Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 07-05-2012

Default another diff problem

ok, im on my last legs here with this ball diff, just bought a new rebuilt kit and followed online instructions. tightened it up etc and its smooth, not slipping when holding each outdrive
put it in the car, and it has no drive at all? this is the 3rd diff ive had, they either work for a while, then gradually lose drive, or dont work at all.
i really dont know what else to do, not sure if its me building it, or something else in the gearbox?
but im dangerously close to throwing the whole lot in the bin and going elsewhere!!!

any ideas?
Old 07-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you read through some of the the threads about the ball diff there is a part number for an X-ray C-clip that is a good fit and helps the issue of the diff failing.

I built my diff as per Durango video and it's been fine.

Iv fitted the gear diff and ran it Epr this weekend, it's great and you know it's not going to slip and maintenance is minimal, for £25 I think it's a bargain

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 07-05-2012

210 ball diffs are possibly the worst thing ever created!!
Old 07-05-2012

problem is ive spent a fortune on bits for the diff, and really cant bring myself to buy anything else for it, the diff feels fine, soon as its in the car, no drive
Old 07-05-2012

I don't think it's necessary to shell out on Xray ones. I bought these from eBay when I had my 210:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Circlip-In...6#ht_500wt_922
Old 07-05-2012

All it is,is a sh*te C clip,mine failed the first night using it and i put a Schumacher one in

Proper Job!!

Schumacher Laydown
Schumacher Cat L1

Schumacher
RC Octane
Old 07-05-2012
Banned

I've built two ball diffs now, not had any problems with either?
Is it defo the diff? The only problem I've had is the slipper pads on mine was shiny, it was loosing drive. Replaced with the associated ones and it's been great since.
Old 07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
I've built two ball diffs now, not had any problems with either?
Is it defo the diff? The only problem I've had is the slipper pads on mine was shiny, it was loosing drive. Replaced with the associated ones and it's been great since.
slipper pads are a bit worn, but i think its more than that, inspected the diff so many times ive literally had enough of taking it apart now. just cant understand how it doesnt slip when holding the wheel and spur, but as soon as i put it on the ground it screams at me!!!!!
Old 07-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee vee View Post
210 ball diffs are possibly the worst thing ever created!!
lol built mine perfect 1st time and it's never failed.

The geared diff on the other hand is the bane of my life
Old 07-05-2012

I have had the same issues with the diff although its been covered quiet a bit in the forum couldnt get to the bottom of it, as a last resort before I bought a different car eventually sent it back to TD who said they couldn't find anything a miss with it in either the way it was built or the parts in it. Adam rebuilt it and fitted a new circlip they had been testing but I haven't bothered trying it since it was sent back as I had bought the gear diff and am happy with it.

Although it could be the diff that's slipping you may want to check the spacer that goes in the gearbox (crunch spacer) as I also had an issue with the slipper slipping to a point where I had to run it tight and put 2 nuts on the slipper shaft as the slipper would undo itself in the mifdle of a run. I put a new spacer in and still have 2 nuts of the shaft and it seems to have solved the problem

Dex410 v3

RiponJetSkiClub.com
Old 07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLeeds View Post
I have had the same issues with the diff although its been covered quiet a bit in the forum couldnt get to the bottom of it, as a last resort before I bought a different car eventually sent it back to TD who said they couldn't find anything a miss with it in either the way it was built or the parts in it. Adam rebuilt it and fitted a new circlip they had been testing but I haven't bothered trying it since it was sent back as I had bought the gear diff and am happy with it.

Although it could be the diff that's slipping you may want to check the spacer that goes in the gearbox (crunch spacer) as I also had an issue with the slipper slipping to a point where I had to run it tight and put 2 nuts on the slipper shaft as the slipper would undo itself in the mifdle of a run. I put a new spacer in and still have 2 nuts of the shaft and it seems to have solved the problem
hmmm, this makes me think its not actually the diff
Old 07-05-2012

Any drive issue check the spacer on the top layshaft. Wears a slight bevelled edge on the outside of one end and inside of the other, it will only be tiny but is enough to prevent the slipper being tightened. Have seen a few of these now and new spacer cures everytime.
Old 07-05-2012
Mad Member

To over come the spacer issue have heard that if you put a second pad on the outside of the slipper it takes up the slack and solves the problem, not ideal but keeps you running!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo
Old 07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodchris View Post
To over come the spacer issue have heard that if you put a second pad on the outside of the slipper it takes up the slack and solves the problem, not ideal but keeps you running!

On my SV, when the slipper pads wore, I sanded them down and superglued together and used this with a new one on the other side.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80777
Old 07-05-2012

Thinking about it Chris, it must have been the slipper... no barking sounds or rough or loose feeling of the diff.
Mine did the same so I put ae pads in mine after the durango ones wore out in about 4 weeks from new, had them in for at least 8 weeks now with no problems
Old 07-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Any drive issue check the spacer on the top layshaft. Wears a slight bevelled edge on the outside of one end and inside of the other, it will only be tiny but is enough to prevent the slipper being tightened. Have seen a few of these now and new spacer cures everytime.
More info on this please as I think this is the problem I have as well

Got a picture of the parts your talking about so I can confirm ?

My diff is tight and very smooth but I put the slipper on and any pressure the car just free wheels and the top shaft through the slipper does not move at all ?

The part # 310241 is the part I am talking about it looks really worn ?
Old 08-05-2012
Mad Member

I find that filing down the spacer so that you can then put a steel 1/8th clutch shim at either end of the spacer really helps as it helps stop the wear on the aluminium spacer, this then fixes the slipper.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!