Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 23-02-2010

Now in stock:

Mamba Max Pro ESC - £124.99
Field Link Programming Card - £23.59
Old 25-02-2010

Will say I've been running these in both 12th and TC... and they are very quick!
I was properly slaloming down teh straight last weekend as it had so much more straight line than anything else
Ok, I know it's not off-road, and Si and Andy are probably best placed to give the settings for that... but they do seem to be very versatile speedo, being able to handle up to 6s after all!

One slight word of caution on the programming card (although this is aimed more a spec class drivers than modified), is that you can't adjust the CHEAT mode RPM range with it, and I've been finding that a very useful tool to tune the speedo to different tracks for 10.5 TC and 12th.

Cheers
Ed
Old 26-02-2010

Ime thinking about one of these for a xx4:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=32320

1. Cant sus out if its sensored?
2. What is the 5700 motor in turns, ie 5.5t or 6.5t??????
3. Are they any good, compared to similar prices ie losi combo??
Old 26-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
One slight word of caution on the programming card (although this is aimed more a spec class drivers than modified), is that you can't adjust the CHEAT mode RPM range with it, and I've been finding that a very useful tool to tune the speedo to different tracks for 10.5 TC and 12th.

Cheers
Ed
That's a shame - I see you can alter the timing, but not the rev range. Oh well - back to the laptop idea then!
Old 26-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post

Hi David, not 100% sure but that speedo is sensorless i think. The new Mamba Max Pro is the first real 1/10th off road race spec speedo that castle have done, all the others in the past have been great basher speedos but not aimed at the racer.

Si
Old 26-02-2010

At the weekend i was helping one of the team install a new Mamba max pro speedo in a 1/10th off road buggy and he was having issues getting the speedo to talk with his KO transmitter, it would find full power and full break but not neutral. We found that the speedo did not have the latest firmware and once updated it worked fine

So far i have found in issues like this it is one of two things

1. Start by checking the firmware ensure you have the latest 1.24
2. Ensure your Tranny settings are per the Castle creations instruction manual

Si
Old 26-02-2010

Hi Si,

There's a 1.25 version of the software out now as well.
http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

Regards
Ed
Old 26-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post

1. The Sidewinder ESC and all Castle motors are sensorless.

2.In terms of APM the 5700 is slower than both the 5.5 and 6.5, but in terms of torque and overall power it has more than them. I would say it is similar to the 5.5 overall.

3. I used to run a Castle 4600 motor (on LiPos) in my XX4 and I had to limit it's power by programing the ESC because it was too powerful. I'm not sure the Sidewinder ESC can handle the loads of a 4X4, I used a Mamba Max ESC.
I would recommend fans for the ESC and motor.
I run a Sidewinder in my 2WD.

Avner.
Old 26-02-2010

ok thanks!
Old 09-06-2010

Hi All
I got myself a MMP and just want to know what settings to try in cheat mode for 13.5 class or would someone share their settings. I'm running a 13.5 Ballistic motor.

Thanx in advance
Old 09-06-2010

What type of car is this in?
CHEAT can be very powerful but do be careful not to over gear the motor with it and watch the motor temperatures.
I would recommend starting around 30 deg advance on a 13.5T and aim to start the timing ramp at around 8-9000 rpm.
As for FDR, I would gear one or 2 pinions lower than you would normally gear on a non-dynamic advance ESC. If you try to pull the same type of ratio, you may end up over gearing and can experience some motor stutter as you're effectively asking the motor to pull too higher ratio from standstill.

You will probably end up having to experiment a bit in order to find a profile and set up that suits you but once you do, I'm sure that you'll find it to be a very accomplished speedo.

Good luck
Old 10-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
What type of car is this in?
CHEAT can be very powerful but do be careful not to over gear the motor with it and watch the motor temperatures.
I would recommend starting around 30 deg advance on a 13.5T and aim to start the timing ramp at around 8-9000 rpm.
As for FDR, I would gear one or 2 pinions lower than you would normally gear on a non-dynamic advance ESC. If you try to pull the same type of ratio, you may end up over gearing and can experience some motor stutter as you're effectively asking the motor to pull too higher ratio from standstill.

You will probably end up having to experiment a bit in order to find a profile and set up that suits you but once you do, I'm sure that you'll find it to be a very accomplished speedo.

Good luck
Thanx
Will try it in my 1/10th touring car MI3
Old 30-07-2010

Hi can someone tell me how to setup the cheat mode timing?
its just i need to understand where to put the rev range in and out .if my 13.5 lrp x12 revs to 21000, do i set the timing , to come in at 18000 and on to 21000
as im just looking for more top end.

i understand gearing and temps (ie gearing high =more temps )

so can someone HELP

Graham
Old 02-08-2010

Im no help but just got to say Im running my stadium truck on mamba max esc and 5700kv brushless, which is like a 3.5 turn motor, my mates nitro cars and trucks cant keep up at all. I wont have any other brushless combo for racing or bashing, too many good points with it.
Old 02-08-2010

So i guess no one knows what is the correct way to do it.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
So i guess no one knows what is the correct way to do it.
Hi Graham,
Sorry but been away on holiday. Hope this isn't too late.

I've never been totally sure at what rpm my motors rev up to but I guess you may have yours hooked up to a data logger or rpm sensor?
Basically, all I have done is experimented using different amounts of advance to come in a different rpm ranges depending on the length of the straight.
If your motor revs to 21000 but is only getting to that point a 95% of the way down the straight then you'll want it to come in much earlier.
I would recommend, with a 13.5, to start with a TOTAL system advance of approx 35-40 degrees and get it coming in at around 12,000 rpm. When I say a total system advance - that includes the inbuilt motor advance which, on the X12 can be quite alot so I understand.
So try approx 22 - 26deg advance on the ESC to come in a little lower than you initially thought - basically, don't get it to come it so late along the straights that you just boost yourself past the turning apex at the end of them - normally, the main straight is the easy on to set for - it's the shorter straights in the infield which is where you need to optimise your advance point for.
Oh - and do keep an eye on motor temps and stay as cool as you feel comfortable with but always below 85deg - my motors run at approx 55-60 degC after a 5 minute qualifier outdoors.

Hope this helps
Old 23-10-2010

My MMP hasnt been updated yet but it wont bind to my KO but will bind to my cheap 27htz handset

What ive noticed when running it yesterday is that the power is abit unpredicable...almost like glitching

i dont know if this is becuase my MMP is still in smart sense mode but at lower speeds there seems to be a delay of a second or so before the ESC acceleration kicks in

ive set the bandwidth to small and punch to med

Ill wait and update the firmware on the esc and see what happens there...it maybe that this smartsense function isint as efficient with my motor as it could be
Old 28-10-2010

Im seriously considering one of these but would like some first hand info off you guys.

have any of you experienced servo or radio glitches?

I have read on other forums that they struggle with digital servos, and working with spektrum radio gear. i just wondered if anyone here has experienced the same as its only this issue thats putting me off buying one.
Old 28-10-2010
Banned

i have used them with loads of handset etc all fine in my 5 handsets
Old 29-10-2010

I've just set up the mamba max pro with a spektrum DX6i,
It didn't want to set up at first until i realised i had the throttle channel reversed.
Once i put it back to non reversed it works a treat.