Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've run the Novak twice now and compared it back to back with my best brushed motors. It's definatley faster (and that's the 6.5 motor). It seems to keep accelerating on the straight for longer, whereas you can feel the brushed motor reaches it's top speed and hasn't any more to give. I have a setup question though...

I want to set it up to give a smooth a power delivery as possible. To this end i've set the minumum drive at it's lowest setting, otherwise the power is too choppy at the low end. I can also set something called 'dead band' too, but I have no ideas what it is or what it does ? Can anyone give me a clue as to what it does an how I should set it so that I get the smoothest throttle response. Ta.
Old 06-12-2005
Mad Member

Andy

The deadband is the area around neutral where the throttle or brakes dont function. So if you have the dead band set to a high value, you will be able to move the stick (or pull the trigger) a little around the neutral mark with no response.

A lower value setting will give instant response when the stick (or trigger) is moved.

I recommend a low value for deadband, that way, you can drive smoother as you have control as soon as you move the stick. Having said that, with a high value deadband, you will automatically compensate for it after a few races, its all what you are used to.
Old 06-12-2005
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Chris.

Thanks for the info.

Andy.
Old 13-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just thought i'd update anyone with how the GTB is going in case they have one / are thinking of getting one.

It's on it's way back to Novak in the USA !

I e-mailed them with the overheating problems I had at the Super Cup and at York and basically was told there is a problem with the thermal sensor and the unit needed to be returned for repair / exchange. Bummer.

Cost a few quid to send it back, will post how I get on, so back to brushed motors for now, good job I didn't sell the lathe.

If anyone knows of any new brushless systems on the way, please post, I was considering jumping to the Nosram system, but my sensible side says I should wait.....
Old 14-02-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

LRP Have a Sphere comp in the works, I was told that it was due out end of Jan but I have not seen one yet.

can handle a brushless motor down to 3.5 turns, and they also have a '4-star' motor due out with the speedo that is quicker than the all ready fast 3-start motor.

see mid-way down this page
http://www.rc10.com/shusting/CatalogHub/lrp/sphere.htm

edit - another bonus with the LRP setup is that if you region allows brushless motors, you will be able to use it, the Novak Velocity motor is not BRCA legal
http://www.brca.org/BRCA/elecboard/n...s%20latest.doc these are the only legal brushless motors for BRCA

Last edited by Chris Doughty; 14-02-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 14-02-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

I do know Tekin are working on a system, but as of yet, no details have been fed out, and even those in the loop for stuff don't know much if anything about it.
Old 14-02-2006
Super Moderator

But it will be sensorless!
Old 14-02-2006

If you have a system that is designed to run as sensorless, then you can run both sensored and sensorless motors, whereas if your ESC is designed for sensored, you are stuck with sensored motors.

But with sensorless, your software got to be realy on the ball. (throttle mapping, shit like that).
Old 02-03-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I got my sphere comp and vector 4-star, not tried them yet, but some interesting things to note.

it comes with a 'power' cap pre-installed, it is not wired direcly to the solder tabs and some out the side with the FET lead and reciever plug, I thought this was a neat little trick, you can hide' the cap under the solder tabs as well so no extra floor space is used up.

it has a very cool looking blue LED on it

its auto sensing brushed and brushless operation, you don't need to switch profiles when switching motor types

its Li-Po safe, it has auto cut-off when you use Li-Po

vector brushless motor is 8500 KV, and 61200 rpm on 7.2v.... OMG!!!

needless to say... its going in my 2WD
Old 02-03-2006
Administrator

Cool! is the motor a new one chris ?
What is the difference from the previous lrp brushless? will this one remain a bit cooler ? smoother ?
Old 03-03-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

its just a lower turn brushless motor, more power basically, comparable to a 7turn brushed.

the speedo is a 'racing' version of their 'sport' sphere.

the sphere comp has no reverse and fully 'racing spec' in the same way the QC2 and QC3 are. it also has lower motor limits so it would run whatever is available now cooler and faster.
Old 03-03-2006

Send a message via MSN to wouter.z

He guys,

This weekend i saw a new brushless system from GM/ graupner, its much smaller then the LRP/ NOvak system and it is also a lot cheaper.

http://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=2894

http://www.gm-racing.de/rwdownload/d..._brushless.pdf
Old 03-03-2006
Administrator

It looks good, but the price doesn't come with a motor?
Old 03-03-2006

No it doesnt come with a motor, but i have seen the esc for like 129 euro (+/-86 pounds) and the motors are like 69 euro (+/-46 pounds).
Old 03-03-2006

currently at the 12th euros in gran canaria there appears to be very little difference between the brushed and brushless in terms of speed most using them have opted for the lrp/nosram system mainly due to size .

those running them compare them to a very smooth brushed motor the only advantage appears to be in runtime ideal for the throttle jammers but people are still dumping so isnt the perfect solution most of us were hoping for.

Most people still seem o be stripping the brushless down to clear out all the crap so maintainance is still required just not as labour intensive.
Old 03-03-2006
Administrator

nice one Ian! good luck btw.

You 12th boys need to take something apart, the cars are so simple theres nothing else to do is there ? need something to pass the time !
Old 03-03-2006

I think the advantage will come from the motor being the same run after run, not like a brushed motor. I don't think efficieny will be greatly improved.
Old 03-03-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Wouter, did you see the GM system running, and if so what was the performance like??

Any idea which motor was in use - GM currently have 2 "legal" motors i believe??
Old 03-03-2006

well all I can say is that the motor was a evo 2 but i dont know what wind or if it was a ifmar spec(sensored), (I didnt ask because my german sucks)

And it was fast, at least as fast as the competition i think. The guy
(kim sitensky)that drove the system was in my quali and i was driving a 10*2 and he had the same speed as me, he only drove better.
Old 04-03-2006

update from 12th euros

lots of people now reverting to brushed motors complaining of a lack of feel, responsiveness similar to that of massive turbo lag especially around 7 mins when batts have lost their punch