gammon) in 1994 before retiring.

The original carbon tub chassis is lovely. Just dragged it off the shelf at my folks where its been gathering dust for the last 15 years.

I have had my interest rekindled and just bought a B44 to start racing again.

Cheers
David

david i remember you racing that car up at stonehaven at one off the scottish rounds, in 1994. it was the day that ayrton senna unfortunitly. and i also remember that car cart-rolling up the back straight at full speed and all the wheels and wishbones ripped of it.

dont know if youll remember me (martin wallace) i think you were giving up buggys when i started them. i was running a yokomo yz10 from mike martin.
cars looking great btw. i have a predator international also and looking to restore it to. the buggys are coming back to life in scotland again for next year.

you up for a comeback if you arnt already?
Old 07-11-2010

I remember you Martin, and I also remember racing Stonehaven the day Senna died, and for some strange reason remember driving home from Stonehaven to Dundee as I was learning to drive full size cars at the time (and what a fortune that has cost me since then, but thats another story!) but I remember nothing at all about the race meeting, in fact dont recall that much about racing in 94 apart from the British rounds.

I bought a 2nd hand b44, and raced once at the Scottish regional Stonehaven and then a club round and thats it so far.

Plan to do the Scottish next yr, but have some set up work to do.

Maybe see you racing in '11.

Cheers
David
Old 08-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I still have a huge soft spot for the Preds. My first was an XT, then a 95 Pro, XK98 then P8 which I still have.

Was an awesome car and I never really suffered too much with breakages to be honest (except the XT I have to admit that). I remember doing an entire season, regionals and nationals with the P8 without putting a single part on it ... not even a spur or front wing!

On the sub topic I used to live down the road from Rory Cull. His dad, Roger, helped me a lot to get back into racing after my father died in 1990 and his mum, Fran', and I ran the club in Evesham for it's whole duration. Some of the nicest people you could hope to meet. Almost every time I drove one of Rory's cars I'd say "thats got no steering" to which he always replied "gets around alright". I think all my kit came as cast offs from Rory and Dan / Nick Marson for quite a number of years.